Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are more threads about this but i cannot find them.

I have driven more the 4000 km’s with the MG now and I have done a lot of fast charging on different types but I never seem to get over 25/30 kw.
MG has stated 85 although that has been achieved by nobody. Then people talked about 50 but how come I never get over 30 which seems really slow.

The battery should be warm after driving 200 km’s so that shouldn’t be the case right?

What are your thought on this? Do we need to address this to mg, or do we need to wait till summer to see if that helps?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
teslabjorn managed to get 75kW on an Ionity charger, but found it hard to repeat. He wasn't sure whether it was a cold battery or a hot battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been on ionity, allego, fastned, abb, etc with warm, cold battery everything together but have not managed over 30kw. And also I have tried lots

Maybe wait till the summer arrives :-(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have you tried connecting with one of these faster chargers with a low (<10% < 16miles <22km) state of charge?

It needs to be that low to get the fast rates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the reply’s!

charging from 10%? Not sure. Usual I am at about 20% when I arrive.
So you are saying that it will only reach the max speed if my battery is at 10%?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The battery temperature has a big influence on the rate of charge.

Personally, I am happy with the slower charging rates as I own my ZS EV and intend to keep it until it dies. Rapid charging has a detrimental effect on battery life, as intimated in the manual for the car.

If you can use the car without the need to Rapid charge you will not be harming your battery. The warranty allows a 30% degradation of battery capacity. This is much more than I would like to see within 7 years.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Or less!!!

i have seen 53.5kW at an Ionity 350kW charger when it was around 8-10°C after a 130 miles motorway drive at 60mph. I arrived with 8%.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There are episodes of charging up to 80kW.

However the norm is often maxing around 30kW.

Those showing 45-50kW are often starting from very low SoC (5% or less) which isn't practical for a plan B if the rapid isn't usable.

I suspect there are issues with both the car software (too protective of the battery), and the handshake between car and CCS unit (that may vary between the various rapid manufacturers) that need to be addressed.

The car can manage >50kW - it just seems at the moment you need the stars in perfect alignment for it to work.

In reality the most important factor is how much charge in a period of time rather than peak rate - the area under the rate vs time curve.

I think the liquid cooling system may be overkill for the ZS in our climate - I would love to be able to see the pack temperature - the car knows it (it needs it for the CCS handshake) but MG obviously thinks we don't need to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here in Israel at around 20 degrees I got
43kw out of a couple 50kw chargers.
and 75kw out of a 175kw charger
20200221_183437.jpg

Here you can see the 175kw cahrger at night about 15 degrees, I got about 10kw after 8 minutes.

In all cases after about 80% charge it slows down to about 6-7kw per hour so as others said, the peaks really dont matter...

·
Registered
276 Posts
There are episodes of charging up to 80kW.

However the norm is often maxing around 30kW.

Those showing 45-50kW are often starting from very low SoC (5% or less) which isn't practical for a plan B if the rapid isn't usable.

I suspect there are issues with both the car software (too protective of the battery), and the handshake between car and CCS unit (that may vary between the various rapid manufacturers) that need to be addressed.

The car can manage >50kW - it just seems at the moment you need the stars in perfect alignment for it to work.

In reality the most important factor is how much charge in a period of time rather than peak rate - the area under the rate vs time curve.

I think the liquid cooling system may be overkill for the ZS in our climate - I would love to be able to see the pack temperature - the car knows it (it needs it for the CCS handshake) but MG obviously thinks we don't need to.
I can assure you that when summer is here and battery temperature is a lot higher you will get far quicker charging rates at a Rapid charger. The battery cooling will be needed, else you will end up with #RapidGate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So all MG owners need to do is find an Ionity charger and pay 69p per kWh.
Not quite right.

All MG owners need to do if they want high rates of charge, is charge their car on a 100kW capable charger - when the ambient temperature is around 23 degrees Celsius ?

Or of course, charge at home for much lower fuel cost and less damage to the battery.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I can assure you that when summer is here and battery temperature is a lot higher you will get far quicker charging rates at a Rapid charger. The battery cooling will be needed, else you will end up with #RapidGate.
I'm sure the rates will be better in the summer.

Which is 6 months out of 12.

Battery cooling is definitely a good thing, but the water-cooled set-up is not efficient when cold - certainly didn't help the B250e efficiency - there's a lot of energy used up just heating the cooling system.

Active air cooling like the Soul 27/30 is probably a better idea for small to medium pack sizes.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks for all the reply’s!

charging from 10%? Not sure. Usual I am at about 20% when I arrive.
So you are saying that it will only reach the max speed if my battery is at 10%?
Agreed 100%.

In 3600 miles, I haven't seen over 35kW once. That includes hot, cold, charging from 3%, and on chargers I know well.

This morning charged 9kWh in 35 minutes, an average of around 14kW.

I will be complaining to MG, I suggest you do too.

For now I am back in my Leaf when I need to make long journeys.

·
Registered
16,778 Posts
42 kW is pretty poor. What was the outside temp?

The Zoe can manage 44 kW on a cold battery.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts