Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do people insist in charging to 100% on a Rapid?? It is well reported that the charge rate dramatically drops when you get to a high %age SOC. Rapids should only be used to provide enough charge to reach your next destination. Further, why do people insist on using the Rapid AC charger on a Rapid and complain that they only get a low charge rate?? The charge rate on a AC can only be as fast as the on-board charger, which is typically 6 to 7kW! From my recollection, it was only the Zoe that was able to rapid charge on AC at Rapids...

·
Registered
470 Posts
We've been here quite a bit in previous threads...you'll get plenty of opinion, most agreeing with your points. However, I would say that the issue for Rapids isn't State of Charge per se, it's charging rate. Some cars throttle charge rate very aggressively, others will run to high SoC whilst still taking full power. Therefore best route we seem to have arrived at in previous discussions is either a time-based (per minute) element to the charging scheme, or overstay penalties that are rigorously enforced.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,168 Posts
Why do people insist in charging to 100% on a Rapid?? It is well reported that the charge rate dramatically drops when you get to a high %age SOC. Rapids should only be used to provide enough charge to reach your next destination. Further, why do people insist on using the Rapid AC charger on a Rapid and complain that they only get a low charge rate?? The charge rate on a AC can only be as fast as the on-board charger, which is typically 6 to 7kW! From my recollection, it was only the Zoe that was able to rapid charge on AC at Rapids...
The answer is simples. New EV owners need edumacation they're not getting from the dealership.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It’s not just new owners, a rapid charger near where I live is occupied for more than two or three hours at a time more than twice a week by the same car for over nine months. There are no overstay charges and the frequent blocker hasn’t any consideration for other users.

We can’t re-educated or get people to change there ways and share it’s not worth the effort.

Just have 20% left in battery and move to another charger. Not worth entering into conversation.

There’s always another charger. I only use chargers over 80 miles from where I live so don’t have to get involved with the my locals but hope people in places I visit are more polite and considerate. I live in hope.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As others have said, it's education, but also the location of the chargers can be crap too. If it's in the middle of town and you're going to do some shopping, you don't need a rapid, but it might be all that's available to you.

Once EVs become more widespread, the networks will realise it's not profitable to have someone slower charging taking up space when someone could be charging faster, so they'll start implementing more in the way of overstay charges.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
118 Posts
Lack of education, ignorance, sheer stupidity or plain old selfishness... hogging a Rapid charger when you’re at 80% or above SOC.

It is down to lack of education in most cases. I doubt there’s any EV that couldn’t charge to 80% and then find a fast or destination charger within range at 80% SOC.

It‘s the same with eejits who think that just because their car is an EV, they can park at an EV charging space without charging just because the space is more convenient for the entrance.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
It’s not just new owners, a rapid charger near where I live is occupied for more than two or three hours at a time more than twice a week by the same car for over nine months.
The question should by why. Lots of judgemental comments but no reason. I am now out of EV's. But if someone parks and goes off shopping or to a doctors appointment or a work situation job interview etc is it reasonable to expect them to return after 45 minutes to unplug the car and move it ? I went to Weston Supermare on a return trip on holiday to charge and visit as I had not been there for thirty years. Parked paid and left the car on charge because of the limit on charging I had to return halfway through a meal. 10 minute walk there unplug car move to another space then walk back to restaurant. Yet another reason to not get into the EV game. There are enough hoops to jump through without this nonsense. We should all be lobbying our councils/government/MP's etc not in fighting.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,178 Posts
<8kW for more than a few minutes, then it stops and unlocks.
That would be great if chademo had won as the preferred EV connector. Unfortunately Type 2 and CCS Did. It's the car that locks those connectors in place, rather than the charger like you see with chademo.

Also 8kW is still too low. We need to be getting greater than 11kW to put a stop to people plugging in to the rapid charger using Type 2 AC on anything that isn't a Zoe, either incorrectly due to lack of education about CCS for rapid charging, or due to PHEV drivers who are too cheap to buy their own Type 2 cable for public charging so block rapids for hours often at less than 3kW.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
118 Posts
But if someone parks and goes off shopping or to a doctors appointment or a work situation job interview etc is it reasonable to expect them to return after 45 minutes to unplug the car and move it ?
If it is a Rapid charger, I'd say it is reasonable. If it's a destination/Fast charger then it isn't as important. I would expect that most reasonable people will be able to figure out approximately how long it's going to take to 80% SOC if the car or charger doesn't already tell you and to plan around that.

Many EV's and/or Rapid chargers can alert you when a specific SOC is reached.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
There's space for rapids, 7kW and 3kW posts. I don't think there is any excuse for leaving your car on a rapid.

Why do people charge over 80% on rapid? Because it costs them no more per kWh to do that and it is more time-efficient than the alternative?

There is a rapid I charge to over 80%, and that is Birchanger services on the M11 when I'm heading for London, as there really isn't any convenient charger when I get to my destination* and I need enough charge to find another rapid on my way out.

* In fact, there should be chargers there now, if they are connected and turned on!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
194 Posts
I only think some people do, but agree that rapid chargers should have software that cuts off the charge once a minimum charge speed has been reached. Don't EH and Podpoint rapids have a maximum time too before it cuts off, ie 45 minutes or something?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Many EV's and/or Rapid chargers can alert you when a specific SOC is reached.
Not the problem though. Problem is either staying with the car when you could be enjoying your self or disrupting whatever you are doing depending on the charger. If there is a rapid in a town center car park does that mean we have to plan trips around a 45 minute period ? No thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Your 3rd sentence answers your question?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some interesting comments on here. I frequently charge to more than 80% on a rapid if I need it to get to my destination. The problem is lack of reliable infrastructure and I make sure I am there to disconnect when the charge is completed. If my charge session is still no more than say 45 minutes why is that worse than someone with a bigger battery car charging from 20-80% and that taking 45 minutes? If I had a 64KWh Kia then I'd be happy to leave at 80%, but when you have smaller batteries every little bit of charge can help prevent running out with no charge!

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
118 Posts
But if the charge drops to below, say 7kW or less when above 80% SOC, you'd probably be able to top up from 80% to 100% quicker by using an AC fast charger... and cheaper too if you're paying for the rapid charge.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,700 Posts
Only people with nothing better to do or when it not costing any money, except time is money so I don't get it myself but only met one or two over the years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
But if the charge drops to below, say 7kW or less when above 80% SOC, you'd probably be able to top up from 80% to 100% quicker by using an AC fast charger... and cheaper too if you're paying for the rapid charge.
If one is available, but at the Geniepoint location I use and some instalvolts thats just not an option unless I drive somewhere else!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts