Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20150923_134549.jpg
I ventured out for lunch today to Lewes, combining the opportunity to try out the new rapid charger in Phoenix Causeway Car Park, BN7 2BY.

Unfortunately it was ICEd so I am pleased that I charged my car last night so I had enough juice for a round trip.

The council really need to make it clear that these bays are electric only. I also notice that they only hatched out one bay. Can these chargers do two cars at once?

Gary.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
They're completely separate, but both very useful reference points in these days when charger status is still unpredictable!

I was actually trying to identify the location by comparing your photo with the satellite view using your postcode, but couldn't quite manage it..!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The postcode appears to have put it on the wrong side of the roundabout. It's behind (North) the "Real Eating Company" on the restricted part of the High Street. Perfect for shopping.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a detailed response from Lewes District Council to an enquiry regarding the ICEing of the bays. They assure me that they are arranging "to have the bays correctly lined and signed ASAP to deter non electric vehicles parking in the 2 spaces".

They also add that they are looking "to amend the associated traffic order for the car park to word to enable the necessary enforcement".

A detailed, prompt response for which they should be commended in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks for adding the point and contacting the council. I will try to add a photo next time I am out that way. Hopefully with an EV rather than a couple of ICErs.:)

This looks like the same chargers installed under the Energise scheme and I do not think they are set up to charge two vehicles simultaneously at the moment.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Also, Selemston Services on the A27 just East of Lewes is showing as operational. This is so close to Lewes that it is almost like having a double point for plan b.

Another good point is that just up the road is Middle Farm. Home of the National Cider Collection. (Just find a designated driver;))

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is more in from my man at the council (in response to an additional query regarding parking charges).

"Yes, a valid P&D ticket is required for the space, as this is a rapid charger it should only be for one hour. The reason for this is to deter users not sterilising the space for other users for long periods i.e. shopping, however if say a 3 hour ticket was purchased, the owner could move to another space."

Seems like more of an aspiration for good etiquette rather than anything they would enforce through a traffic order but we shall see...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Not yet on CYC map, so it won't work on the app. It is, however, on the National Chargepoint Registry already, so will make its way onto Zap-Map and Openstreetmap. Plugshare, so far as I am aware, doesn't do any synchronisation with National Chargepoint Registry, so users will have to add that themselves.

From the photo, it looks like you have just about enough space between those ICE vehicles to squeeze a car in for a charge. You may have to exit through the boot to get out to charge.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
@garyk Someone else has added the Lewes point today in a slightly more accurate location. I have reported the duplication to Plugshare and it may be that your entry is removed in favour of the newer one. you can go back in and add your helpful comments to the new entry if you want. It could still use a photo though.

Someone has also added the point at Selmeston. If it was you or anyone else here thanks very much. I was planning to do it myself this weekend so it saved me a trip.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Following my note yesterday I took a trip over to Newhaven today and added the new Rapid Charger to Plug-Share. On the way back I updated the point at Phoenix Causeway Lewes with a photo. There were still to cars parked in the points next to the charger despite an almost empty car-park. It makes you think it was deliberate:mad:. The sooner there is proper enforcement so that the £70 penalty can be applied the better.

From the photo, it looks like you have just about enough space between those ICE vehicles to squeeze a car in for a charge. You may have to exit through the boot to get out to charge.
I drove the car up to the space where the two cars were parked today and it was almost as in the photo above. There was physically enough room for the car but not to open the door. In an emergency you could park on the road the other side of the charger. It has double yellow lines but I believe you are still allowed to stop for "Loading";).

There is no charge for the car park on a Sunday. The charges listed on CYC for the charging are 25p per minute for the first 10 minutes and then £1 per minute after 10 minutes. At this rate I imagine users will be grabbing 25 miles at a time and then moving on.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
25p per minute sounds expensive - akin to the cost of parking at a meter in central London. I didn't notice any cost marked on the chargers themselves. Do you still get charged if you use an RFID card?

Gary.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
When I signed up to get the card I remember adding account details. When I have used the paying CYC points (and there have been some free ones) I have received a bill at the end of the month and it was debited from my account.

I should discover next week.:eek:

Some of the new Sussex chargers were not yet linked in and set to work with any card. I used an Ecotricity card with the Midhurst charger:).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was in Lewes again today and the same car was blocking the charger as in my picture at the start of this thread!

The EV infrastructure is so fragile that It clearly only takes a small number of people to mess it up for us. In mitigation (if there is any) the car park was completely full and the only space available was a disabled bay. But priority parking is one of the reasons that I bought an electric car - that space was rightfully mine!

I think that I will be making some notes to leave on the windscreen next time this happens.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
priority parking is one of the reasons that I bought an electric car
Interesting to hear that. It's certainly a perk and I value it (in my case the free parking in Westminster) more now than when I was considering buying an EV. However I haven't heard it expressed as a primary reason for buying one before.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If only you could apply the charging rate for parking there that would put an end to it pretty quick.(25p per minute).
Remember that the council is losing the revenue from EVs against a cost of next to nothing.

That certainly justifies a penalty.

·
Registered
321 Posts
@garyk Someone else has added the Lewes point today in a slightly more accurate location. I have reported the duplication to Plugshare and it may be that your entry is removed in favour of the newer one. you can go back in and add your helpful comments to the new entry if you want. It could still use a photo though.

Someone has also added the point at Selmeston. If it was you or anyone else here thanks very much. I was planning to do it myself this weekend so it saved me a trip.
It was me! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts