Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

How can I check the speed which my Zoe is charging, when connected to a charger? 2kw, 7kw, 22kw etc...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep.

Unless you want to plug in a dongle and use CanZE?
I guess I could, but that’s not as seamless.

Whats the deal with not making this info generally available? its not possible to check time remaining to charge from My ZE either, to work it out remotely...

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Or look on PlugShare to see the power. To be honest it’s not difficult to work out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or look on PlugShare to see the power. To be honest it’s not difficult to work out.
The power rating of the charger doesn’t always indicate how much the battery will be pulling in.

don’t get me wrong, I love the car - just wish you could get at the data a little more

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Whats the deal with not making this info generally available? its not possible to check time remaining to charge from My ZE either, to work it out remotely...
I though it did - and it tells you if it’s slow/fast/rapid charge.

My Z.E. is usually at least 20 minutes old, so there’s complication.

Normally I just note the time to complete before I walk away.

I think the new Zoe shows charging power.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
The power rating of the charger doesn’t always indicate how much the battery will be pulling in.

don’t get me wrong, I love the car - just wish you could get at the data a little more
I agree, it is generally annoying. Something you learn to live with.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
‘Slow/Fast/Accelerated’ appear to be the distinctions, but 7kw seems to be classed as ‘accelerated’... what would that make a 43kw..?

Maybe the new app will unlock some better data features...

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Maybe the new app will unlock some better data features...
Probably not on "old" Zoe...

I agree rate display would be "nice to have". Occasionally I am not sure a 22kW point really is one, but (as above) the time to charge gives a good indication, so I haven't really found it an issue.

·
evezy referral code d6540
1,986 Posts
Hi all,

How can I check the speed which my Zoe is charging, when connected to a charger? 2kw, 7kw, 22kw etc...
I only bother checking if I’m on a 43kW charger to see if the car is pulling the full 22kW. The Polar Ultrachargers are good because they display kW delivered and time. I usually wait for 3 minutes and multiply that figure by 20. The other day I was only getting 18kW which I presumed was because the battery was cold.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
There's a way to do it by timing the minutes/seconds between percentage charge received. I used to be able to do it but I've not done it for so long I've forgotten the formula. It'll be different for the different battery sizes anyway.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not being against, merely wishing to understand, for what purpose do you need to know the charging rate?

Having it displayed for confirmation that it’s charging at the suggested rate?

·
Registered
232 Posts
The new Renault API (you know, the one that goes with the new app that's being "launched during 2019" that still hasn't launched here after the old, long-since-neutered app was removed from Google Play Store) tells you the rate of charge in watts (unless you own a ZE50 in which case it shows you numbers that might be somehow related to something to do with charging), and it seems to update more frequently than the rest of the data (so someone has observed).

I don't know if they expose this data through their app.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was using a rapid with a tethered type 2 cable of the usually hefty weight assuming we would get 22kw, I forgot to look at the time remaining readout, so when I checked the app half an hour later was gutted to find it had hardly changed; I worked it out as 6kw later.

A real-time power readout would have saved a lengthy stop, we could have gone somewhere else right away.

On asking the charger company on Twitter they said the AC got whatever was left after the DC power allocation, whether it was in use or not (it could do both at the same time) so 6kw was as good as it got.

This has made me a bit nervous about simultaneous AC / DC chargers now...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not being against, merely wishing to understand, for what purpose do you need to know the charging rate?

Having it displayed for confirmation that it’s charging at the suggested rate?
Because ‘black box’ information leaves you uncertain. I like to know how the charge or post is performing and whether it’s reaching is maximum potential.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was using a rapid with a tethered type 2 cable of the usually hefty weight assuming we would get 22kw, I forgot to look at the time remaining readout, so when I checked the app half an hour later was gutted to find it had hardly changed; I worked it out as 6kw later.

A real-time power readout would have saved a lengthy stop, we could have gone somewhere else right away.
Exactly. Pretty much nailed it here.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Looking at the charge time remaining doesn't give you any idea of the charge rate you're initially getting as it's averaged over the whole period, including the painfully slow last 10-15%. It definitely should have a read-out that tells you that everything's up and running with the rapid charger properly and it's not resorted back to some low charging speed as Phil found above. I was surprised and disappointed not to find it on the Zoe display as every other EV I've seen does show it.

At least most rapid chargers will tell you the power they're providing which is very helpful.

Otherwise I resort to listening to how loud it's "singing" from the electrical noise in the motor which is used as part of the battery charging circuitry!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts