Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has developed a rattle which sounds like it is coming from the plastic pod by my right knee which contains the air vent. It’s a kind of plastic on plastic grating noise, almost a squeak, which is set off by certain bumps in the road.

I’ve had a feel around in there and it just seems to be the air vent and also a fixed downward pointing vent - nothing obviously loose. No obvious tightenable fixings either - it all seems to be clipped together.

At the moment, I’ve turned up the music a touch and I’m trying not to think about it, but it’s one of those that once you know it is there you find yourself straining to hear it after each bump. I thought about pulling it all apart but that will probably end up with me introducing even more noises if I manage to get it back together again. Maybe stuff some rags in there?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Every rattle I've encountered so far has been caused by a water bottle that someone left in one of the cuddies.

The wife manages to zero in on the source better than me - it never sounds like a water bottle to me. And extraordinary that this has happened on 4 or 5 separate occasions.

So ... are you sure it isn't something stored in the door?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t think so. I did actually pull the entire piece of trim out in the end and I’ve just been on the school run. The rattle is less but still there so I think the trim piece with its vent outlet is amplifying it rather than causing it. All the various bits and pieces behind the panel seem rock solid. I did find three torx screws which I’ve nipped up a bit as a last attempt but other than that I’m stumped.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After having virtually all the trim out I’ve now decided this is more of a creak than a rattle and is probably coming from outside the car. My first thought was it maybe the front offside wheel trim but a couple of miles with it removed put paid to that theory. That leaves me with the brake disc or the suspension. We’ve been having loads of surface dressing done on the roads round here lately and I’m wondering if a stone chipping with a bit of sticky tar on it has found its way in there somehow and is making a nuisance of itself.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the wheel off in the end but couldn’t see anything amiss. It’s still rattling away so I’ve booked it in at my local dealer to get rid of it. The bandits want £20 to cover insurance if I have a loan car.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've got a rattle coming from somewhere behind the driver's seat. It sounds a bit like the back seat is loose in the catch you release to put the seat down but it doesn't stop when someone's sitting in it. I've given up trying to find it for now, I just turn up the music. My car has spent almost half its life in and out of the garage already & I can't be bothered to mess around booking it in at the moment now everything is (mostly) working.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mine is remarkably rattle free apart from the top of the drivers window when it is fully up and I am going around a tight right hander over broken surfaces. Very niche! More of a buzz than a rattle.

Open the window a mm and it stops.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The worst thing about these things of course is that once you know they are there you find yourself straining to hear them. I've tried Kansalis' approach, but I still listen for the rattle in the gaps between tracks or in quieter sections.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The worst thing about these things of course is that once you know they are there you find yourself straining to hear them. I've tried Kansalis' approach, but I still listen for the rattle in the gaps between tracks or in quieter sections.
Yes, and it's made worse by the fact that the car is so quiet on the road too, which sounds oxymoronic. Every tiny noise is noticeable.

I also have a permanent buzz from the speakers (even when there's nothing being played), which is very quiet and almost unnoticeable until you do hear it. Then it's incredibly annoying. I'll get around to booking the car in at some point to look at both issues, but they are so minor in the overall scheme of things that I've been putting it off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got a rattle coming from somewhere behind the driver's seat. It sounds a bit like the back seat is loose in the catch you release to put the seat down but it doesn't stop when someone's sitting in it. I've given up trying to find it for now, I just turn up the music. My car has spent almost half its life in and out of the garage already & I can't be bothered to mess around booking it in at the moment now everything is (mostly) working.
I had an extremely annoying rattle, almost like a constant vibration which sounded like it was coming from behind me somewhere. I was very reluctant to take it back to the dealers too having had it in there for so long so spent time every journey trying to eliminate various things around the back of the car (parcel shelf, back seats, charging cable in various positions, warning triangle etc).

I was about to give up, but having had two passengers sat in the back it appeared to have stopped and therefore it had to be the back seats not being clipped in properly and their weight had resolved it. This was despite me pulling them forward and back a number of times in my investigations.

It came back slightly after I moved the seats forward again to fit something in the car. So I reopened them and then slammed them back shut as hard as possible and I haven't heard a peep out of it since! It must be temperamental as to whether they clip in properly even when you do shut them quite hard, but my aggressive slam appears to have solved it for now.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I had loads of rattles all over the place, but since I got my audio system upgraded by a 3rd party installer they’ve all gone. Some combination of refitting panels and putting deadening materials in the doors in particular I guess.

The only thing that remains that drives me nuts is that my seat makes a creaking sound sometimes when I go over bumps, as I posted about in another thread. If I raise the seat height a couple of notches and lower it again, it usually goes away for a bit, but always comes back again.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The only thing that remains that drives me nuts is that my seat makes a creaking sound sometimes when I go over bumps, as I posted about in another thread. If I raise the seat height a couple of notches and lower it again, it usually goes away for a bit, but always comes back again.
I forgot about this, I had something that sounds the same. Its the seat belt clip 'stem' (for lack of a better description) rubbing against the seat. A small piece of cloth between the 2 stops it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Mine makes a sound like a motor kicking as it starts every so often which seems to be associated with the climate control, not that I've heard it for 6 weeks as the dealership is still waiting for instructions from VW on how to get V2.1 firmware to install. I've asked them to look at it as I did the last 2 times they've had it as well, but they've failed to fix it in the 15 weeks they've had the car in total since it was new.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not an ID.3 but, just after I got the Ioniq, I noticed a rattle that sounded like it was coming from somewhere around the base of the offside A pillar. I tried without success to find the source only to discover, purely by chance, that it was actually being caused by my backpack being in a certain position on the back seat. It usually goes behind the driver's seat (which causes the rattle). I noticed that the rattle stopped during some enthusiastic cornering which had caused the backpack to slide across to behind the passenger's seat. Sound travels in unexpected ways around the inside of a car. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I forgot about this, I had something that sounds the same. Its the seat belt clip 'stem' (for lack of a better description) rubbing against the seat. A small piece of cloth between the 2 stops it.
Oh, excellent, thanks! I'll give this a go. Wonder if VW will apply their own small piece of cloth for customers at some point as a minor recall to be done during servicing if it's a widespread thing?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I put it down to being on the more slender side of build and the angle across the lap tugging the clip slightly. It really is only slightly rubbing but it's enough to notice and tune into.

Might be bollocks though.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,189 Posts
I put it down to being on the more slender side of build and the angle across the lap tugging the clip slightly. It really is only slightly rubbing but it's enough to notice and tune into.

Might be bollocks though.
You definitely don’t want it rubbing on those!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took the wheel off in the end but couldn’t see anything amiss. It’s still rattling away so I’ve booked it in at my local dealer to get rid of it. The bandits want £20 to cover insurance if I have a loan car.
Well, it's gone in this morning to see if the dealer can track down the rattle and fix it.

I've got a Polo as a loan car - their ID.3 loaner has been out for over 4 weeks whilst they have a gone-wrong 2.1 software update on their hands.

I was given a choice on the loan car insurance in the end - pay £20 and have a £50 excess or pay nothing and have a £500 excess. I'm therefore gambling that I won't crash and someone else won't crash into me and saving £20.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well, it's gone in this morning to see if the dealer can track down the rattle and fix it.

I've got a Polo as a loan car - their ID.3 loaner has been out for over 4 weeks whilst they have a gone-wrong 2.1 software update on their hands.

I was given a choice on the loan car insurance in the end - pay £20 and have a £50 excess or pay nothing and have a £500 excess. I'm therefore gambling that I won't crash and someone else won't crash into me and saving £20.
Those excess terms are now standard among the better dealerships, the worst still charge about £20 a day between compulsory "admin fee and excess reduction" .

The one I took my ID3 in for its 2.1 update charges £20 a day normally, but VW won't allow them to for recall/software upgrade. For normal warranty work I'll be going to the group a bit further away that don't charge for courtesy cars.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rattle update. They called me yesterday afternoon to ask if any other work had been done on the car. I told them the only other thing was the 2.1 software update a couple of months ago. This was done at the Boston dealer, with another franchise, as the Lincoln one couldn’t fit me in at the time. They’ve decided the rattle is coming from the trim in the driver’s footwell which they reckon has been removed and not refitted properly.

I told them I couldn’t see why the software update would need the trim messing about with and the guy mumbled something about ECUs. Anyway, because of this they wouldn’t fix it under warranty but they would sort it out for £60 or I could take it back to the Boston dealer and kick off.

I didn’t fancy either of those options, so I’m going to have a crack at fettling this trim myself. I can’t see any screws amongst it so it looks like the usual load of clips to prise up. I’ll try and take the piece out first and go for a test run without it just to definitely establish it is causing the rattle.

If the worst comes to the worst and I balls it up and can’t get it back together again, their offer to reassemble it for me for £60 still stands.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts