Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Rattling sound from rear

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  leave 
#1 ·
When cold (under 15 c) and on slightly bumpy road I get a rattle from rear right panel (where suspension is). Couldn't prove to dealer as it stops after a 10 min drive and they couldn't spot anything.
Didn't do it from new only after 6 months. I'm mainly concerned because my first 2013 wasn't welded properly in factory and had creaking from rear when driving car up curb (twisting stress on chassis). They recalled the whole car and ordered me a new one!
Any ideas people?

#2 ·
Whoa! Back up a bit. o_O
You bought a brand new 2013 Leaf. It creaked, they checked it and then gave you a new replacement car? :(
Was this one of the first cars out of the Sunderland factory? Or is this now a regular occurence?
Kind of makes me relieved I bought an older 2011 Japanese Leaf... o_O

As you your rattling, it only does it from cold? How long a rest does it take to start making the noise again?
I have a faint memory of a mate of mine having a similar problem, he ended up taking to a either an MOT place (with the rollers to test the brakes) or a tuning place which had a rolling road set up, and bouncing the car as it was 'moving' on the rolling road. From memory he left the car parked outside the place overnight and they looked at it together first thing in the morning. I can't remember what the problem was, but it was a pretty scientific approach to get to the cause as the dealer couldn't find the problem.

#3 ·
Yes it was one of the first, other than the dealer demo cars I had placed the order about 2 months before the started being delivered. Nissan sent their top guys in to analyse the fault so they took it seriously enough to recall the car and send back to Sunderland. I wasn't too happy with how customer services kept me in the dark though. I had to argue for a courtesy car, they didn't provide like for like, told me my new car was ready for collection twice only for me to have a wasted journey because it wasn't... I would have told them to shove the car if there had been any comparable alternative I could have had instead!
So what was the outcome of your friends problem?
It only happens after been sat for the night

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.