Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Laurencekirk charger isn't working. Royal pain in the bum litterally. I really rely on that charger. Made it to a place where I can plug the evse in but waiting for enough charge to get to Aberdeen so I can rapid it there then go down to Dundee.

Anyways as I said the Laurencekirk charger isn't working. The CYC helpline is closed. I reported it on the answer machine. So what do I do now. Do I phone up tomorrow to chase it up or will it get fixed asap? WIll CYC contact me with a date to fix? The machine was off no screen power and the chademo and ac guns where on the floor. I thought it might be vandalism but why would the charger be off and there didn't seem to be any damage? I'm not using that charger till Friday but if it's broke I'll be breaking out the ICE.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought CYC had an 'out of hours' mobile helpline number?
That was for urgent emergencies. Got home about 8.30am by which time their call centre was open. Reported both laurencekirk and Forfar rapid chargers where busted.

Polite lady on the phone said she will ask the manufacturer to reboot them. Shoukd take a few days. Strange thing is the app said yeah working fine but the machine wasn't even on so type app must be busted? As when you say charge then it says can't connect to post yet it's status will report charger ok. I didn't realise cyc don't actually maintain the posts but just pass on details.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
This is a major blow - the Laurencekirk rapid charger is the sole charger of any kind in a massive hole 52-miles across between Aberdeen and Forfar. Only real backup is a flat-bed.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I have noticed that with some CYC posts, app reports as available but when I turn up are in use, check whilst there and still available, other post I use regularly shows up as uncontactable and may be offline, but when I turn up it is working.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a major blow - the Laurencekirk rapid charger is the sole charger of any kind in a massive hole 52-miles across between Aberdeen and Forfar. Only real backup is a flat-bed.
As you say it's a major blow but I'll keep an eye on it. But it's getting silly though. I managed to get to Stonehaven charge enough to get to the rapid at Asda in garthdee (machine is quick!) then back to Forfar to find that the rapid there was broken too! Ahh had to wait a few hours for it to charge to get back to dundee.

Although I used the Broxburn Perth one yesterday and the ecotricity Ikea one yesterday too and that was good aswell.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder what CYC actually do for the money?
I'm sure you know better than me lol but it sounds like they are just the middle men.

Also regarding the app half the rapids in Dundee are missing from it's app too! My main charging spot is getting refurbed. Dundee Greenmarket there is signs saying don't use although the kind security guy let me. He explained they will be getting paint on the floor to signify they are electric only parking. Although the 2 type 2's are always being hogged by the council. The Clepington road one was iced by 2 cars!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
In Perth, as well as the ones at Broxden Park & Ride, there are other chargers at the South Inch car park. There is a new triple head charger but the CYC maps has it 'Out of Service'.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
As you say it's a major blow but I'll keep an eye on it. But it's getting silly though. I managed to get to Stonehaven charge enough to get to the rapid at Asda in garthdee (machine is quick!) then back to Forfar to find that the rapid there was broken too! Ahh had to wait a few hours for it to charge to get back to dundee.

Although I used the Broxburn Perth one yesterday and the ecotricity Ikea one yesterday too and that was good aswell.
What charge did you get at Stonehaven? Has the Aberdeenshire 7kW post been installed already?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What charge did you get at Stonehaven? Has the Aberdeenshire 7kW post been installed already?
No. I have been waiting for that for 6+months. I had to charge outside my work. I work across from Market Square and just used a rubber thing shield thing for the EVSE to charge it.

The one I used in Aberdeen was very fast. The others I have used are Apt or Abt? This was a Siemens and it was really fast. Charged me to 94% within an hour from 10%ish percent.

Seems really silly to have a few vital links out of action for a few days. The Dundee Greenmarket one won't be open till the 6/7th of November too. So no rapid in Greenmarket, Forfar or Laurencekirk!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi All

I appreciate this is very frustrating, I've contacted the manufacturer who have said the following

'Some Rapid chargers in Scotland have been temporarily switched off this week. This is due to some major component having been removed for upgrade to include CCS Combo charging, whilst this is happening the units unfortunately will be out of use This is an upgrade of existing installations required by Transport Scotland. All new units installed since summer 2014 already have the CCS Combo included. We expect to have the units that are currently offline back working during week commencing 17th November. CYC will be updated as soon as the units come back online so please monitor the CYC website for updates. Apologies for any inconvenience caused, but this is vital work to ensure all equipment is fully up to date for all electric vehicles on the market'

For my part I'll try to keep this thread updated with any news

Thanks!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All

I appreciate this is very frustrating, I've contacted the manufacturer who have said the following

'Some Rapid chargers in Scotland have been temporarily switched off this week. This is due to some major component having been removed for upgrade to include CCS Combo charging, whilst this is happening the units unfortunately will be out of use This is an upgrade of existing installations required by Transport Scotland. All new units installed since summer 2014 already have the CCS Combo included. We expect to have the units that are currently offline back working during week commencing 17th November. CYC will be updated as soon as the units come back online so please monitor the CYC website for updates. Apologies for any inconvenience caused, but this is vital work to ensure all equipment is fully up to date for all electric vehicles on the market'

For my part I'll try to keep this thread updated with any news

Thanks!
Thank you for the update. Knowing what I know now puts my mind at rest. It's super silly they want to do them all at the same time but at least I know now.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Not very clever to disable a number of charge points at the same time just to upgrade them.
Surely they can't be adding functionality to existing control modules?
Why not fit upgraded modules and re-use those taken out or is that too easy.
Its similar to shutting down a quantity of petrol stations for the same reason......I doubt it would be accepted somehow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts