Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just called the EV operations of RCI (0330 331 0220, don't bother with the main number) and have been told that my 22kWh March 2015 car has a battery buy out price of £2750.
Then asked what the price would be if I left it a year. The bloke on the phone went one better and put in a date for an early 2013 car and it still came back as £2750. Which he already knew but was just checking for me.

I then asked about a year newer car and was told a March 2016 car would be £3500, so with the number quoted at the beginning of this thread for a September 2015 car being £3000 it seems to all fit together.

Good news about them not asking for mileage, so those that are only paying the minimum £50 could look to make a decent saving as they appear to not care about that. Not 100% on that though as RCI might want that to close out the lease.

Although only some dealers can sort this out the closest one to me is over 80 miles away. I was told it can be done over the phone just the paperwork would all be via London Renault office.

As the warranty is only useful when the SOH goes down below 75% and mine is reading between 94-98% It is going to be a fair few years before I would even think about it being helpful. In the mean time if I bought the battery the car would be worth more instantly. It isn't only the amount of money that you'd save each month, you have to take in to account the value of the car. If I assume the value goes up by just £2k but stays that much above the lease version it would only be a year or so before it would be financially beneficial. If the value was the full battery price more then it makes sense to do it now. If the price does not go up at all, which clearly isn't going to happen, it would take me 4.5 years for it to pay off. That makes much less sense to me, but is also unrealistic.

With more EV's about the aftermarket sector is going to start having replacement batteries at a fraction of the main dealer cost and will have greater capacity. It will be a big chunk of change but would eventually be a decent upgrade in range which would again bump the valuation of the car. I admit some people aren't going to want a 10 year old EV that has done 100k miles but if it can do 200+ miles on a charge then if it is in good condition it will be worth more than just the battery.

The real value is in there somewhere.
Does anyone have any idea what a battery owned 2015 Zoe is actually worth today? I can't find one for sale to compare it again.

·
Registered
918 Posts
There's another thread where I recently posted links to two ebay ads for the same 2015 car. The dealer seemed to be seeing which option would be preferable.

£6995 leased. £9995 owned.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
There's another thread where I recently posted links to two ebay ads for the same 2015 car. The dealer seemed to be seeing which option would be preferable.

£6995 leased. £9995 owned.
Yea when I was looking for my MiL a couple of years back they were around the £11-12k range.

Recently I've started seeing them more regularly and now at the £9-10k mark.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,935 Posts
For my Fluence, I was told the warranty would stop when I bought the battery.
No irony in the fact that you basically had no warranty as RCI would refuse to repair Fluence batteries, and dither until you gave up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Will give them a ring myself today to get a price and confirm the warranty situation for a Jan 16/65 plate.

If the buyout price is the same or less then the value it adds, surely food due thought.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Taken a while, but just got a price to buy the battery: 3.5k. Price decreases every year on the anniversary of the registration, but they didn't say by how much.

Warranty confirmed as 8 years or 100k miles, but the battery needs to hit 60% for that to be relevant. No mention of mileage covered.

Will enquire again in January when it's another year older, but can't say I'm tempted just yet.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've just told my colleague about this as his wife drives a non-i Zoe, and he's excited since he can then justify keeping the car. I've asked him to let me know the cost, it is a 67 plated car.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,935 Posts
Taken a while, but just got a price to buy the battery: 3.5k. Price decreases every year on the anniversary of the registration, but they didn't say by how much.

Warranty confirmed as 8 years or 100k miles, but the battery needs to hit 60% for that to be relevant. No mention of mileage covered.

Will enquire again in January when it's another year older, but can't say I'm tempted just yet.

On first taking on the car the first year of the battery lease the value of the pack remains the same, after year 2 onwards its value drops by 10%. Its never going to be cost effective to own a hired pack car, should have got an i model (apparently if your an early adopter its your own fault than Renault didn't offer the i model too).

Reactions: Old Man Peabody

·
Registered
120 Posts

I'm not sure the price does decrease every year. There's a guy on Facebook that got a price of £2750 for a 2013 Zoe. I'm trying to find the post but he got the price this week. @Zarni has the same price for a 2015 model a few posts behind.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm guessing £2750 is the lower limit and once it hits that it doesn't get any cheaper

I'm guessing mine's got a couple of reductions to go before I get to that stage.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
As I understand it, it is based on the age of the battery not the car, so if the battery has been replaced (even under warranty) then the clock for the depreciation on the buy out price restarts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Does anyone know what starting price do RCI put on the 22 kWh battery to then depreciate?
Probably close to what is on your battery lease agreement for the insured value.
Its £6160 reducing by 10% each year, the 1st year starting on the 1st day of 13th month of manufacture.

Example: car registered on 15th Jan 2015,
It reduces by 10% to £5544 on the 1st Feb 2016
1st Feb 2017 it reduces another 10% to £4989.60

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thanks, their valuation seems a bit high, but they set the prices. If a new batteries cost $150 / kWh at pack level, a 22 kWh battery which is 26 kWh true size should today cost $3900 which is roughly £3120. Renault are proposing to sell a 6 year old and degraded battery for £3274. I realise it cost them more than £3120 to make the battery but I'd have thought that they would have to base the price on the current manufacturing price. It seems a bit expensive to me. For instance if I have a 6 year old SD 128 Mb memory card I wouldn't expect to be able to sell it for more than I could buy a new bigger card for.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks, their valuation seems a bit high, but they set the prices. If a new batteries cost $150 / kWh at pack level, a 22 kWh battery which is 26 kWh true size should today cost $3900 which is roughly £3120. Renault are proposing to sell a 6 year old and degraded battery for £3274. I realise it cost them more than £3120 to make the battery but I'd have thought that they would have to base the price on the current manufacturing price. It seems a bit expensive to me. For instance if I have a 6 year old SD 128 Mb memory card I wouldn't expect to be able to sell it for more than I could buy a new bigger card for.
Purely theoretical. Show me a new 22kWh ZOE battery and I might agree with you

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
With the greatest of respect, but the apparent value of the battery itself on the basis of the price of the raw materials is largely irrelevant...

The only thing you need to decide is whether the depreciation of the car with an owned battery will be greater or less than the depreciation of the car + RCI's prediction of the depreciation on the battery in the form of lease payments.

Using valuation tool from AT, a 2016 ZE20 lease with 20k miles today is valued at £6k trade, and a ZE20-i with 20k miles today is valued at £8,500. So a difference of £2,500.

You know you will be paying RCI at least £588 for the battery depreciation, so you need to make an estimate on what the value of the car may do. We can use AT valuations on 2015 cars to get an estimate, and a ZE20 lease with 24,500 is valued at £5,500, so £500 depreciation on the car + £588 on battery lease = £1,088 total spend.

A 2015 ZE20-i with 24,500 is valued at £7,500, so depreciation of £1,000 over the year.
So buying the battery now could save you £88, if you are to believe the AT valuation guides as a reflection of the values in the next year. Not a lot in it either way.....

If you plan on buying in a year, then you know the battery buyout will be £3,000 in a years time. I'm not sure why you would wait and pay £588 in lease payments when you know it will only reduce by £500? Even more so if you on a higher mileage lease payment.

Interestingly, Renault seem to simultaneously argue that increased mileage causes greater depreciation of the battery and therefore demand higher lease payments, but also suggest is does nothing to reduce the value of the battery if you want to buy it from them....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Recently had a letter from Renault Finance that states that the terms and conditions of my battery lease on my 2015 22kWh Zoe mean that I am NOT allowed to buy the battery. So I presume it must be a personal thing and they don't want to offer me the opportunity to buy the lease out! Strange but true.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Recently had a letter from Renault Finance that states that the terms and conditions of my battery lease on my 2015 22kWh Zoe mean that I am NOT allowed to buy the battery. So I presume it must be a personal thing and they don't want to offer me the opportunity to buy the lease out! Strange but true.
I believe you have to do it through a dealership.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts