Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I turn on the fans I hear a rattling noise.
At first I assumed it was a leaf or something stuck in the blowers, but I cant seem to locate anything.

Having done a quick google search it suggests that compressors, pulleys or belts are worm or about to fail.
Has anyone had any experience with this?

It's a 2016 Zoe and only done 25,000 miles so I wouldn't have thought the AC would be failing already?

Unless someone knows the solution, I guess I'll take it into Renault and see what the issue is, although I expect it's not covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Sounds like you may have a leak in the aircon system, the compressor becomes noisy when low/out of gas.
It is covered by warranty my wife's Zoe had a leak at the start of the year and was fixed under warranty.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,295 Posts
If your heater is actually working (heating and cooling) I'd suggest you get the pollen filter changed, bet its got a feather or such stuck in it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As soon as I turn on the fans I hear a rattling noise.
At first I assumed it was a leaf or something stuck in the blowers, but I cant seem to locate anything.

Having done a quick google search it suggests that compressors, pulleys or belts are worm or about to fail.
Has anyone had any experience with this?

It's a 2016 Zoe and only done 25,000 miles so I wouldn't have thought the AC would be failing already?

Unless someone knows the solution, I guess I'll take it into Renault and see what the issue is, although I expect it's not covered by the warranty.
My Zoe is a 2014 or 15 with 37,000 miles

Had an issue around 2 years ago, which Renault fixed under warranty, I believe this was leak.. I had the same symptoms as you have... my car is now back getting looked at as last month it started again but this time went to a reputable company for A/C and within a month (and after £200) it has leaked out again, car is currently with them and they are trying to find out where it is leaking from..

The air con for me, has been a major downfall for the car, can't fault anything else though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your heater is actually working (heating and cooling) I'd suggest you get the pollen filter changed, bet its got a feather or such stuck in it.
I’m pretty sure it was done 5 weeks ago when I had my service, worth checking though. Thanks!

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,370 Posts
Sounds are notoriously hard to describe. If the rattling is "proportional" with the blower speed and comes on immediately, I am with @Sandy.

If not, it might be the compressor low on gas indeed. You can check this with CanZE. Another check for this is to put temp to min, AC off, blower on medium, and in this case, no rattle as the compressor remains off. Then AC on and after a few seconds the rattle should start. The compressor is located behind and below the right side head light. That would be where the noise would be coming from and that is pretty easy to spot, especially with the bonnet open.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds are notoriously hard to describe. If the rattling is "proportional" with the blower speed and comes on immediately, I am with @Sandy.

If not, it might be the compressor low on gas indeed. You can check this with CanZE. Another check for this is to put temp to min, AC off, blower on medium, and in this case, no rattle as the compressor remains off. Then AC on and after a few seconds the rattle should start. The compressor is located behind and below the right side head light. That would be where the noise would be coming from and that is pretty easy to spot, especially with the bonnet open.
Put temp to min, AC off and blower on medium - rattle

I'm inclined to think it's a feather or leaf in the filter, as it does seem proportionate with the blower speed.

It sounds like its coming from near the glove-box although I read the pollen filter is the drivers side?
Is this a DIY job or should I cough up and take it to Renault?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had and still have the so called rattling noise that's related to the fan speed. The sound only occurs on Eco mode, at low air fan speeds - and I'm not talking about the noise made by the fans in the front of the car which are insanely loud. As far as I know, the sound is there from day-one and I attributed it to the quietness of the car. Recently I drove a Captur and I couldn't hear the air fans at all because of the engine, but with Zoe it's a different matter. The captur/clio/zoe ventilation system is, i believe, identical.

I did ask the guys from Renault service to check why is there this noise (it's annoying when waiting at the traffic lights or in a traffic jam), and they did replace the ventilator and said they oiled some bits and pieces, but they can't get rid of the noise.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Does anyone know if aircon problems are covered by the extended warranty? My car is showing every sign of a gas loss. I haven't confirmed with CanZE yet.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Surely must be covered, its part of the car. My wife's Zoe aircon was repaired (had a leak) just before we extended the warranty, the leak was what secured the decision to extend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts