Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just seen if anyone else had an issue like this. I was travelling on the M8 today, I had 13% of range left, air con set at 22.5 and my traffic aware cruise control set to 73mph. My 2018 leafs battery then dropped to 1% in a matter of seconds without anything changing apart from a slight incline for about a quarter of a mile which I do Monday to Friday and never had this happen before. I was pulling over to the hard shoulder, thinking the vehicle was going to cut out, switched off TACC and air con then the range "re-calculated" back up to 10%. I switched TACC and air con back on and there was no severe drop in range % or mileage. Anyone heard of this before or had this happen to them? Sent an email to the local service centre so will see what they say on Monday but haven't had this happen before in 4 and a bit years EV ownership

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would guess that it's a combination of the cold weather and the battery cells being a little out of balance. Batteries generally don't like having high currents drawn from low voltage cells, especially in the cold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I'm not sure. I could understand it being at the start of a journey but this was into 50 minutes of driving. Plus its been one of the mildest days in a while, it was 2 degrees at this point, not the - 7 we've had. I appreciate the post though, maybe you are right. Will see what Nissan say on Monday

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,670 Posts
I could understand it being at the start of a journey but this was into 50 minutes of driving.
If you've got weak, or unbalanced cells you only really find out when down to a low level of charge. One of the giveaway signs of bad cells on a LEAF is rapid loss of charge as you run lower and lower. So I would be inclined to agree with the above suggestion.

I don't suppose you have an OBD device and the leafspy app? Without this you're going to struggle, even if you have a dealer looking at it! It's not something they check for unless specific criteria is met.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
627 Posts
Sound like you were towards the end of a reasonably long journey so your battery should have been warm?

What you have described is an indicator of a weak cell in the battery, did the car go into turtle mode?

How many miles has it done and how often is it charged and what % do you charge it to?

I had low cells in my 40 Leaf you really need to get it on LeafSpy that will tell all.

The dongle you will need is here:

LELink^2 Configurable Auto On/Off Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad and Android LELink^2 Configurable Auto On/Off Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad and Android: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it w
If you've got weak, or unbalanced cells you only really find out when down to a low level of charge. One of the giveaway signs of bad cells on a LEAF is rapid loss of charge as you run lower and lower. So I would be inclined to agree with the above suggestion.

I don't suppose you have an OBD device and the leafspy app? Without this you're going to struggle, even if you have a dealer looking at it! It's not something they check for unless specific criteria is met.
As a weak or unbalanced cell, would this not show everytime I'm at a certain percentage? Is it worth going a drive today to get to the level I was at yesterday to see if I can replicate it?

Nah don't have any OBD or 3rd party apps, I know from experience the issues 3rd party apps can cause at times ie teslafi

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
627 Posts
Nah don't have any OBD or 3rd party apps, I know from experience the issues 3rd party apps can cause at times ie teslafi
LeafSpy does not cause any issues, It will just show you in you have one.

I managed to correct a battery imbalance that had caused a 10% loss of range when I purchased my Leaf as a result of using it.

The only way to get the dealer to look at it is either to pay £120 for a CVLI test (Cell Voltage Loss Inspection) or drive it until very low battery warning appears to see if it suddenly strands you and triggers DTC code P3180 or P33E6. The latter is the official code that invokes the CVLI test.

At this point they will do the CVLI test for free, neither option is much fun.

LeafSpy will actually show you what your issue is, if indeed you have one and it is safe to use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LeafSpy does not cause any issues, It will just show you in you have one.

I managed to correct a battery imbalance that had caused a 10% loss of range when I purchased my Leaf as a result of using it.

The only way to get the dealer to look at it is either to pay £120 for a CVLI test (Cell Voltage Loss Inspection) or drive it until very low battery warning appears to see if it suddenly strands you and triggers DTC code P3180 or P33E6. The latter is the official code that invokes the CVLI test.

At this point they will do the CVLI test for free, neither option is much fun.

LeafSpy will actually show you what your issue is, if indeed you have one and it is safe to use.
Cheers for that, I've charged to a level where it the battery will be low if I have to take it to the dealer on Monday so that should save time draining it. I'll keep this updated when I get feedback from Nissan

·
Registered
432 Posts
It might be something that the BMS could fix itself if you haven't charged to full and let it completely balance for a while. Definitely worth checking with Leafspy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts