Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As today was my first opportunity to visit a Rapid charger (RC9,Enniskillen) to use the AC side for the Zoe and finding a Leaf already hooked up on the DC side,I hadn't realised til now both charging operations can't proceed simultaneously..I mentioned to the Leaf driver I was in no hurry and to continue his charge,but He apparently had sufficient and unhooked to let me in..We compared a few notes about the EV experience..He's been around over a Year with his..I didn't get to ask was he a user on here..If He is,Just wanted to say thanks again for letting Me in!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just thinking back..I was able to charge alongside a white Leaf in Enniskillen at a fast charger shortly after getting the Zoe..The Leaf was unattended the whole time I was there,so today's encounter was the first face to face I had with another EV owner..seems odd that a fast charger could service 2 EV's and a Rapid one wouldn't..

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
That's how you'll find it works in most instances, slow and fast chargers can share, rapids (Electric Highway efc) you can't. I have heard that in some countries and with some rapid chargers you can share, most notably Tesla Superchargers.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Is there also a technical reasons why the DC and AC rapid chargers can't operate simultaneously? I think it's been discussed on here before, but something to do with the DC having two way communication with the car whereas AC has only one way communication making it difficult to determine how to balance the load between the two.

This is apparently a choice by the operator (to only allow one side at once). It's probably easier on the load and also more reliable this way, no idea. It does seem odd when you first discover this though.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
that can easily be fixed by hard coding the unit to split the power 50/50 when 2 cars are connected, however I have yet to see proof these units are capable of doing to chargers at once. Lots have said its possible but is this just wishful thinking

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
only one unit specifically says it can charge 2 at once, however it is the ac/dc units that are being deployed. The DC/DC units or triple head units make no mention of simultaneous charging

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just hope I didn't give the impression I was some impatient unmannerly oik pushing in and making for the AC port with my cable in hand ..Needs a protocol list for Noobs arriving at a Rapid Charger!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts