Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard on the news that as part of the upgrading of transport infrastructure there will be a rapid expansion of rapid chargers at MSA's. Anyone know what this actually means and when ?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
318 Posts
With the HUGE cost of furloughing millions of workers and supporting businesses during this pandemic, will there be any money left for 'upgrading of transport infrastructure'?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the HUGE cost of furloughing millions of workers and supporting businesses during this pandemic, will there be any money left for 'upgrading of transport infrastructure'?
Grant Shapps just said YES. The country cannot afford to dither about on this.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Looks like rapid deployment may be up to 4 years, From that article :-

"By 2023, the aim is to have at least six open-access points (capable of at least 150kW charging) at every service area, with 10-12 points at the busiest locations. "

And is 150 kW rapid or far better ?
"Rapid" starts at 50kW, so 3 times better (if your car can charge that fast)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Grant Shapps just said YES. The country cannot afford to dither about on this.
You are so right, we need to crack on with improving the EV infrastructure to support mass adoption. Luckily the chancellor has discovered a whole forest of magic money trees to pay for it, so it’s not a problem !

It will be interesting to see the details of how the government are going to work towards their goals. Will they work with EH or go through the likes of BP & Shell to install chargers at the MSA petrol stations? I hope whatever they do they will put new chargers in the main car park like the EH chargers, not isolated at the petrol station.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not think EH are part of the group of companies involved. Not sure how this will tie in with the EH monopoly.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
support for all types of electric vehicles
That was a critically important phrase I got from that article. I had a nightmare vision of them going with Ionity.

Hmm, Leigh Delamere on the M4 is Moto, but Membury is Welcome Break and I don't see them in the list of logos. I remember one of the two companies signed a 10-year exclusivity deal with EH recently, but I don't remember which it was.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It seem there are 111 MSAs in UK.

So we get between 666 and 1400ish super rapid chargers by 2023. Possibly catch up with the present Tesla network by then?

I'm glad that they are doing it but excuse me for being underwhelmed.
Is that because they are no use for your GTE? ;) :p

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,652 Posts
Is that because they are no use for your GTE? ;) :p
Never use them myself, of course. But I am looking to go full BEV this year if the charging infrastructure convinces me.

Currently I will probably buy the GTE at the end of the PCP and hang on for a year or two.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It’s exactly what we need but just a pity that it wasn't done around the same time as Tesla put all their destination chargers in place including at all (?) MSAs.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
Maybe Moto decided it should be non exclusive and that was the only way they'd sign the next 10 year lease and EcoT would have to make a very embarrassing climb down if they had to announce they'd lost the contract with Moto completely....

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The decisive thing would be providing funding AND LEGAL POWERS to National Grid to facilitate installation of high power connections/supplies to all MSAs. The actual supply and installation of the DCRCs is small beer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As usual the UK is behind the curve on this.

France and other countries have a rapidly expanding Ionity network that includes a triple headed Chademo/AC/CCS unit at each site. There are usually 2 to 4 chargers at each Ionity site with infrastructure in place for another 4 chargers. The additional infrastructure includes mounting points for the yet to be installed chargers. Great idea as they can add rapid units across the country based on the demand at each site without the greater expense of installing too many chargers initially. An approach that the UK motorway service areas could follow.

In France there are many of the decommissioned Corri-Door units at motorway service areas next to the shiny new Ionity rapids. Looks like Electric Highway rapids are the UKs Corri-Door equivalent. At least Corri-Door plan to replace many of the units which is something Electric Highway is slow to do (if its doing that at all?).

Of course the Ionity sites are increasing in the UK but as these installations are part funded by and driven as an EU project, its safe to say that the UK will be years late if we rely on the UK government alone.

Before someone mentions the ridiculous price per kW at the Ionity sites there are a growing number of partners (vehicle manufacturers and network operators) that allow you to obtain a charge at roughly half the price of the displayed price.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Forgot to add that in continental Europe the Ionity installations are 175kW - 350kW units, not the 150kW ones as proposed in the UK.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts