Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any Leaf 40 owners or prospective owners have found that depreciation has been worse than other EVs in the same (actual, not RRP) price range.
On the face of it, there's the aforementioned Rapidgate, half-arsed bodywork changes from its predecessor and dated interior to detract buyers. From what I see, used values seem to be holding up fairly well all things considered. First-hand experiences, anyone?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Used values seem strong but i am sure they will drop as there are some good new deals now, ive just picked a brand new unregistered Acenta for 22.5k, 2020 build so has the 360 safety shield etc as standard now.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Yes, it's the fact that the new cars have dropped 10k from the their original price that is pushing used prices down.

Same with the 62, you can get one for just under 30k now so why would anyone buy a used one for 29k?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,924 Posts
Is the 60 being discounted or has the list price come down? If it's just discounts then owners are going to find themselves slapped with the luxury tax in many cases.

With general EV availability being poor still it's hard to say what will happen with Leaf prices.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Is the 60 being discounted or has the list price come down? If it's just discounts then owners are going to find themselves slapped with the luxury tax in many cases.

With general EV availability being poor still it's hard to say what will happen with Leaf prices.
It's discounted so you have a choice of about 2 colours if you want to avoid £1,600 extra tax.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am not a Leaf owner but had loan of one for a couple of days ( it was the 40). I actually really liked the car and since owning an EV where I very rarely used rapid chargers am not sure rapid gate is a big issue if you mainly use your home charger. The issue of depreciation is possibly more down to down availability. I expect the Tesla M3 will depreciate a lot more once lease agreements end / model Y is introduced. I have an e-Niro and do not expect it to buck depreciation as some would have you believe. I think you would be bonkers to pay top dollar for any second hand EV and even new should try and get discounts as they are all over/priced. As for the new crop of hybrids - a Vauxhall Grandland x hybrid4 ultimate nav for £46,650 - they are having a laugh!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Despite the dated interior the Leaf 40 is still an excellent electric car. As refined as an E Class Mercedes and as cheap to run as a milk float !. Secondhand values are holding up well, actually they are beating some more prestigious makers for depreciation. And values will firm up even more as more buyers switch to EV’s. I recently bought a used Leaf 40 and found the market very active with values fairly firm.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
113 Posts
Leaf 40s can be leased for a little over £6k over 2 years 8k/10k miles.
I really don't think residuals will be great for these early EVs, within next 2 years there are lots of new/better longer range evs coming out from all the major manufacturers.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hope you are right in 2 yrs time when hopefully my GFV will be well over what its worth and RCI will be open to lower offers again.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I was wondering if any Leaf 40 owners or prospective owners have found that depreciation has been worse than other EVs in the same (actual, not RRP) price range.
On the face of it, there's the aforementioned Rapidgate, half-arsed bodywork changes from its predecessor and dated interior to detract buyers. From what I see, used values seem to be holding up fairly well all things considered. First-hand experiences, anyone?
As proud owner of a Leaf40 and a 2020 MG ZS EV advertised as 80kW charge rate... the Leaf40 charges consistently faster.

And is an all round more refined car with a big enough battery for most people.

I think the values will hold up pretty well, with respect to new prices.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not sure about long term values but today I was sent details of over £8k reductions on new Leafs

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,544 Posts
Hope you are right in 2 yrs time when hopefully my GFV will be well over what its worth and RCI will be open to lower offers again.
If that is your plan, then would it not have made more sense to lease?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Not sure about long term values but today I was sent details of over £8k reductions on new Leafs
That's the thing with the Leaf, they always do massive discounts after a while so second hand value plummets. If you paid list price for a 62 you can already get a new one with 10k less so your depreciation is already 30-40%.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If that is your plan, then would it not have made more sense to lease?
And put down a deposit? i have had car 3 weeks and not paid one penny for it yet, first pcp payment due 1st march £255 a month no upfront payment dealer put £1000 deposit in plus i got £750 put in from Nissan for taking pcp and being a current Leaf owner loyalty payment.
I like the car,happy to Pony up £255 a month for 25 months if its value plummets i might get a cheap car off rci in the end.GFV is set at 17.5k so hope its worth a lot less and may get a revised offer, if not then bye bye Leaf 40.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,544 Posts
And put down a deposit? i have had car 3 weeks and not paid one penny for it yet, first pcp payment due 1st march £255 a month no upfront payment dealer put £1000 deposit in plus i got £750 put in from Nissan for taking pcp and being a current Leaf owner loyalty payment.
I like the car,happy to Pony up £255 a month for 25 months if its value plummets i might get a cheap car off rci in the end.GFV is set at 17.5k so hope its worth a lot less and may get a revised offer, if not then bye bye Leaf 40.
Oh, don't get me wrong, if you can secure a better total cost deal by PCP than PCH then take it. You can ask for the 'deposit' to simply be the first rental, i.e. 1+23, it's all money out of the pocket, not sure what your issue with 'a depost' is.

Chorley are currently offering a 6+23 x £211pm lease, works out at £244.38 pm and they'd likely let you take 1+23 if you asked, I expect. Maybe they can beat that, this is just what came up on 'whatcar' leasing, the first hit in my list for leasing a Leaf.

Just sayin'.

I mean, I am sure you have a good deal there and you also have the benefit that if the market value actually exceeds your GFV then you could trade it in as a deposit on your next. I think it is unlikely, but the market is a bit bonkers at the moment.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yes i am happy enough with the deal, i did look around, agree there are some good deals right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts