Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are more threads about this but i cannot find them.

I have driven more the 4000 km’s with the MG now and I have done a lot of fast charging on different types but I never seem to get over 25/30 kw.
MG has stated 85 although that has been achieved by nobody. Then people talked about 50 but how come I never get over 30 which seems really slow.

The battery should be warm after driving 200 km’s so that shouldn’t be the case right?

What are your thought on this? Do we need to address this to mg, or do we need to wait till summer to see if that helps?

·
Registered
678 Posts

I have driven more the 4000 km’s with the MG now and I have done a lot of fast charging on different types but I never seem to get over 25/30 kw.
MG has stated 85 although that has been achieved by nobody. Then people talked about 50 but how come I never get over 30 which seems really slow.

The battery should be warm after driving 200 km’s so that shouldn’t be the case right?

What are your thought on this? Do we need to address this to mg, or do we need to wait till summer to see if that helps?
30kW is incredibly slow. The adverts said nothing about summer time only.

With the timed charging, MG lied until large numbers complained. Only when enough complained loudly enough, they acted.

We need to do the same here. I have contacted my dealer who (just like with the timed charging) tell me that MG have had no reported issues or complaints from anyone else, it’s just me. We need enough people to complain, commenting on their twitter adverts might help!

If they tell you the same, you know they are lying!

·
Registered
235 Posts
It is slow but I routinely see 44kw which is the realistic limit of a 50kw charger. What I need is one of those new fangled 300kw chargers, see what it can really do.

Take your car back, use the warranty and demand satisfaction.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It is slow but I routinely see 44kw which is the realistic limit of a 50kw charger. What I need is one of those new fangled 300kw chargers, see what it can really do.

·
Registered
825 Posts

With the greatest of respect, and I know nothing about your ev driving experience, I have seen no evidence of anyone routinely seeing 44kW on any 50kW charger in the UK. Can you please post some evidence and details of the location of the charger you have used so others can verify? I'm pretty experienced driving EV's, know how to warm a battery and research charger performance through various apps and have never managed to achieve more than 35kW. The only people that seem to achieved significantly higher charge rates in the UK at the moment seem to have driven large distances at high speeds and reported after second or third rapid charge of the day.

Most of us would be happy to accept 44kW on a 50kW charger I'm sure.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Who are these people that are routinely driving over 200 daily that need a Rapid Charger all the time?

Rapid Charging is not ideal if you want to maintain battery life expectancy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Who are these people that are routinely driving over 200 daily and are buying affordable EVs? If I was doing that mileage daily I'd buy a Tesla, Kona or Niro if I could afford it or a diesel car if I couldn't.

If affordable ev's have any chance of becoming mainstream then they need to be able to do 100 miles+ then accept a charge of 40kW+. Advertisements say they can, are they wrong?

How much slower do they need to charge? What greater life expectancy might that give you?

·
Registered
235 Posts
6 mins in and we are ticking along at just over 43.5. My receipt from ecotricity shows 32.8kwh delivered in 45 mins which is an average of 43.7kw and the last few mins were at over 80% charge when it had tapered off. This was at Cardiff Gate.

Doing a drive later that will require two rapid charges so I will report back.

·
Registered
678 Posts
6 mins in and we are ticking along at just over 43.5. My receipt from ecotricity shows 32.8kwh delivered in 45 mins which is an average of 43.7kw and the last few mins were at over 80% charge when it had tapered off. This was at Cardiff Gate.

Doing a drive later that will require two rapid charges so I will report back.
View attachment 128570
That is about as fast as a DBT 50kW charger will go.

Is there a way to read off your BMS software version?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't know how to get a read on that but the car is due in for a quick once over on wednesday due to odd errors so I will ask.

Just checked on a polar receipt from the 14th and I received 23.7kwh in 29:33 so an average of 48kw charging speeds, or thereabouts. Holiday Inn at the Coldra, Newport if anyone else wants to go try

·
Registered
249 Posts

No. Driving at a constant speed draws little power from the battery. For eg, 12kW at 70mph.

Hard accel/regen moves more power (lots) in/out of the battery. This is what causes a battery to properly warm. Think max accel, 120kW, 10 times the value on a long run.

Suggest using as much power as possible on the last 10 miles to the charger!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Achieved 47kw at Newport tonight picking up 26.4kwh in 32 mins. On my second charge of the night at the ecotricity point at Strensham north and getting about 43kw. Only odd thing is that the polar at Newport always kicks me off after half an hour or so

·
Zoe Devotee
9,172 Posts
Suggest using as much power as possible on the last 10 miles to the charger!
This!!

I've been doing this for years in my Zoe, last 10miles should be the hardest.... and you get the best charge.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,229 Posts
Achieved 47kw at Newport tonight picking up 26.4kwh in 32 mins. On my second charge of the night at the ecotricity point at Strensham north and getting about 43kw. Only odd thing is that the polar at Newport always kicks me off after half an hour or so
On my last journey before summer end with the Zoe I had 2 or 3 that did the same. I wonder if some are set up to do that. Are they in busy spots?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Again from Israel today 25c :

On a 50 kw charger started with 42 kw/h
20200309_145542.jpg

And after 20 minutes saw an average of 47kw/h
20200309_151442.jpg

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes, I like an ABB units. The second photo shows about the rate what I got on one Ionity ABB near Reims, France today.

On my current trip from near Edinburgh to Geneva I have documented each charge and hope to do a separate post about the trip on return. In the mean time I would say for a trip through France, Cirri-Door/IziVia network is effectively dead.

Search out the Ionity chargers springing up everywhere. Its the future of EV charging! Got up to 55kWh rate on one of the newer ones. The MG's fan was whizzing towards the 80% SOC.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts