Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is only 1 to my knowledge which is at a taxi firm in ST Austell. Does any one know if there are to be Rapid chargers for public use in Cornwall.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have used the St. Austell rapid and would do so again. The guy paid for the machine out of his own pocket, it has been replaced because it developed a fault, when I needed to use it he waited until about 10pm for us to arrive and I thought that the £8 I gave him for a 90% charge (I was on about 2% when I arrived) was money well spent. He runs a fleet of Leafs which come and "nibble charge" between jobs.

The next charger is in Plymouth, at the Nissan dealer's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Foi shows nothing spent of the £1.2 million awarded to Cornwall Council so far but they have said there are plans for 29 rapids, but they said that last year so I guess they're installing them "Dreckly"

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
Hawkins Motors in St. Stephen and in Hayle are also meant to have rapids - only open when the dealerships are open. I have not yet used either, but they did write to me to advise me of their existence - they are the dealer I got ny iON from.

The Hayle dealership is just off the roundabout on the A30 with M&S, Next, and Boots on. There's a fancy furniture shop opposite the dealership (Iroka) so something other than Peugeots to look at while you charge. I don't know what their policy is regarding charging non Peugeot/Citroen EV's.

The St. Stephen dealership is near St. Austell, and has a motorcycle museum in the dealership to look at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A positive word for Hawkins Motors. They were very happy to let us use their rapids (free) for our Leaf on a trip to Cornwall. I can vouch for their outstanding customer service. A family -run company and lovely people...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
"by far the most popular". So one person used the one in ringwood once? Ok I tease, and we'll never know..

I'll probably join up once the android app comes along (or I give up and go to the dark side) as I think there's no yearly fee for app-only users.. but as above I'm struggling to see under what circumstances I'd use the chargers at current pricing . If I didn't have the rex though I perhaps would sign up if only for "insurance"

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
Hmmn - anyone know if it works with an ipad connected over an andoids hotspot? Am off down that way on hols so might be useful for day trips given the lack of any other infrastructure. Their website still doesn't work that well. No map of chargers before they are asking you to register. IIRC I managed to get past the door by googling it last time.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
Aha - google still gets past the sign up requirement (there's no menu to get to this page till after the sign up I believe)

Chargepoint locations

1 - 11 of 11 Posts