Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,652 Posts
Just checked. The one I stop at most to charge in France is ‘Aire du Caylar’. It has a full compliment of restaurant, gift shop and Superchargers.

Maybe someone else can confirm, but are they all ‘Aire’?
Both types are called Aire but the signposting shows what facilities are there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
"Aire" is short for "aire de service" - just means service area. They're all called that, regardless of brand or facilities. As noted above, some are just pull off / toilets, others full blown MSAs with cafe, retail, fuel etc. Fuel prices are all advertised well in advance - not been recently enough to see if this extends to electricity yet...

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,883 Posts
You can 'camp' at some. We've stopped with our caravan a couple times en-route. Pre EV times of course.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Autoroute signposting is very good and will tell you if there is food, kids playground etc. but not EV charging yet. Maybe soon.

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
The Autoroute signposting is very good and will tell you if there is food, kids playground etc. but not EV charging yet. Maybe soon.
If you’re talking about France, then EV charging is on the signs for the Aires. Although this doesn’t guarantee it as the Corri-door chargers are down at the moment.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you’re talking about France, then EV charging is on the signs for the Aires. Although this doesn’t guarantee it as the Corri-door chargers are down at the moment.
OK. Didn’t see it last year but maybe weren’t looking properly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I was in France mid-March there were some service areas that had the EV vehicle symbol together with other services usually a sign 10km and 2km before the service area. Some of the EV symbols were blacked out with tape where a non-working Corri-Door chargers were installed. Others had no EV symbol where for example an Ionity or Total installation had been installed in the last six months or less.

Some say here in lowland Scotland for example 'he's no frae this ayre' so a familiar word to me! Ayre was also the name for a judicial district way back in history.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
According to WPD, Ecotricity are involved. They're not making any mention of it themselves though. You'd think with a flagship roll out they would be jumping up and down. It's all a bit odd.

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
According to WPD, Ecotricity are involved. They're not making any mention of it themselves though. You'd think with a flagship roll out they would be jumping up and down. It's all a bit odd.
Maybe their plan all along is to supply the energy, as they've realised there's no money in providing rapid charging services?

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
Maybe their plan all along is to supply the energy, as they've realised there's no money in providing rapid charging services?
Maybe. It would make more sense really. Their business power supply has dropped off a cliff and home markets are far more competitive.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Unlike RicM above I didn't notice any signs on our trip down to the Italian Alps this January/February but although I'm interested in EVs in a diesel van there wasn't any anxious need! I noticed the charge points at either end of the Mont Blanc tunnel and in Aosta, and had an idle glance at the 7kW ones at LeClerc just off the motorway in Beaune.

As an idle thought: in my GFs van and with both of us driving getting through the tunnel in a day from Le Havre was easy using the autoroute, we do an overnighter at random places on the way back for an earlier ferry, but in an EV the speed advantage of the fast roads is negated by charging needs and tolls. Any EV I might afford will add in hotel costs for my annual holiday, which is not an insuperable problem, but it would be an interesting planning exercise!

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
Any EV I might afford will add in hotel costs for my annual holiday, which is not an insuperable problem, but it would be an interesting planning exercise!
Oh, I don’t know. Does your budget stretch to a Renault ZOE? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the subject of French charging, it looks like a disaster at the moment to me for driving my 40kw Leaf there. I have been driving twice a year from Calais through Rouen, Le Mans, Tours to just past Angouleme. It hasn't been too bad, until Corridoor shut down most of their chargers permanently after finding they were a fire hazard. The French charging network (at least on my route) is utterly abysmal and significantly problematic.

I would normally stop at Baie de Somme and charge there - which was great until they moved the charger from next to the main building over to next to the new ionity chargers. It spent a year and a half being out of order (it never worked since it was moved) and now that one will stay permanently offline as it is the dangerous evbox model. The 4 ionity chargers next to it have no Chademo. This was my only stop before Rouen. Aire de deux caps a short distance from Calais for a top up is a no go as that's an evbox style corridoor charger - dead. So I try to crawl carefully and slowly to Rouen on the back roads and I can make it if I'm really careful (but it's painful). Then I charge overnight in a hotel in Rouen so full next day.

Then drive to Le Mans. I'd normally stop at Sees but the evbox charger there has been out of service for 2 months or so (according to chargemap) and it was prolematic last summer due to overheating and it only seem to take contactless now as the Sodetrel(now Izivia) RFID card stopped working properly on this one. This stop is rather key and without it a route change is going to be needed. There would be the option of a top up a short way after Rouen but yes, that charger is broken too (has been for about 1.5 years) - and it's an evbox so won't be back.

At Le mans it's either a fight for a free charge at the Auchan with the Zoes and leafs or go for the much easier pay option of the Corridoor charger at the L'eclerc. Except that's now permanently turned off as it's an EVbox.

Then it gets a bit easier as there's some Coridoor older DBTs that are still online but one of those was limited to 18-19kw for more than 6 months (two different trips).

So basically Calais to Le Mans is a bit of a nightmare at present. And what I thought 2 years ago would be an increase in the installation of autoroute chargers has been pretty much no visible change at all aside from Ionity going in at about 2 of the stops on the route, none of which I can use due to no Chademo (even at the extortionate rate they charge now).

France (or at least the A16-A28- A13-A28-A10) seriously needs some better EV infrastructure.

Sorry for a slightly ranty post but my experience of France (at least for my journey) was that it was quite do-able until Christmas but now it's a bit of a nightmare. My hopes of new chargers going in all the time has actually only seen a large reduction in chargers due to the model being blacklisted and retired and terribly badly maintained chargers that have remained broken for in some cases, years. The only real company installing new ones - Ionity - is CCS only. In my opinion, the UK has significantly better infrastructure despite the Ecotricity factor.

Also, from the ionity website's FAQ:

Q: Can I charge my CHAdeMO car at Ionity?

A: No. Ionity charging stations ONLY support CCS charging.
In summary, stressful and difficult now without much hope on the horizon other than changing car.

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
I found quite a few alternatives to Corri-door or Ionity on my last trip through France. Although most involved coming off the autoroutes.

Apparently some of the Ionity stations now offer one triple head Chademo/CCS/AC rapid charger at 50 kW.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm curious what places you found as alternatives to Corri-door. I know Auchans have them but it is always a bit of a fight for one where they're free of charge. You get the locals plugging in pretending to charge to get a good parking spot too. I can only see one Ionity on my route that has a Chademo - just south of Tours. Still seem quite rare. There's a real black hole in that north western part of France.

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
I used Plugshare and Electromaps to find them.

There's the new e-Born network and a bunch of them at Lidl supermarkets (free).

Lots installed around town centres by the local councils, but you need to hunt them out.

On the motorway, not so much as I mentioned.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Try typing https://chargemap.com/networks/? into your browser replacing the ? with Lidl, Aldi, Intermarché or Auchan to see some possibilities for off-autoroute chargers. On autoroute there are Total, Ionity and some regional networks run by the local electric distributer.

Just released today the latest PlugShare app version has an option to select accommodation charge points so you can select hotels that offer overnight Type 2 charging. Very useful!

61 - 80 of 106 Posts