Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Currently writing a bid to Welsh Government for them to try and fund a Rapid Charging hub at Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire just off the A48 and near to Starbucks, Aldi, McDonalds etc.
The hub will initially consist of:
  • 4 x 50kW Rapid Chargers
  • 1 x 150kW Ultra Rapid Charger
If this is something you would like to see please write an email of support that I can use as an evidence base attached to the bid. Email is [email protected]

Kind Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is the best news I have heard for some time.
Will send an email later to you.
West Wales is woefully short of rapid chargers.
Often though Crosshands is an ideal spot for multiple rapids.

·
Registered
368 Posts
More good news.
A project to install 150 on-street charging points in Lancashire is nearing completion. Lancashire County Council say that EV drivers will be able to plug in at "most" of the County's town centres. And last week saw the opening of a charging "super hub" at the Park and Ride near Junction 34 of the M6 at Lancaster. The chargers are a mix of both 7kw and 50kw. Details in my local rag are somewhat sketchy, but perhaps there may be more information available from Lancashire CC?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Personally i would say youd be better with 2x 150kw units and 2x 50kw with some 7kw posts on freevend for those that are there for meals and just after a topup for the 1-3hrs they are there.

Just my thinking on it but having it near those services is a big boon. Also a small toilet unit thats open 24/7 if there isn't a 24/7 accessible one.
Nice big bays as well please of disabled size for each unit and for the 50kw units please at least 1 that can share between AC/DC power :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sure, 150kw chargers would be ideal Kingpleb, but we're pretty much at the mercy of those whom supply and install the infrastructure. We can only use what they install (or not of course).

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Very true but it's worth pushing for it or even the likes of Alfapower as at least they are 100kw then

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think market forces may eventually dictate that faster chargers become the norm, although it isn't going to be speedy process. We'll see in time..........

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
@Thomas Evans, I know this is not your neck of the woods, but before I can get to use a Rapid charging point at Crosshands, I would need one at Builth Wells. Also, coming down the A483 / A40 I am more likely to be heading for Carmarthen and the Nant-y-Ci Park & Ride, or for the M4 with the EH charging point at Pont Abraham than for a charging point at Crosshands.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I honestly thought there would be more interest/support for this idea.

I'm currently going back to Welsh Government with 0 letters of support that users would like to see more rapid charging points in West Wales.
Have you spoken to Instavolt ? they will install for free and pay rent.

There may be others as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you spoken to Instavolt ? they will install for free and pay rent.

There may be others as well.
Therein lies the problem. We have to adhere to procurement rules and would not simply be able to give directly to one company. This would require an exercise via Sell2Wales and we would effectively be passing on a prime site which could provide an income stream.

@Thomas Evans, I know this is not your neck of the woods, but before I can get to use a Rapid charging point at Crosshands, I would need one at Builth Wells. Also, coming down the A483 / A40 I am more likely to be heading for Carmarthen and the Nant-y-Ci Park & Ride, or for the M4 with the EH charging point at Pont Abraham than for a charging point at Crosshands.
In response to this we are trying to create a network of chargers throughout Carmarthenshire that house more than one charger (to improve reliability). The Cross Hands hub would be adjacent to shops and other facilities such as toilets (one of the criticisms for other sites).

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have to adhere to procurement rules and would not simply be able to give directly to one company.
Approach a number of companies and get them to provide proposed solutions, some of these: Instavolt, Engenie, Alfapower, Geniepoint (Engie), BP Chargemaster, Pod-Point. You probably the find the first 3 will be very eager.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know this is not your neck of the woods, but before I can get to use a Rapid charging point at Crosshands, I would need one at Builth Wells. Also, coming down the A483 / A40 I am more likely to be heading for Carmarthen and the Nant-y-Ci Park & Ride, or for the M4 with the EH charging point at Pont Abraham than for a charging point at Crosshands.
Dave - that misses the point a bit. May not be entirely where you would need a rapid charge - and I agree with you entirely about Builth Wells, but that's not in Carmarthenshire, for which Thomas works. You must surely support the principle, and could make the point that parts of Wales area a desert for rapid charging. Send him a supportive e-mail!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts