Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are more threads about this but i cannot find them.

I have driven more the 4000 km’s with the MG now and I have done a lot of fast charging on different types but I never seem to get over 25/30 kw.
MG has stated 85 although that has been achieved by nobody. Then people talked about 50 but how come I never get over 30 which seems really slow.

The battery should be warm after driving 200 km’s so that shouldn’t be the case right?

What are your thought on this? Do we need to address this to mg, or do we need to wait till summer to see if that helps?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
"Normal" rapid charging stations will go up to 45KWh maybe 47 with tail wind :)
If another car is plugged to the same station you will have 6.6KWh less so it will go to 38, 39KWh
This if it's the first charge of the day and the battery isn't hot enough to trigger the protection system.
The fact the car can charge to 85KWh doesn't mean the charger can deliver it.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
@Miles Roberts has proven rapid speeds are possible, but it currently relies on various conditions being met. Hopefully a BMS update will make rapid charging a bit easier to attain for more folk. Seems to partly be down to educating yourself to drive slightly different to your previously used to.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
There are episodes of charging up to 80kW.

However the norm is often maxing around 30kW.

Those showing 45-50kW are often starting from very low SoC (5% or less) which isn't practical for a plan B if the rapid isn't usable.

I suspect there are issues with both the car software (too protective of the battery), and the handshake between car and CCS unit (that may vary between the various rapid manufacturers) that need to be addressed.

The car can manage >50kW - it just seems at the moment you need the stars in perfect alignment for it to work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have managed 44-46 on recent trips and my SOC was around 30% when I stopped on one occasion. I am fairly convinced that whilst the car has a large part to play in charging speeds there are infrastructure issues that limit things on the charger side. Oddly I get the best charge speeds from Ecotricity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts