Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ignoring the cost implications, does anyone know if rapid charging (DC fast charge) depletes the battery if used once or twice a week? My main recharge will be done using a 7kw home charger but occasionally would need to use faster charge.

I know there was a study in California that showed an impact but this doesn’t seem to be real world. I understand the Disco has battery management etc to protect the battery somewhat so wanted to get peoples thoughts. I’ve pinged JLR about this but haven’t heard back yet (the context of the question is for Land Rover discovery )

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
Which car are you talking about?

Currently the only car that JLR make that can rapid charge is the iPace.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Ignoring the cost implications, does anyone know if rapid charging (DC fast charge) depletes the battery if used once or twice a week? My main recharge will be done using a 7kw home charger but occasionally would need to use faster charge.

I know there was a study in California that showed an impact but this doesn’t seem to be real world. I understand the Disco has battery management etc to protect the battery somewhat so wanted to get peoples thoughts. I’ve pinged JLR about this but haven’t heard back yet (the context of the question is for Land Rover discovery )
Remember batteries are not all the same. You can only really compare if the C rate is the same, chemistry is the same, BMS is the same. Otherwise it's pointless arm waving or unnecessary worry.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Which car are you talking about?

Currently the only car that JLR make that can rapid charge is the iPace.

OP mentions the Land Rover Discovery, which is not an EV, so has no charging capability at all. Seems there may be some confusion as to the actual car in question, perhaps.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
OP mentions the Land Rover Discovery, which is not an EV, so has no charging capability at all. Seems there may be some confusion as to the actual car in question, perhaps.
All of the Land Rover/Range Rover line is now offered as PHEV. I wondered if he was referring to this version?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
All of the Land Rover/Range Rover line is now offered as PHEV. I wondered if he was referring to this version?

Not all. They do not seem to offer the Discovery as a PHEV, only the smaller Discovery Sport, Plus the Range Rover and Defender PHEVs

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
686 Posts
I have just had a quick look on a JLR site to read about the discovery sport, and, although I may be wrong, I can't see any evidence that it is capable of rapid charging. In common with most PHEVs.

The site shows questions about charging, including "What options do I have to charge my car" and the only options are "AC charging", "Regenerative braking" and "Overrun".

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I have just had a quick look on a JLR site to read about the discovery sport, and, although I may be wrong, I can't see any evidence that it is capable of rapid charging. In common with most PHEVs.

The site shows questions about charging, including "What options do I have to charge my car" and the only options are "AC charging", "Regenerative braking" and "Overrun".

I got the same impression. I couldn't see any CCS options listed for the PHEVs. I think it's only a few PHEVs that do have a CCS option, and even then it seems pretty slow.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
686 Posts
I got the same impression. I couldn't see any CCS options listed for the PHEVs. I think it's only a few PHEVs that do have a CCS option, and even then it seems pretty slow.
There was also a picture of a charging port on the site and it very much looked type 2 only.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
139 Posts
Most phev do not have rapid charging ability due to the typically small battery. Most are 7 or maybe 11 kW

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
Not all. They do not seem to offer the Discovery as a PHEV, only the smaller Discovery Sport, Plus the Range Rover and Defender PHEVs
As the OP confirmed, a Disco Sport.

To be honest as a relatively new Land Rover owner and enthusiast, I’m still confused about the line-up! :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
There are battery life curves for the i3 showing the effect of rapid charging and there is definitely a reduced battery life, however, there is a maximum charge rate anyway and it’s unlikely to be a problem unless you are doing it very frequently.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts