Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I continue to be amazed at the huge variation in tyre life reported on this forum. I have a BEV and the rear tyres are worn down to 2mm at 8000 miles! Knowing they will therefore soon need replacing I started to look into this. My rears are ecopia EP500 175/60 R19's.I have rung around all local tyre dealers including Blackcircle and lovetyres and knowbody has them in stock. The fronts 155/70 R19 seem to be readily available. This is greatly worrying for me as any further problems with my rears and I am off the road! I therefore Emailed Bridgestone tyres UK to report this and to also tell them of my disatisfaction with the wear rate. So far all I have received back is acknowledgment of my Email. I should add I am quite a sedate driver and no boy racer. As a last resort I contacted my nearest BMW dealers in Bournemouth and Southampton and surprisingly they had them in stock at the not unsurprising high price of £175 each. As always I look forward to your views.

·
Banned
511 Posts
With that wear rate I would get the car checked, mine lasted around 22K. The price and availability of the tyres is a joke isn't it. Again BMW being too clever by half, rather than using a more common size. I paid £120 fitted for rear at a local independent car repair place..

Prior to that I had bought 2 fronts and 2 rears for the Rex at £70 each inc free delivery online and simply paid to have them fitted, approx £20 per wheel all in inc balance and disposal. Unfortunately a puncture (unrepairable led to me having to buy another rear from the independent.

P.S. Could also be very low pressures, but presumably you check them yourself with an electronic gauge...what Ah BMW is is and what sort of range/miles per kW do you get on a charge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In fact
SUMMER TYRE Nankang Econex NA-1 175/60 R19 86Q | eBay

£96 free post on ebay and then £20 or so to fit.
Yes, until I started hunting around on the internet I was unaware of these Nanking tyres.I thought Bridgestone's were the only option available. I've found them for £109 plus fitting, I wonder if any member has tried them and can say if they are any good or not. Anyway my search turned up Bridgestone's at £132 fitted so I'm going with that. Still 1 week wait for the tyre depot to get them in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nanking tyres are classed as "budget" and I doubt they will last as long as premium brands..
Again, I ask the question has anyone tried these Nanking tyres and if so how have they found them? With regard to the possibility of them wearing quickly, from my experance they could hardly be any worse than my existing Bridgestone's.

·
Banned
511 Posts
Nanking tyres are classed as "budget" and I doubt they will last as long as premium brands..
you might be right, but when the "premium" brand is only doing 8,000 miles then the Nandos can't be any worse really. I remember when Hankooky tyres first entered the market, same thing was said, but they were OK, even though some people said they were crap. I think now Hankook is one of the top 10 tyre manufacturers in the world.

my Wifes Hyundai IX20 needed new brake disks and pads at 24K!!! and she drives like a bishop going to church on a Sunday. Hyundai dealer tried to flog me Hyundai genuine stuff fully fitted to over £370. I told em to take a running jump and had non oem parts for £140 inc fitting by a local brake and clutch place.. No problems, brakes as good as ever and if they last only 22K, then I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know how you burnt through your tires so quickly..... I'd get your cars camber and geo checked out.

I like to get a move on but in my first month (2k miles in) there has thankfully not been all that much wear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know how you burnt through your tires so quickly..... I'd get your cars camber and geo checked out.

I like to get a move on but in my first month (2k miles in) there has thankfully not been all that much wear.
I was quite certain that when I submitted my posting regarding my high tyre wear I would get many replies telling me of yours lasting well into the 15000-25000 range and I'm very happy and envious of you. But let me assure you that I have never abused my tyres and have had all the checks regarding camber/tracking etc done at my BMW dealers who also told me he knew of others who had only made 12000.The wear is perfectly even across the whole width also indicating all is well with settings. In addition the fronts are also not looking that great, I reckon I'll get no more than 12000 out of them.I am hoping to get some response from Bridgestone but so far only received an acknowledgment of my Email complaint. Because my car is one of the earliest models I'm beginning to ask if there could possibly be a Quality control problem with the very early tyres, Bridgestone are unlikely to admit to this. When I change the tyres I shall keep the old ones in case I can get them tested some time in the future.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts
My friend has just taken ownership of a brand new Nissan Juke, it has 150 miles on the clock and yesterday as she was driving round the Pear Tree roundabout one of the front tyres exploded, all the main carcase was blown completely off there was just the beading left on the rim.:eek:

It was lucky she was going quite slowly, she had just pulled onto the roundabout so ended up having to call the police because she was causing a major jam in the rush hour, both the police and the recovery had never seen anything like it from something with so few miles on the clock.

I had a look at the remaining three tyres (Bridgestone Blizzaks) and they all seem fine, no idea if there was a manufacturing fault or whether she inadvertently picked up some damage, guess we'll never know, very difficult to prove anything when 90% of the tyre is missing.:confused:

·
Banned
511 Posts
I am hoping to get some response from Bridgestone but so far only received an acknowledgment of my Email complaint. Because my car is one of the earliest models I'm beginning to ask if there could possibly be a Quality control problem with the very early tyres, Bridgestone are unlikely to admit to this. When I change the tyres I shall keep the old ones in case I can get them tested some time in the future.
Unless you are carrying a fair bit of depleted uranium in the boot, I think you may be on to something re tyre quality. I have also seen posts where people have done 36K on the tyres, no I don't drive hard, but I only got 23K out of my rears (fronts would have done 26K) and perhaps they could have gone to 25K, but no more. I was personally surprised at the level of wear experienced on my Rex.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pleasant surprise today, I've been contacted back by Bridgestone's technical administrator who gave me a phone no. And I have had quite a long chat with him. We have agreed that when I get my new tyres fitted I will ask the dealer to return the old one's to Bridgestone for them to do some checks. He did say that Ecopia tyres do have a quite shallow tread depth when new ( 6mm ) so to be at 2mm after 8000 miles, while not good,was not a total surprise.When I bought my car 15 months ago it had 4500 miles on it and was an ex BMW demonstrator. Is it possible the tyre had a hard life as a demo? I would not have thought so. Anyway, it is what it is and I'm still loving it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Pleasant surprise today, I've been contacted back by Bridgestone's technical administrator who gave me a phone no. And I have had quite a long chat with him. We have agreed that when I get my new tyres fitted I will ask the dealer to return the old one's to Bridgestone for them to do some checks. He did say that Ecopia tyres do have a quite shallow tread depth when new ( 6mm ) so to be at 2mm after 8000 miles, while not good,was not a total surprise.When I bought my car 15 months ago it had 4500 miles on it and was an ex BMW demonstrator. Is it possible the tyre had a hard life as a demo? I would not have thought so. Anyway, it is what it is and I'm still loving it.

As a demonstrator it probably had a life of urban driving with the odd burst of faster a roads - so plenty of roundabouts, junctions and accelerating. I dare say it got its fair share of harder than normal accelerattion too as aprt of the sales process, to surprise buyers of the ability of electric power.

If the Ecopia tyres are indeed shallow tread to start then that will clearly not help their life expectancy - I'd be surprised that BMW approved a tyre for a everyday car with shallow tread depth though.

As for Nankang, I know of plenty of people who have used their winter tyres with great success (only a comparison to summer tyres though, not versus premium winter tyres). They're not a brand i'd particularly jump for, but if they have 8mm depth I'd certainly give them a try - at least for the first 5k miles you can be confident of having deeper tread on streaming wet roads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well I am replacing my 4 Ecopia @ 16K miles and also 2 of my Winter Bridgestones - The split is about 10k Summer & 6k winter so the summers is not great and the winters is worse. Any thoughts on the other options for Summer tyres? Tyre Leader did a good price on the winter Blizzak's so will got 2 of them, need to decide on Summers.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts
I don't understand why the tyres only have 6mm of tread on them from new, they are almost worn out as soon as hey are fitted. I got my last set of tyres from Tyreleader, I put an XL version of the R20 175/55 89T XL in the vain hope that they may be a little more robust.

The last two sets of rears I've changed because they were badly cracked around the shoulder and between the tread, the tyres on an i3 is obviously a very weak link.

I thought the BEV had the same tyres all round, maybe the wheels have been changed at some stage.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Ecopia start with 7mm of tread. Sometimes folk/places measure with a tyre gauge on top of the wear indicators which knocks off 1.3 mm of tread depth straight away. An easy way to sell more tyres to the unaware. Just managed to get 19K out of a set of rears and I think the fronts will manage about 22K. Keep the tyres well inflated to avoid too much side wall flexing. I run mine at 40 psi all round.

On other cars I tend to get 30 to 40k or five years out of a set of tyres (which ever comes sooner).

Budget for the i3 tyres the same per mile as you spend on electricity at standard domestic rate. i.e. 3 pence a mile.:(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts