Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Yes 100% pure BEV. I wouldn't drive anything else. The reason I ended up with it as while my Leaf was in for repair I insisted only on 100% pure BEV for a courtesy car. I actually said I didn't care what it was, just as long as a BEV, did not expect a Hyundai!
Was it a Nissan dealer that gave you a Hyundai loaner ? That seems pretty ironic. :D

Although I've crossed the Leaf 40 off my wish list thanks to rapidgate the Ioniq Electric is still on my "to be considered" second hand list when they get to about 5-6 years old.

Although the battery capacity is a bit smaller they are legendary for their miles/kWh efficiency especially at faster motorway speeds, and have (I think ?) the fastest charging rate of any non-Tesla vehicle in the UK at the moment, if you have access to a 100+ kW charger, so in the future once we see 150kW CCS rapids rolled out in the UK (should be plenty of them by 2023!) it's 70kW charging rate with active battery cooling should still be pretty competitive.

Apart from directly front on I think it's a better looking car than a Leaf as well. I guess we'll see how well they last over the next 5 years and what prices they come down to...

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
@DBMandrake no, long story short is I got hit by a large business vehicle while parked and everything was done via their insurance. I would need to check what insurer it was as can't recall and it got a bit complicated, because I needed what seemed like the special request of a spaceship (aka a BEV to you and me). I got passed from one insurer to another and eventually ended up with some courtesy car provider giving me a £27,000 low mileage Hyundia. I saw the paperwork and it was costing about £160 a day, but that's how the insurance industry works and what we play inflated policy prices for eh.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Check out the contracthireandleasing.com website
No idea about delivery dates though.
Which is what I was referring to. Anybody can advertise a car for sale. Delivery is a completely different matter :D

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
Yes 100% pure BEV. I wouldn't drive anything else. The reason I ended up with it as while my Leaf was in for repair I insisted only on 100% pure BEV for a courtesy car. I actually said I didn't care what it was, just as long as a BEV, did not expect a Hyundai!

As it happens my first home PV system was 4kW of Hyundai panels. 5 years old and still going great. Not sure what that means, but Hyundai seem a good brand I guess?
May I ask, was this an insurance claim? I had to bill them for fuel last time so BEV would have been nice.

Saying that, the Ioniq won't fit my charger, but as long as it comes with granny cable...

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
@(redacted) yes but not a claim on my insurance. Which makes it easier to request a BEV than if on your own insurance (although you still have to go through the process of someone who drives some strange spaceship) and that there is little or no measures if place for such a request for such a strange type of 4-tyre vehicle as a BEV! So in summary on that occasion there was a bit of a song and dance as usual, be we got there in the end with a fancy Hyundai.

But when I recently crashed the I-Miev it was a different story, I was liable and it was all on my insurance. At first they would only give me an ICE. I explained my story, not driven an ICE for years, don't use fossil fuels etc, then they got a bit interested and tried to help me. Then a week had passed and they decided I could only get an ICE after all, as I had not took out policy number 1234XX (or something they quoted). I was like eh? Policy number what? Apparently policy number 1234XX or whatever it was includes a BEV as a courtesy car, otherwise it is on discretion of insurance. I did mention to them I had never heard of special policy number 1234XX and such a thing was never mentioned or offered to me when I took out the insurance but they did not really care.

It then moved onto them saying they would provide a BEV via Enterprise, a Leaf, but only when my car went in for repair. So guess what my car went in for repair, decision to write it off was taken. I never ever did get a courtesy car, and I just got my cheque in the post yesterday, which took 2 weeks to arrive for the payment for the car.

Funny thing is they would not force a BEV courtesy car on an ICE driver would they?

It was a hassle and inconvenience of course not having a courtesy car, but I preferred that to the mere thought of driving an ICE again. Just my personal preferences though.

There was never any discussion of claiming back petrol costs etc by the way, but then I think even that can become a hassle and trying to sort out and get such things reimbursed can be come problematic and unwanted admin.

My conclusion is if you have a BEV accident, it is quite likely there will be a fair deal of polava trying to get a BEV courtesy car, regardless of your policy type, and it probably won't be guaranteed.

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
Thanks, that's really interesting. In my case they said that I was required to minimize costs (true) and a suitable size fossil was the cheapest option. Never thought to say I had some objection to fossil fuels on principal, although I do.

Could get interesting as long range BEV becomes more common. A Leaf 24 with a missing bar won't cut it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blimey, that response is quite worrying especially the part about updating Charge Points. I can categorically say manufacturers haven't (or at least WE haven't) been contacted about this. A software update will be ridiculously expensive and time consuming, a hardware one will be even worse.

I'm taking mine out on its first 400+ miles trip tomorrow, interested to see how it copes. Fingers crossed Nissan can update something on the car side!

Reactions: Rory166

·
Registered
10 Posts
From owners manual page EV-20:
• Avoid sustained high battery temperatures (caused, for example, by exposure to very high ambient temperatures or extending highway driving with multiple quick charges [if so equipped]) .
• Use the normal charging or trickle charging methods to charge the Li-ion battery and minimize the use of public Fast
Charge or Quick Charger.

Page CH-6:
Quick charging is possible (even several times a day). If the battery temperature is near the red zone, in order to protect the battery, power of the quick charging will be limited.

This is literally all over the manual. Clearly Nissan knows that these batteries don't like fast chargers. I would not hold my breath for a fix just because some dudes on the internet discovered it for themselves. They will not remove a safety feature to deal with small PR issue.
I made my peace with the fact that this is not a long distance car. It is a city commuter that is sold at lower price than similar cars with active cooling. 60kW version will be more expensive without a doubt. I just hope that they keep selling 40 kW trim for people with different needs and lower budgets.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Interested to know why you are quoting from the US manual?
Because it has pertinent facts left out of the UK version of the manual in the hopes that nobody will notice problems with overheating in a colder country ?;)

As far as we know, there is no difference in the battery itself in different markets...

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm taking mine out on its first 400+ miles trip tomorrow, interested to see how it copes. Fingers crossed Nissan can update something on the car side!
No report back yet? are you still on this 400 mile trip? That's over a week it's taken you now! Is #Rapidgate really THAT bad?

·
Registered
125 Posts
From owners manual page EV-20:
• Avoid sustained high battery temperatures (caused, for example, by exposure to very high ambient temperatures or extending highway driving with multiple quick charges [if so equipped]) .
• Use the normal charging or trickle charging methods to charge the Li-ion battery and minimize the use of public Fast
Charge or Quick Charger.

Page CH-6:
Quick charging is possible (even several times a day). If the battery temperature is near the red zone, in order to protect the battery, power of the quick charging will be limited.

This is literally all over the manual. Clearly Nissan knows that these batteries don't like fast chargers. I would not hold my breath for a fix just because some dudes on the internet discovered it for themselves. They will not remove a safety feature to deal with small PR issue.
I made my peace with the fact that this is not a long distance car. It is a city commuter that is sold at lower price than similar cars with active cooling. 60kW version will be more expensive without a doubt. I just hope that they keep selling 40 kW trim for people with different needs and lower budgets.

I have owned 24Kw & 40Kw versions of the car, both manuals clearly explain that charging times will be increased with rising battery temperature. The Ver. 1 Manual actually explains it better but its still in the 40Kw Manual.

In the early days of proving EV works those driving from Lands End to John o'Groats documented that the high battery temperatures on the 24Kw pack slowed their progress.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Sun glasses holder....

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Lumbar support?

41 - 60 of 96 Posts