Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Whilst i have been really enjoying the car, especially in the nicer weather(!) i have noticed especially recently in the hotter weather that there are a couple of annoying rattles in the car. The best way to describe them is that they seem to be coming from the door panels, almost as if the glass window is knocking on something inside them... even when the window is up!? has anybody had a similar noise? if so what did it turn out to be?

I've read up about the engine noise speaker rattling, i dont think its that. My initial thinking was perhaps the difference in temperature between the interior and exterior on the particularly hot days when ive also got the AC on? But would you expect a car to do that, especially considering its not a cheap car in the first place?

Thoughts / opinions welcome, thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had the car for 7 months now and really love it but I to have noticed a few rattles ( more like creaking) since the weather has been really hot. Mine seem to be coming from the dashboard area, obviously more noticeable at low speeds but very annoying. Can’t seem to pinpoint a specific area, they were definitely not there before the weather changed, unless it’s just coincidence

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mines going in next week for an intermittent rattle, centrally behind the dashboard to be investigated. Pretty sure its the Soundakator, I've had it turned off from new. I'm going to suggest they remove it totally, just stick it in the boot. My wife was sat in the back on a recent 200 mile journey and reckoned she could hear some coming from the boot, possibly the load through hatch.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
A common rattle is the sun visors, I had a rattle that I though was coming from the roof lining by the side of my head !
I though it maybe the grab handle, it turned out to be the drivers sun visor.
VW have issued a service letter to address the issue, apparently when the visor is closed the rim of the interior mirror rattles on the interior light behind the visor.
The fix is the tim the visor and then install a larger mirror frame, this prevents the bezel from fouling on the light and producing the rattle.
Both the L/H & R/H visors have been reworked on my car.
You can prove the problem ( if you have it ) by pulling down on the visor when you are going over rough road surfaces, if the noise stops when you pull down on the visor then you have located the problem.
The only time I get some noise from the dash on my car, is when the A/C is required after entering into a hot car. The cold air passing through the vents produces the cracking noise due to expansion and contraction of the plastic pipe work behind the dash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A common rattle is the sun visors, I had a rattle that I though was coming from the roof lining by the side of my head !
I though it maybe the grab handle, it turned out to be the drivers sun visor.
VW have issued a service letter to address the issue, apparently when the visor is closed the rim of the interior mirror rattles on the interior light behind the visor.
The fix is the tim the visor and then install a larger mirror frame, this prevents the bezel from fouling on the light and producing the rattle.
Both the L/H & R/H visors have been reworked on my car.
You can prove the problem ( if you have it ) by pulling down on the visor when you are going over rough road surfaces, if the noise stops when you pull down on the visor then you have located the problem.
The only time I get some noise from the dash on my car, is when the A/C is required after entering into a hot car. The cold air passing through the vents produces the cracking noise due to expansion and contraction of the plastic pipe work behind the dash.
Nice, I will have to have a try to see, it’s difficult to pin point whilst driving around by yourself so I’ll put them down on my next drive to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have had the car for 7 months now and really love it but I to have noticed a few rattles ( more like creaking) since the weather has been really hot. Mine seem to be coming from the dashboard area, obviously more noticeable at low speeds but very annoying. Can’t seem to pinpoint a specific area, they were definitely not there before the weather changed, unless it’s just coincidence
Ours had a similar noise, around the instrument cluster.
I reckoned it was between the hard and soft materials, different expansion rates either in extremes of hot or cold weather; exactly what GB gets.
A fine spray of silicone spray around this whole area, with a little manipulation of the soft trim to work the lubricant in has worked wonders for us.
Just remember to only spray around the trim joints, leaving for 10 mins before removing excess with a soft cloth.
No noises since; or have I just jinxed that?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I get a rattle from just left of my knee if I tap my foot on the foot rest which I don't like.
Pretty sure I've also got the Soundaktor rattle, so that will need sorting at some point.

I've heard a clunk occasionally from the left door panel too. Overall the car is put together very well, I think electric only driving just highlights any small issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ours had a similar noise, around the instrument cluster.
I reckoned it was between the hard and soft materials, different expansion rates either in extremes of hot or cold weather; exactly what GB gets.
A fine spray of silicone spray around this whole area, with a little manipulation of the soft trim to work the lubricant in has worked wonders for us.
Just remember to only spray around the trim joints, leaving for 10 mins before removing excess with a soft cloth.
No noises since; or have I just jinxed that?
I am still not 100% sure where the creaking is coming from, it seems to have got a lot better since the weather has gone cooler. I can only hear it when driving very slow, also I know there is a definite similar noise that comes from the boot when I have a large bag in there. My boot floor cover doesn’t seem to sit flat so will carry on investigating - still a great car though and loving it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well got my car back yesterday and despite me telling them where the intermittent rattle was coming from and I suspected it was the Soundakator, they were unable to find it despite a 24 mile test drive:( and having the car all day. Any further investigation would require the car booking in again and stripping down. Told them i wasn't happy with that as I'm driving to Italy on Monday and didn't want an annoying rattle for 2500 miles.

Strangely after 40mins of "investigation" when I got home, I found the loose Soundakator in my garage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well got my car back yesterday and despite me telling them where the intermittent rattle was coming from and I suspected it was the Soundakator, they were unable to find it despite a 24 mile test drive:( and having the car all day. Any further investigation would require the car booking in again and stripping down. Told them i wasn't happy with that as I'm driving to Italy on Monday and didn't want an annoying rattle for 2500 miles.

Strangely after 40mins of "investigation" when I got home, I found the loose Soundakator in my garage.
Nice, how did you go about finding it? Was it difficult to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Step by step guide here Soundaktor Rattle - How To Guide (Pics Inside)

I deliberately timed it from bonnet up to bonnet down. I would use a plastic lever to get the wiper blade caps off. The hardest bit to do is to get the wiper blades off. If I were to do it I would screw a spare 13mm nut onto the wiper blade stem and while pulling the wiper arm up strike the nut with a hammer. I would imagine this makes it a lot easier to remove the wiper arm.
I had the soundakator turned off from new anyway. But if you do remove it you will need to undo the plug/wiring. There is a small grey sliding clip which you pull down to release the plug. Then cable tie the loose wire somewhere convenient.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, thanks... I’ll give it all a tighten / a bit of padding to see if it reduces any of the rattling. I have to admit it certainly seems a lot less ‘rattly’ with cooler weather.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well finally solved my creaking - it was coming from the headlining just above where the sunglasses holder is, just a push was all that was needed. I have a sunroof and have used it quite a lot lately so don’t know if this affected it. I could have sworn it was coming from the dash area, never mind am creak free and a happy chappy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Last Friday I sent my car into the dealers to have a few things looked at, one of those was an annoying rattle which initially I thought was the famous 'soundaktor' rattle. However turned out that it was a heat shield in front of the dashboard and in the engine bay which had come loose after loosing a couple of bolts - problem solved!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts