Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting an iPace last week, my first EV, I have been charging with the Granny cable as my Podpoint doesn't work (see other thread: engineer coming tomorrow).

This has been OK to top-up so far since my most common commute is about 40miles a day.

However, I have a longer trip starting early this Saturday (5am) and since it is inflexible on timing I though I'd use spare time today for a tour of various DC rapid chargers I'm likely to use.

I was already aware of the flakiness of Ecotricity CCS charging, perhaps more so with the iPace, so I planned preferential use of Polar/BP Chargemaster and Shell (my route on Saturday will also try Instavolt, which sounds good)

I had registered the relevant apps, noting that the BP Chargemaster app migrated my account from Polar (Instant and Plus), for which I have registered as a "free" 3 month trial. I have no RFID cards (in the post still) but the apps claimed to negate these...

I tried three Polar/BP Chargemaster chargers, including a new-looking 150KwH near Newport, S Wales (not that the iPace can charge at that rate)

ZapMap suggested all were working but none of the three (CCS) worked with the app and the helpline could not fix remotely. The helpline did get Type2 charge going on my 3rd charger but at a lowly 2%/hr.

This is the screen the BP Chargemaster app always got stuck on:

I logged these issues on ZapMap and shall have to retry once I have an RFID card, until they sort the apps.

The Shell charger was simplicity itself: contactless debit card worked, so I didn't try the app. The station was a bit cramped- will only charge one vehicle at a time at that site. Good rate of charge, considering I was starting at 75% just to test if it worked.

The surprise was that the easiest and fastest charges were courtesy of much-maligned Ecotricity/Electric Highway!
As a newbie, I've taken on board the message that they are unreliable. Granted, ZapMap had CCS as working at all 3 locations that I tried, but I was taking that with a pinch of salt.

Newbie observations:

-BP/Polar needs RFID card/fob despite new app that is meant to do away with this clutter
-Ecotricity worked today, at different sites, without any glitches
-Shell contact-less debit card worked well
-Newest 150kWH BP charger design was by a moron: v short cable so car has to be tight up against machine, blocking the small illegible screen (and cable hangs across awkwardly, so you have to lean round it to see if things are working, or walk round, away from plug.) The photo doesn't show the concrete step/plinth that is behind the post, adding to the obstacles blocking access to the display and controls. Why not put them on the side? I presume the short, stiff cable is because of the higher current for 150kWH rates.

Negatives aside, I spent over 6hrs driving around and never felt short of somewhere to charge (though I enviously eyed the banks of functioning Tesla Supercharger at Sarn!) even without Polar/BP (there were lots of options but I gave up after 3, assuming that the same problem would occur with each.)

Hopefully the need for apps and RFID cards will become a thing of the past.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The cables have to be short for 150kw so that’s why, it’s more to do with the placement of your ccs.

the Tesla superchargers also have short cables which if you don’t get close enough reversing in you have an embarrassing it won’t reach moment

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
the Tesla superchargers also have short cables which if you don’t get close enough reversing in you have an embarrassing it won’t reach moment
Never really an issue, even with a bike carrier on the tow hook. Because Tesla put the charging port in a sensible place.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Since getting an iPace last week, my first EV, I have been charging with the Granny cable as my Podpoint doesn't work (see other thread: engineer coming tomorrow).

This has been OK to top-up so far since my most common commute is about 40miles a day.

However, I have a longer trip starting early this Saturday (5am) and since it is inflexible on timing I though I'd use spare time today for a tour of various DC rapid chargers I'm likely to use.

I was already aware of the flakiness of Ecotricity CCS charging, perhaps more so with the iPace, so I planned preferential use of Polar/BP Chargemaster and Shell (my route on Saturday will also try Instavolt, which sounds good)

I had registered the relevant apps, noting that the BP Chargemaster app migrated my account from Polar (Instant and Plus), for which I have registered as a "free" 3 month trial. I have no RFID cards (in the post still) but the apps claimed to negate these...

I tried three Polar/BP Chargemaster chargers, including a new-looking 150KwH near Newport, S Wales (not that the iPace can charge at that rate)

ZapMap suggested all were working but none of the three (CCS) worked with the app and the helpline could not fix remotely. The helpline did get Type2 charge going on my 3rd charger but at a lowly 2%/hr.

This is the screen the BP Chargemaster app always got stuck on:

I logged these issues on ZapMap and shall have to retry once I have an RFID card, until they sort the apps.

The Shell charger was simplicity itself: contactless debit card worked, so I didn't try the app. The station was a bit cramped- will only charge one vehicle at a time at that site. Good rate of charge, considering I was starting at 75% just to test if it worked.

The surprise was that the easiest and fastest charges were courtesy of much-maligned Ecotricity/Electric Highway!
As a newbie, I've taken on board the message that they are unreliable. Granted, ZapMap had CCS as working at all 3 locations that I tried, but I was taking that with a pinch of salt.

Newbie observations:

-BP/Polar needs RFID card/fob despite new app that is meant to do away with this clutter
-Ecotricity worked today, at different sites, without any glitches
-Shell contact-less debit card worked well
-Newest 150kWH BP charger design was by a moron: v short cable so car has to be tight up against machine, blocking the small illegible screen (and cable hangs across awkwardly, so you have to lean round it to see if things are working, or walk round, away from plug.) The photo doesn't show the concrete step/plinth that is behind the post, adding to the obstacles blocking access to the display and controls. Why not put them on the side? I presume the short, stiff cable is because of the higher current for 150kWH rates.

Negatives aside, I spent over 6hrs driving around and never felt short of somewhere to charge (though I enviously eyed the banks of functioning Tesla Supercharger at Sarn!) even without Polar/BP (there were lots of options but I gave up after 3, assuming that the same problem would occur with each.)

Hopefully the need for apps and RFID cards will become a thing of the past.
Polar accepts just contactless payment, so it would have been the easiest of the lot, if you'd have done that. Slightly more expensive than using the RFID though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Polar accepts just contactless payment, so it would have been the easiest of the lot, if you'd have done that. Slightly more expensive than using the RFID though.
That was something tried when I phoned the helpline. One charger did then work with Type 2 but v slow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used a Polar Rapid at Holiday Inn, Huntingdon Racecourse yesterday. Rated at 50 kW. Charge started OK but when I got back after 30 mins it had only charged 5 kW. Was too late then to switch to my alternate (Ecotricity Cambridge Services) as I had to pick someone up, so I waited another 30 mins and got a total of 10 kWh. I assume it is the device at fault as my Leaf62 battery temp was <50% on the gauge and I later charged successfully at 41kW at Peterborough Services.

Is there any easy way to tell if a device is charging at full capacity without having to waste time hanging around for some time to get an initial sense of the actual charge rate?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Is there any easy way to tell if a device is charging at full capacity without having to waste time hanging around for some time to get an initial sense of the actual charge rate?
Doesn't the in-car display showing how long it will take to charge to different % levels give you some idea? It also displays the charging rate just to the right of the battery column image (with the horizontal bars showing how full the battery is).

IMG_20200731_162734.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Doesn't the in-car display showing how long it will take to charge to different % levels give you some idea? It also displays the charging rate just to the right of the battery column image (with the horizontal bars showing how full the battery is).
I thought that was just based on the assumed charge rate that you program in the Settings Menu. Is there a live charge rate display somewhere? It's quite possible I've missed it.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I thought that was just based on the assumed charge rate that you program in the Settings Menu. Is there a live charge rate display somewhere? It's quite possible I've missed it.
What you are seeing in the picture is indeed the assumed charge rate because it's not plugged in or charging. When you charge at a rapid (or anywhere) that 6kW is replaced with the actual charging rate. Check it out next time you are charging somewhere. I monitor that screen all the time (when I'm in the car) when I am charging away from home.

Don't forget you have to turn the car off completely to initiate a charge, so you have to turn it back on once charging has started to see the screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What you are seeing in the picture is indeed the assumed charge rate because it's not plugged in or charging. When you charge at a rapid (or anywhere) that 6kW is replaced with the actual charging rate. Check it out next time you are charging somewhere. I monitor that screen all the time (when I'm in the car) when I am charging away from home.

Don't forget you have to turn the car off completely to initiate a charge, so you have to turn it back on once charging has started to see the screen.
Well you live and learn.
Still wondering why the Polar Rapid was only charging at 10kW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts