Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a survey for a proposed rapid charging system for home use. The research is part of a university project and is just an idea but would hugely appreciate any responses. It's only 6 questions and takes one minute! The questions are for EV owners and ask about charging habits etc.

Rapid EV charging at home - here's the link at Survey Monkey!

The premise would be to use second-life electric vehicle batteries in a home charging system. The grid would 'slow' charge the battery when not in use and then discharge into an EV quickly. The charger would also have the capability to charge slowly if the owner wanted. There are several companies using this idea for rapid charging, however, it seems only in the public charging network.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
It’s hard to imagine anyone that would want this. Charging overnight is cheap and easy. Why charge one battery at home to charge a second? It would be very expensive to have a second battery and your own rapid charging to use once a day or less. Far cheaper to use the public rapid infrastructure.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,931 Posts
Well I could see myself going for it, not so much for the Rapid charging yet, but if I can use my surplus solar charge it and top it up on cheap rate and draw from it for the household when I wanted to then yes. Sounds like a home battery storage facility with rapid charging included.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This possibly make sense for someone who doesn't have 3 phase and is a heavy user of EV, so want to have 11KW/22KW charger at home! I would imagine it is a very small population now! With more cars with 100kwh plus batteries in the future, there might be a market. However, you would expect requiring smart charging, grid-balancing support and similar options to bring in necessary savings. And battery costs also are prohibitive now - second-life batteries could be cheaper, but needs to see how much! So in summary, may be a couple of years too early!

·
Premium Member
9,874 Posts
You created two posts the same which fragments discussion. I responded to the other one :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. The cost element seems to be the deciding prohibitive factor here. For more info on the project, we are also looking at this solution for the public charging network. For the assignment we had to show we had done some primary research so we wanted to see what EV owners thought and had to say concerning home use. Here's the link to the article we got the idea from if anyone is interested: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301479718313124

:)

@proddick afraid i'm new to forums so was unsure how to approach

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you had a larger capacity EV (Tesla, Kona, Jaguar, etc), then you'd need a 'second life' battery pack of equivalent capacity to act as a buffer, or else you'd be rapid charging for the first 25%, then slow to a far slower rate when the static storage battery is depleted, if for instance you used a single old Nissan Leaf battery pack.

Even 'second life' battery packs are rather expensive. You'd have to use it a lot as the sole user to really get any return on your investment. Taxi driver who requires fast turnaround in an area not otherwise served by public rapid charging infrastructure; that's about the only use I can think for it where it might just about make financial sense. It would probably still work out cheaper to actually do a Formula E and have a spare car.

I can see this far more useful in remote locations with poor grid connections to be able to offer rapid charging to the public where there otherwise would be no rapid charging at all. Charge above the average, say £0.35/kWh to recoup your investment. Can anyone say Mid Wales here? You'd still have to have a static battery buffer of greater capacity than the average vehicle that visits it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. The cost element seems to be the deciding prohibitive factor here.
Not really, as far as I can see. It’s lack of demand.

99% of EV owners will be fine with 7kw home charging. It lets them use Economy 7 to charge in just about the most economical way, and is gentle on the battery.

It would be a rare user who needed to add more range than is possible overnight at 7kw.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Forget rapid charging, I had a chat with a local electrician having noted that Zappi is now offering a 3 phase EV charger. When I asked about the cost of a 3 phase supply, the response was along the lines of ‘many £000s’.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts