Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
17,380 Posts
Similar experience at a Nissan dealer where I was plugged in the other day and using their showroom waiting area. I asked how the 40 was selling and he smiled saying he had sold quite a few and delivery dates were now extending. I asked if any buyers were concerned about the Rapid charging issues. He suddenly remembered an urgent need to go backstage and didn't reappear while I was in there. Could be that a memo has been circulated suggesting that such discussions should be diverted away.
A shame really, because they could just be honest about the limitations of the car. Maybe they lose 5% of sales?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm surprised that everyone is talking about battery temperatures and slow down charges but no one is talking about getting a smaller Mars bar for the same money.....

The battery is advertised as a 40kW but will only top up to 38.2kW and then when the car says it has 0% in the battery it still has 3.8kW...so you're effectively only allowed to access 35 kW. Now if it only rapid charges to 60% before it tapers off, that's 21 kW as apposed to what you think you're getting, 24 kW before it starts to reduce the charge. For each charge they're short changing you by 12-15 miles. My problem is that with most of the rapid chargers limited to 45 mins before it cuts you off my range isn't 40kW or even 60% of that, 24 kW it's whatever percentage of 35 kW I can get into the battery and the warmer the battery gets, the less I can get in in 45 minutes. It doesn't matter that is says it will take 2 hours to fully charge cause no rapid charger will allow me to wait that long.

But here's the thing. if we're not supposed to access the top 20% or bottom 20% to maintain the life of the battery and best practise is to operate between 20% and 80%, ie 60% of the battery, that is effectively 21 kW. or @4.2 miles per kW 88 miles between charges......

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Nissan are only getting away with it on the 40kW because of the supply and demand. They can't make them quick enough and the newbies who are focused on "what's the range?" are jumping in now in their droves. Even some of the existing BEV/older Leaf drivers are upgrading to the 40kW with the full knowledge there are charge rate issues. When it all settles down in a few months they may have to rethink and do a price drop, assuming no action is taking to rectify the Rapid charging issues.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT-Line R135 Rapid Charge in Flame Red 😀
557 Posts
When they launch the 60 kWh version it will come at a price premium over the 40 kWh version. Some of that price difference may be because the price of the 40 is lowered. That could be good news for those who rarely need to rapid charge and the 40 is good enough. Those that need the 60 will see a lower increase over current 40 prices. Here’s hoping anyway.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When they launch the 60 kWh version it will come at a price premium over the 40 kWh version. Some of that price difference may be because the price of the 40 is lowered. That could be good news for those who rarely need to rapid charge and the 40 is good enough. Those that need the 60 will see a lower increase over current 40 prices. Here’s hoping anyway.
That’s the main stinger for me, ran some figures recently and even dropping to n-connecta and putting in double the deposit, the monthly pcp payments are an eye-watering £467! That’s £275 more than my 30Kwh 6.6 Tekna, when combined with all the other things that aren’t so great #rapidgate and the much reduced amount of cabin storage an those awful thick centre console knee panels (they really made a pigs ear of that redesign imo) then price is the only thing that will persuade me to stay with the brand in 12months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
When they launch the 60 kWh version it will come at a price premium over the 40 kWh version. Some of that price difference may be because the price of the 40 is lowered....
I suspect, as more battery manufacturing capacity comes on line and EV volumes increase, that prices will come down anyway. Nissan will be facing real competition in the EV marketplace as new models come on line, so the pricing won't be entirely in their hands.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
I have sat in the new Leaf 40 and had a good look at boot space. It was not significantly noticeably smaller IMO. Is still a bigger and more comfortable option than a ZOE or i3. Hyundai would win on space/comfort against Leaf 40 though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can't agree with that. Leaf boot is bigger than ioniq electric, ioniqs 'premium' trim is inferior to Tekna. Haven't seen premium se trim on ioniq though. Headroom in the back especially is better in the leaf.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
I had a hyundai courtesy car and all my family found it comfier than a Leaf and more spacious. Boot had more depth too. I do think a 24/30/40 leaf is a better £ for £ buy though. Hyundai a bit pricey.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
149 Posts
That’s the main stinger for me, ran some figures recently and even dropping to n-connecta and putting in double the deposit, the monthly pcp payments are an eye-watering £467! That’s £275 more than my 30Kwh 6.6 Tekna, when combined with all the other things that aren’t so great #rapidgate and the much reduced amount of cabin storage an those awful thick centre console knee panels (they really made a pigs ear of that redesign imo) then price is the only thing that will persuade me to stay with the brand in 12months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've noticed they are more widely available on lease lately, prices are getting keener from about £270 a month on a 9+23 basis. Still too expensive (hefty deposit) imo but hopefully will come down further

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I've noticed they are more widely available on lease lately, prices are getting keener from about £270 a month on a 9+23 basis. Still too expensive (hefty deposit) imo but hopefully will come down further
I didn’t realise the new Leaf was widely available!

I thought new orders for delivery’s were expected October onwards.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I didn’t realise the new Leaf was widely available!

I thought new orders for delivery’s were expected October onwards.
Since I got mine on 31st January I've only seen 1 LEAF on the road (or rather up someone's drive) other than a couple of demonstrators....you'd think now that Autumn was over a LEAF would stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Isn't there supposed to be over 20000 orders for it in Europe. I wonder how many have actually made it on to UK roads to date?

I'm sure there is some website that gives that info, but I can't remember it off hand.

·
Registered
17,380 Posts
Isn't there supposed to be over 20000 orders for it in Europe. I wonder how many have actually made it on to UK roads to date?

I'm sure there is some website that gives that info, but I can't remember it off hand.
That's orders, not deliveries. Bit cheeky for Nissan to call it a sale when it hasn't been paid for...

The SMMT data says 3,894 pure EVs this year. So I guess Leafs can't be more than a quarter of this?

EVS & AFVS Registrations - SMMT

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I had a hyundai courtesy car and all my family found it comfier than a Leaf and more spacious. Boot had more depth too. I do think a 24/30/40 leaf is a better £ for £ buy though. Hyundai a bit pricey.
Was it the Ioniq electric though ?

There are significant differences in boot space, suspension design etc between the fully electric version and the Ioniq hybrids.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Since I got mine on 31st January I've only seen 1 LEAF on the road (or rather up someone's drive) other than a couple of demonstrators....you'd think now that Autumn was over a LEAF would stick out like a sore thumb.
I’ve not seen another new leaf but then I have not even seen one other 18 reg car on the road.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Was it the Ioniq electric though ?
Yes 100% pure BEV. I wouldn't drive anything else. The reason I ended up with it as while my Leaf was in for repair I insisted only on 100% pure BEV for a courtesy car. I actually said I didn't care what it was, just as long as a BEV, did not expect a Hyundai!

As it happens my first home PV system was 4kW of Hyundai panels. 5 years old and still going great. Not sure what that means, but Hyundai seem a good brand I guess?

21 - 40 of 96 Posts