Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone else have trouble with the rear parcel shelf on their 24/30 rattling like crazy on rough surfaces ? Mine does... :(

The noise comes from the left hand pivot point which is quite slack. The right pivot point is slack as well however for some reason the left hand side of the shelf rocks on the ledge towards the rear of the car. (Shelf slightly warped perhaps)

So if you give the middle rear of the shelf a downwards thump the left hand hinge corner jumps up and drops down again. This is the source of the rattle.

It seems poorly designed to be honest. In my other car as well as the pivots being a tighter fit the seat backs press fairly firmly against the shelf preventing it from moving around even if the pivots were loose. The Leaf has a gap between the seat backs and the shelf you can put your hand through...

Also the rear of the shelf in the Leaf overhangs its support ledge by nearly half way (allowing it to rock on the edge of the support ledge) whereas in the other car the parcel tray is supported by the side ledges all the way to the back making it impossible to rock.

The Leaf also leaves the rear of the shelf hanging in mid air with no support letting it bounce, which it does, as it is quite flimsy.

Has anyone attempted to remedy this poor design to eliminate the rattle ? If the pivot points were cylinder shaped pegs I could slide a little bit of rubber tube over them to make a better fit but they're tapered pins.

The only easy solution seems to be to weigh the shelf down a bit.. ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
The shelf on our red 2017 30kwh Tekna rattled a bit from new.
I wound black electrical tape around the pegs either side of the shelf to increase their diameter.
No issues since on what is otherwise a very solid rattle and squeak free car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,097 Posts
Tape a small weight on the underside to keep it steadier? Bits of foam or anti rattle tape might also quieten it.

Maybe it's why people used to have those nodding dogs on the parcel shelf? 😉

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shelf on our red 2017 30kwh Tekna rattled a bit from new.
I wound black electrical tape around the pegs either side of the shelf to increase their diameter.
No issues since on what is otherwise a very solid rattle and squeak free car.
Thanks, I might give the tape a try.

As you say the car is otherwise almost rattle free, making it all the more annoying. (The other rattle is our sons car seat when un-occupied, but that noise is minor compared to the rattling shelf)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well generally I find my 3.5 year old Acenta to be the most rattly car I've ever driven. By some margin, as much as an ISO Country Mile.

The 10 year old Mighty Mondeo diesel is still rattle free despite years of abuse from the youngster and missus, as were the pair of Seats I had previously at similar ages.

And no this isnt down to engine noise covering it, I am a rattle Nazi, there could be a freakin hurricane in the Mondy cabin, trust me I would still hear the rattle coming from a piece of memory foam wrapped in angora wool place in the plush centre of the passenger seat.

Not only does the Leaf have the highest number of different sounding rattles from different areas of the cabin (including the same parcel shelf issue you have), but it has the single worst rattle I've ever had the misfortune to suffer. Comes from the boot area and not in the boot as taking of the shelf off and removing EVERYTHING including the pump etc doesnt make it better or worse.

I reckon it is from under the plastic cover that spans the middle 3/4ths of the underside of the rear of the cabin ceiling, just in front of the hatch. Gentle tapping of that panel when the hatch is up fills me with no confidence, nasty plastic and very 'rattly' to the rap.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Or some tasteful cushions...

Reactions: Scorzon

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well generally I find my 3.5 year old Acenta to be the most rattly car I've ever driven. By some margin, as much as an ISO Country Mile.
Surprised to hear this. Mine is completely rattle free apart from the parcel shelf and a slight rattle from our booster seat - I know because I took it for a drive with the shelf and our sons booster seat removed and there were no remaining rattles! And that's even with the hard riding CrossClimate's on the car... :p So dunno what's up with yours. Maybe it was built on Friday afternoon ?

Our Peugeot Ion had a lot of rattles on the other hand. Plastic strips in the boot, A pillars, behind the dashboard, inside the rear doors, you name it. I gave up trying to track down and silence all its many rattles. My 23 year old Xantia is still rattle free so old doesn't necessarily mean rattly. :)

My temporary fix for the rattling parcel shelf is to leave a spare jumper spread out on it. Who knows, it might come in handy one day too. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've had to resort to playing my favourite music at high volumes, but even I can only stand so much Celine Dion.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I've had one rattly one and others non rattly. When I looked the shelf wasn't a snug fit width wise and I chucked it in under warranty.
They removed and refitted the plastic trim either side of the shelf and replaced the pegs and the shelf. Stopped rattling ever since until I took the shelf off and it twisted a little. Spent some time slowly finessing it back and it's been fine since.
They are very light and this is the crux of the issue as well as not having any dampening on them.

The new ones are heavier and have small bits of piping on them too to dampen against the boot lid itself as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts