Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With EVs becoming more common, and with some networks still only deploying single rapid chargers at locations, I often end up queueing for a charge.

Right now, I arrived a few seconds after an i-Pace at a Chargemaster Ultracharger. Needless to say, I'll be waiting for quite some time while it pulls lots of power from the CCS connector.
That's one of the rapid charger designs that can only serve one vehicle at a time.
I use Chademo. I can plug in, but I have to wait to authenticate until they're completely done and returned to their car.

The last time I used an ABB, it was only set up to serve one vehicle at a time, but theoretically, it could accept the authentication and start charging as soon as the required charging modules became available to send the power to the Chademo interface; only this was on the Pod-Point network, and their app didn't support the concept that the ABBs could do this.

So, has anyone successfully queued up a charge on any DC rapid charger when there's another DC charing vehicle connected? (I have used units that can share DC charging, that's not what I'm talking about here, it's being able to plug into an available connector, authenticate and then leave the car to charge when it becomes available). What network was it on?

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I sympathise with your plight, but I don't really see the point in the extra software required to allow this to happen, just because it's one CCS and one CHAdeMO. What if it were two CHAdeMO or two CCS vehicles involved? The inbuilt computer is fully occupied with charging the car it's currently servicing, without diverting resources for some parallel operation.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hang on... rapids 5 years ago happily charged Chademo and CCS at the same time up here in the north east (free vend). Has this gone backwards?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hang on... rapids 5 years ago happily charged Chademo and CCS at the same time up here in the north east (free vend). Has this gone backwards?
Can you give any examples of chargers that do this in the north east? Most of the CYC chargers here are efacec units which can do AC and DC together but the second DC connector will say unavailable. The other common chargers here are DBT, which only allows one session at a time no matter how it is configured. Less common ABB units let you plug in two together and queue the second DC charge but definitely not charge two DC connections at the same time.

That just leaves the newer installs by Polar (ultracharge) and the Tritium chargers by Instavolt. Both of them are software restricted to say only one connection at a time.

Thinking back to the older units i frequented around 5+ years ago they were all the old SGTE ones which only did chademo and nothing else. So I’m interested to see if I’m forgetting any that are actually capable of multiple DC sessions at the same time.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,027 Posts
I sympathise with your plight, but I don't really see the point in the extra software required to allow this to happen,
errr... pretty obvious that one. You can set it to 'go' then head off for lunch. You'll have 90 minutes.

Otherwise, you have to kick around for 40 mins or so, wait your turn to put your name in, then go rush your lunch for fear some charger-fascist will come along and harass you for being too long on the point without charging.

As I have proposed before, charge points should be located at the centre of 6 bays and have at least two leads for each plug type. Then just plug in and 'pre-authorise', then head off. Doesn't then matter if you overstay a bit once your turn to charge has completed.

Y'see, I suggested all of this 5 years ago, and because it is a great idea it'll eventually come to pass, but not until everyone else's thinking catches up.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
So, has anyone successfully queued up a charge on any DC rapid charger when there's another DC charing vehicle connected? (I have used units that can share DC charging, that's not what I'm talking about here, it's being able to plug into an available connector, authenticate and then leave the car to charge when it becomes available). What network was it on?
Any ABB charger that doesn’t require authorisation to start a charge session should be capable of that. So the CPS/CYC ones which to my knowledge are all still offline at the moment will do this, as will the Fastned ones which were also still in free vend last time I was there.

Off the top of my head, ABB rapids are the only ones capable of this, and generally only while offline.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Can you give any examples of chargers that do this in the north east? Most of the CYC chargers here are efacec units which can do AC and DC together but the second DC connector will say unavailable. The other common chargers here are DBT, which only allows one session at a time no matter how it is configured. Less common ABB units let you plug in two together and queue the second DC charge but definitely not charge two DC connections at the same time.
I was not aware either until someone pulled up and said the one on the A1 services in Northumberland did both. He plugged in and seemed happy along side me then walked off to the services. It is possible he misunderstood what was happening... I just assumed he was right.

Will the ultracharger ones do AC and DC together? But not Chademo and CCS?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I was not aware either until someone pulled up and said the one on the A1 services in Northumberland did both. He plugged in and seemed happy along side me then walked off to the services. It is possible he misunderstood what was happening... I just assumed he was right.

Will the ultracharger ones do AC and DC together? But not Chademo and CCS?
Nope, ultracharge is one session at a time. Sorry if I wasn’t clear in the last post. It won’t even do AC and DC together.

Should I assume you are talking about Stannington? That’s another ABB Unit. You can do 1 AC and 1 DC together at a time. If you try 2 DC connections it will queue the charge session and put a prompt on screen saying it’s waiting for sufficient power to become available for that connector.

Old versions of the software claimed it would load balance but it didn’t actually do so in practice. It just waited for the first user to unplug and then it would start the second DC charge.

I thought the Instavolt ones could handle 2 cars at once (CCS & Chademo)?
Nope. One connector can be used at a time on their 50kW units. I don’t know about their new ones though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts