Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found out if the 2000 kWh of 'We Connect' charging bundled with the car can be used in the UK on charging networks other than Ionity? Looking at the Ionity map there's not a single charger that's likely to be of any use to me and the expansion of their charging network seems to be quite slow.

I downloaded the We connect app and it accepted the VW id that I have set up then presented me with several pages of setup in German before kicking me out with a message along the line of the app's not enabled in my country.

I find it a bit odd to advertise the car with the bundled charging (which we are effectively paying for) if it's not possible to use it.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,248 Posts
I've admittedly not been paying too much attention to what VW have been up to, but the last time I looked at it, Ionity was your only option.

Welcome Break and Extra motorway service stations seem to be moving forward with installing them at most of their sites. You might find they become more useful in the future, but you'll probably find yourself paying for the use of other charging networks instead most likely.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone found out if the 2000 kWh of 'We Connect' charging bundled with the car can be used in the UK on charging networks other than Ionity? Looking at the Ionity map there's not a single charger that's likely to be of any use to me and the expansion of their charging network seems to be quite slow.

I downloaded the We connect app and it accepted the VW id that I have set up then presented me with several pages of setup in German before kicking me out with a message along the line of the app's not enabled in my country.

I find it a bit odd to advertise the car with the bundled charging (which we are effectively paying for) if it's not possible to use it.
I started filling out my details on the We Connect App. But stopped when It asked for credit card details. I too live in a Ionity free area.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
67 Posts
My understanding is that other networks are supported. For example where I live it shows a Polar charger as my nearest charger, and the t's and c's talk of charges from other networks (the number of kilowatt hours may differ if the charging credit is used with other operators whose prices vary).

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,907 Posts
There are a lot of VW branded chargers going in at Tesco store car parks as well, I’d have thought they’d be included.

I’ve signed up to We Charge, got notification my RFID card has been posted last week. I had to supply some card details but no great shakes.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,322 Posts
There are a lot of VW branded chargers going in at Tesco store car parks as well, I’d have thought they’d be included.

I’ve signed up to We Charge, got notification my RFID card has been posted last week. I had to supply some card details but no great shakes.
From what I've read, although VW sponsored the installation, the chargers are operated by PodPoint. Tesco pick up the electricity bill for the 7kW ones.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had a look on Zap-map and as far as I can see the only Tesco with a PodPoint rapid is Crawley.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
67 Posts
Further to my earlier post, although the t's and c's talk of other networks being supported. It is not clear there are any third party networks supported in the UK. I have requests into VW UK via my dealer for information on how the card is supposed to be useful in the UK. I also emailed we charge support and the first movers club but the answers were not useful, i.e. just telling me how to register the card! In the meanwhile I ordered a Polar Plus card. I am planning a long journey next week where I will pass Ionity in Leeds so may get the chance to charge at 100kwh using the card, we will see. Otherwise my nearest Ionity is 43 miles away at Newport Pagnell.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,525 Posts
Further to my earlier post, although the t's and c's talk of other networks being supported. It is not clear there are any third party networks supported in the UK. I have requests into VW UK via my dealer for information on how the card is supposed to be useful in the UK. I also emailed we charge support and the first movers club but the answers were not useful, i.e. just telling me how to register the card! In the meanwhile I ordered a Polar Plus card. I am planning a long journey next week where I will pass Ionity in Leeds so may get the chance to charge at 100kwh using the card, we will see. Otherwise my nearest Ionity is 43 miles away at Newport Pagnell.
If you are looking for super-rapids (above 50kw CCS) then some Shell recharge ones are, and some BPChargemaster/Polar ones are. These have bank card contactless so no phaff-ing beforehand for a trip "tomorrow".
And, cheaper than a 69p Ionity !!
Also the Instavolt northeast of Chesterfield that's by a just off M1-KFC - that's a 100kw that will do bank card.
Zapmap being the best way to check what power they deliver in theory.

Reactions: ID.3_Man

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've tested to see if either Polar or GeniePoint are on the WeCharge list and the WeCharge Elli card didn't work for either. Fortunately I have a Polar card and an account with GeniePoint, so getting a charge wasn't a problem.

My nearest Ionity is 6 miles away at the RoadChef services on J8 of the M20, so whilst it might be handy coming back from an out of range trip, it won't be getting any use for my usual local mileage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've tested to see if either Polar or GeniePoint are on the WeCharge list and the WeCharge Elli card didn't work for either. Fortunately I have a Polar card and an account with GeniePoint, so getting a charge wasn't a problem.

My nearest Ionity is 6 miles away at the RoadChef services on J8 of the M20, so whilst it might be handy coming back from an out of range trip, it won't be getting any use for my usual local mileage.
Thanks for the update. My nearest IONITY charger is 26 miles from my house so that won’t be getting much attention from me either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just put my name down for info /order details etc for the ID.4 - I wonder if VW will do the same in the UK as they are in the US for the ID.4 (I doubt it)

New VW ID.4 Electric SUV Owners To Get 3 Years Of Free Charging In The U.S.

VW and Electrify America announced their agreement to offer free unlimited charging to owners of the upcoming 2021 ID.4 electric SUV for three years.

VW customers who lease or purchase the upcoming ID.4 electric SUV will receive three years of unlimited charging sessions in Electrify America’s charger network, which includes more than 470 charging stations and over 2,000 DC fast chargers with power levels up to 350 kW.

Now, if you’re wondering about the small print, here’s what VW says:

“Non-transferable. Not available for commercial use, such as ridesharing. Requires Electrify America account, app, and acceptance of Terms of Use. After user-initiated charge session stop or vehicle reaches full charge, and 10-min grace period, Idle Fees will apply and user is responsible. In the event of suspected fraud or abuse or other unforeseen events, Volkswagen of America may discontinue or modify the offer in its sole discretion.”

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
67 Posts
If you are looking for super-rapids (above 50kw CCS) then some Shell recharge ones are, and some BPChargemaster/Polar ones are. These have bank card contactless so no phaff-ing beforehand for a trip "tomorrow".
And, cheaper than a 69p Ionity !!
Also the Instavolt northeast of Chesterfield that's by a just off M1-KFC - that's a 100kw that will do bank card.
Zapmap being the best way to check what power they deliver in theory.
Yes I would not consider Ionity at 69p, only planning a stop since I have the We charge card and it may be my only chance to use up some of the 2000kwh of charging that comes with the car !

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
67 Posts
As it turned out, I did get to Ionity in Leeds and it was dispensing free at 35 kwh, so I have not been able to use the We charge card at all yet. I'm also still in search of the elusive 100kwh charging session. I did get to ~70kwh charging at InstaVolt. Near me are Polars at 50kwh

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With only 11 working charging stations in the UK, they're unlikely to be on many peoples regular routes at distances that are useful. A rapid charger a few miles from home can be convenient if you need a few kWh to complete a long journey. Then there are the owners who can't fit a home charger.

·
Registered
61 Posts
With only 11 working charging stations in the UK, they're unlikely to be on many peoples regular routes at distances that are useful. A rapid charger a few miles from home can be convenient if you need a few kWh to complete a long journey. Then there are the owners who can't fit a home charger.
Wow 11? Is that Ionity? that is really disappointing - how much do they cost once the free amount is used up for VW owners? 69p is frankly ludicrous if that is the ongoing cost.

scrap that just found the cost online - mostly cost isn't great....

·
Registered
300 Posts
I see a lot of comments about not having rapid chargers close to them. Surely that's irrelevant as you would be using them on trips only. Wont regular rapid charging damage the battery?
It depends on what you call regular, or did you mean frequent? On a long drive you might recharge using a Rapid DC a couple of times. As long as you recharge each time to 80%, the Battery Management System (BMS) in the ID.3 should do the job of keeping the battery conditioned, ie regulating temperature as charging is performed. Remember that VW guarantee the battery for 8 years or 200,000 km. They design in a battery buffer so that the actual battery pack size and what is usable are different. So handling multiple Rapid DC charging events in a day as you might be on a long trip will be fine. As far as Fast AC, then the power input is much less, so the BMS has an easier job. You can be fairly frequent with AC charging, and take it up to 100%.
Before my ID.3 I had an e-Golf which did had a BMS without active thermal management and with a shorter range so a longer trip had me Rapid DC charging three times in the same day. I saw no detrimental effects.
I see that the ID.3 would do the same trip with just 1 Rapid DC charge - that's progress!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts