Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found out if the 2000 kWh of 'We Connect' charging bundled with the car can be used in the UK on charging networks other than Ionity? Looking at the Ionity map there's not a single charger that's likely to be of any use to me and the expansion of their charging network seems to be quite slow.

I downloaded the We connect app and it accepted the VW id that I have set up then presented me with several pages of setup in German before kicking me out with a message along the line of the app's not enabled in my country.

I find it a bit odd to advertise the car with the bundled charging (which we are effectively paying for) if it's not possible to use it.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
984 Posts
I've admittedly not been paying too much attention to what VW have been up to, but the last time I looked at it, Ionity was your only option.

Welcome Break and Extra motorway service stations seem to be moving forward with installing them at most of their sites. You might find they become more useful in the future, but you'll probably find yourself paying for the use of other charging networks instead most likely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anyone found out if the 2000 kWh of 'We Connect' charging bundled with the car can be used in the UK on charging networks other than Ionity? Looking at the Ionity map there's not a single charger that's likely to be of any use to me and the expansion of their charging network seems to be quite slow.

I downloaded the We connect app and it accepted the VW id that I have set up then presented me with several pages of setup in German before kicking me out with a message along the line of the app's not enabled in my country.

I find it a bit odd to advertise the car with the bundled charging (which we are effectively paying for) if it's not possible to use it.
I started filling out my details on the We Connect App. But stopped when It asked for credit card details. I too live in a Ionity free area.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My understanding is that other networks are supported. For example where I live it shows a Polar charger as my nearest charger, and the t's and c's talk of charges from other networks (the number of kilowatt hours may differ if the charging credit is used with other operators whose prices vary).

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
There are a lot of VW branded chargers going in at Tesco store car parks as well, I’d have thought they’d be included.

I’ve signed up to We Charge, got notification my RFID card has been posted last week. I had to supply some card details but no great shakes.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,830 Posts
There are a lot of VW branded chargers going in at Tesco store car parks as well, I’d have thought they’d be included.

I’ve signed up to We Charge, got notification my RFID card has been posted last week. I had to supply some card details but no great shakes.
From what I've read, although VW sponsored the installation, the chargers are operated by PodPoint. Tesco pick up the electricity bill for the 7kW ones.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had a look on Zap-map and as far as I can see the only Tesco with a PodPoint rapid is Crawley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts