Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently approved planning applications show the final locations of the public rapid chargers in Manchester, which should be installed and working by 31st May.

1. Manchester Regional Tennis Centre (Etihad Stadium)
2. Manchester Metropolitan University All Saints Campus (off Chester St, John Dalton Building)
3. Salford Royal, Stott Lane Car Park (No planning applications but the Mayor of Salford blogged the location here)

The locations are on this Google Map. The plans suggest that the units will be from Siemens.

I will probably use the chargers at Salford Royal and MMU, the one at Sports City seems oddly placed to me, but will probably be useful at some point. It is however in a car park so may not be available 24/7! The charger at MMU may also be subject to car park opening hours looking at the map.

What do you think of the locations, will the chargers get much use?

(For anyone interested there is also a planning application in for a private rapid charger at Piccadilly Station, on Station Approach, for use by the free Metroshuttle diesel-electric hybrid buses. This charger, in a prime location will be unused from 6pm everyday, so I would like to see it made available for public use after this time. It is not appropriate to have such a facility unused for 12 hours everyday.)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not yet. I expect after completion of Phase 2, TfGM will consider the fee structure to attract proposals from private sector operators for ongoing management of the network.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Would have preferred to see them outside the M60 I have never needed a rapid charge whilst going round town. However the Etihad one is 2-mins from where I work so can't really complain, well until it becomes £5/charge :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
The rapid charger at MMU would've been useful while I was studying over the last 3 years. I can still see myself popping up there to use it every now and again. From the location shown on Google Maps that looks like it's inside the staff car park at the John Dalton building which could cause problems with 24hr access.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Since it's on my way to work couldn't resist a quick look at progress at the Etihad/Tennis Centre Rapid, still a work in progress, but it's right next to the substation and the bays have already been painted up.

My only concern is that there are two sets of gates to go through to get to the tennis centre car park so that could be an issue out of hours.

Also Manchester City match days may also be a problem for access, but progress is progress and these bays are unlikely to be iced.

photo 3.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pictures, thanks for the update! It seems that alongside the rapid charger there will be a standard 32A GMEV post aswell. Sadly access is limited to car park opening hours.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I hope not website says
OPENING TIMES:
Monday to Friday 9am till 10pm
Saturday and Sunday 9am till 6pm

6pm on Saturdays would be a bit rubbish.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had another look today at 7:40am the fast point is fitted but no sign of a rapid or base for it! I hope this isn't another 22kw 'rapid' fiasco. On the positive side the gates to the car park were open.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looking at other CYC sites the term rapid is a bit ambiguous. These sites in York have the text rapid but the icon for a fast charger.

But even better is on this page they are actually 22Megawatt chargers so should charge the leaf in a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Guesty,

Yep, we're aware of this. For some reason the App developers classed anything over 7kWh as 'Rapid' on the description. It'll be fixed on the next update.

Cheers!

·
Registered
317 Posts
And just to confirm what Phil says, the locations of the three confirmed QCRs are

John Dalton car park. M1 5GE.
Stott Lane car park M6 8DD.
Etihad campus indoor tennis centre. M11 3FF – adjacent to the fast charger position.

There is also a fourth to be placed at Station Approach. M1 3B, subject to planning permission.

And as stated they'll be manufactured by Siemens and support CCS, CHAdeMO and AC 43kW charging.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks CYC great to hear there will indeed be a rapid charger at the location, in that case it's good to see a 7kw has been located onsite as well.

When is the next app update due?

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
And just to confirm what Phil says, the locations of the three confirmed QCRs are

John Dalton car park. M1 5GE.
Stott Lane car park M6 8DD.
Etihad campus indoor tennis centre. M11 3FF – adjacent to the fast charger position.

There is also a fourth to be placed at Station Approach. M1 3B, subject to planning permission.

And as stated they'll be manufactured by Siemens and support CCS, CHAdeMO and AC 43kW charging.
@CYC any update on the progress of the quick chargers I have been back to the tennis centre and the fast charger looks live but all the holes have now been filled and there doesn't seem to be any prep for the quick charger to go in.

I have a couple of colleagues who are just about to take the plunge on an EV and I think a rapid so close to our office will definitely swing it for them.

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Took another look this morning and the base has now appeared for the rapid which is great news. As you can see it is just next to the Fast charger so it's a great setup though a shame the gates are closed out of hours.

@CYC when will the fast posts appear on the CYC app, they appear powered up but when I search for the numbers they don't come up.

Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the update Guesty! The two bollards look fairly pointless, I wonder if they are not quite in the right place?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts