Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought theirs out yet?

Update to buy out - March 2020

RCI have just announced that they will now allow customers to buy their leased battery packs. Initially, this is only being offered to owners of Renault Zoe 22kWh. Later it will be offered to all vehicles, Zoe ZE40, Kangoo & Twizy, but as yet no timescale is available as to when this will be available to these other models.

An example I was quoted today (12/03/2020) was £3,000 for a Renault Zoe ZE22 registered 8/9/2015 and has done 29,500 miles (although they didn't ask for the mileage).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Interesting to work out what pricing model they are using? Does it matter the state of health?
£3000 is around 3 years of leasing for most people (varies depending on mileage).
So would you plan to have your 4.5 year old car for at least 3 more years before you save any money? At that point would the residual value difference between lease and bought outright make up the difference in the lack of warranty risk?

ZE40 batteries new were £6600 (RRP- there were deals around). If doing 4500 miles you only broke even after 9 years of ownership. I guess the price they offer will depend on their appetite to get cash now when they are struggling?

·
Registered
578 Posts
People have bought out the batteries, you have to do it through a dealer so you need one who can see past the end of their nose and many can't unfortunately... DSG Morecambe are very clued up on the Zoe so are probably a good starting point.

They calculation is just depreciation value of an asset, basically the price is 10% off per year cumulatively. It doesnt take into account battery health and there will be no variation in the price due to "their appetite to get cash" - you also can't negotiate, they offer a price and you can take them up on it or not!

Cheers.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,935 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have asked for a buyout quote from RCI and I'll let you know what they say. My 65 plate Zoe has 14k on it, currently paying £59/mo.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting to work out what pricing model they are using? Does it matter the state of health?
£3000 is around 3 years of leasing for most people (varies depending on mileage).
So would you plan to have your 4.5 year old car for at least 3 more years before you save any money? At that point would the residual value difference between lease and bought outright make up the difference in the lack of warranty risk?

ZE40 batteries new were £6600 (RRP- there were deals around). If doing 4500 miles you only broke even after 9 years of ownership. I guess the price they offer will depend on their appetite to get cash now when they are struggling?
I hardly think Renault are struggling, they are pretty much state funded right now from the french government.

The battery lease is the golden goose for them. Everybody loves recurring revenue and the lease holder is pretty much paying it come what may forever.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hardly think Renault are struggling, they are pretty much state funded right now from the french government.
"French finance minister Bruno Le Maire, who is considering a 5 billion euro ($5.45 billion) loan for Renault to help it through the coronavirus crisis, warned on Friday that the company could disappear if it didn’t receive help soon."
Renault is 15% owned by the French state.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have asked for a buyout quote from RCI and I'll let you know what they say. My 65 plate Zoe has 14k on it, currently paying £59/mo.
I got quoted £3500 for a 65 plate with 49k on it a few weeks ago. Have been paying £49/mth. And will continue to do so until I get rid of the sodding thing!

·
Registered
136 Posts
"French finance minister Bruno Le Maire, who is considering a 5 billion euro ($5.45 billion) loan for Renault to help it through the coronavirus crisis, warned on Friday that the company could disappear if it didn’t receive help soon."
Renault is 15% owned by the French state.

As i said, they are now state funded. I doubt 3k from bob from milton keynes is going to make much of a dent on the balance sheet. The monthly recurring revenue is much more attractive to sell on from the battery lease. Doesnt need to be an auto maker that takes it on. A bank could buy the batteries off renault and take over the lease management should they need to raise cash.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
Remember with regard to Zoe 22kw, if you buy out the battery you revert to 5 year and 60K mile warranty with just 60% capacity and no breakdown cover. I can't see it making sense for most owners, except perhaps those doing high mileage. Although they are perhaps most likely to need the 75% capacity warranty.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
q
8/yr, 100k and 66% according to the email I got.

But then their left hand doesn't always know what their right one is doing.
That is only on 40kWh battery.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
Badger also confirmed the 22kWh buy outs would benefit from the increased 8yr warranty.
That is good news, especially for higher mileage owners, but I would want in writing before handing over the wedge of money ;)

Will make it complicated to know warranty status if you buy a used Zoe though as original "i" models only have 5 years.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That is good news, especially for higher mileage owners, but I would want in writing before handing over the wedge of money ;)

Will make it complicated to know warranty status if you buy a used Zoe though as original "i" models only have 5 years.
For sure.

Tell me about it. Not to mention not giving the option to current ZE20-i owners...

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, if I understand it correctly, on a 2013 model 22kw Zoe, if I were to buy out the battery now, there would be warranty only until next year, 2021 and no more breakdown cover? (8y)

·
Registered
788 Posts
So, if I understand it correctly, on a 2013 model 22kw Zoe, if I were to buy out the battery now, there would be warranty only until next year, 2021 and no more breakdown cover? (8y)
For my Fluence, I was told the warranty would stop when I bought the battery.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts