Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anybody had had one of these already, but I just got cold called by RCI (couldn't answer as I'm on work meetings).

Immediately after I got an e-mail with a £3500 battery purchase offer on my ZE40 pack.

Not a good offer for me, would take 50 months for me to save in rental the purchase amount.

Anybody else had one of these yet? Going to call back later today and try to haggle down.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,728 Posts
Yes, this has been available for a while now.

You won't haggle them down, but it goes down by £500 or so every 6 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I wonder what happens with promised battery capacity / warranty if it's bought out, since they guarantee 75% capacity or they replace the pack when it's rented. I assume all promises of battery capacity go away.

Does anybody know the price of a replacement battery if it does need to be replaced outside of rental / warranty?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
RCI needs to get an English speaking person to compose an email template.

I'd be asking for a discount in lieu of compensation for violence done to my native language, not to mention setting off my scam alarm bells.

:)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Interesting, I wonder what happens with promised battery capacity / warranty if it's bought out, since they guarantee 75% capacity or they replace the pack when it's rented. I assume all promises of battery capacity go away.

Does anybody know the price of a replacement battery if it does need to be replaced outside of rental / warranty?
It reverts to the 8yr/100k mile warranty that you get on battery owned models.

The capacity limit is a bit lower, something like 65% IIRC. Not that I'm that bothered given I am still at 98% after 4.5yrs given my low mileage (12,500 so far).

Not a good offer for me, would take 50 months for me to save in rental the purchase amount.
Don't forget the value of the car increases as well. So some of that additional outlay will be recouped when selling (whenever you decide to).

·
Registered
Zoe R110
430 Posts
Late 2015 Zoe offerd battery for £2600, which I think is poor
Still better than the £2750 I paid for my 2015 battery last year. I know at the time it was their bottom limit for the 22kWhbattery so they are at least revising the lower limit as well.

When I sold the car the other week I got every penny back but also didn't have to pay at least £400 in RCI payments since the buy out, so I suppose I was up on the deal :). Currently battery owned cars seem to be the lease car price plus the battery buyout price. Which is fine as you then save the £50 a month.

As long as the battery owned car price don't depreciate more than £600 (£720 for the ZE40) a year more than a lease battery car, which is very unlikely, then you are going to be up on the deal in the fullness of time.
Obviously if you are paying more than the base price for the lease then you would be better off, but I hope everyone is aware that RCI don't care for mileage at all.

Currently the buyout cost are keeping the aftermarket prices fair. I can't see them suddenly dropping the prices as it is just money for old rope for them at this point. Warranty pay outs must be really low at present. There will be a point where the lease payments don't cover the warranty payouts but I think that is many years off yet. The longer the car is on the road the more likely it is to be scrapped for some other reason.

I wonder what RCI do with the batteries they take out of written off cars?

Reactions: Trevor Larkum

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,491 Posts
Do RCI even see batteries from written off cars? I'd imagine they're scavenged immediately and RCI are just paid off.

·
Registered
Zoe R110
430 Posts
No idea, but the number of cars on copart that don't have batteries is at the sort of level you'd expect from lease battery cars but there are others that still have the battery so I don't think it is just down to opportunistic people removing batteries.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,281 Posts
Yep, battery leased owners are being actively canvassed to try to get them to purchase the battery, RCi want out of battery lease.
But why? Why would a bank want away from such an easy to benefit from cash cow, money always coming in?

Oh wait.... the automagic BMS update could only hide the issues for so long right?

Think of the Fluence owners.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,728 Posts
But why? Why would a bank want away from such an easy to benefit from cash cow, money always coming in?

Oh wait.... the automagic BMS update could only hide the issues for so long right?

I know you love a good conspiracy.

But the reality is they do this with their car leases as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Because it is a monumental hassle keeping tabs on all of the leased batteries is my guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My concern is that my car is already over 4 years old. Only 4 more battery warranty years left, if it dies after that I'll be up the creek without a paddle, unless it's still rented and they'll replace for free. I find it more tempting to keep it rented.

·
Registered
Zoe R110
430 Posts
FYI they don't say they will replace the battery if the SOH goes low, just make it so it is above the minimum SOH. The cheap option is to swap out the single worst cell or two that is bringing the pack down, so do you think they will do anything but the cheapest option. Your battery might be swapped out but that would be for a "repaired" one.

Over time more old batteries will be around and then some of the smarter garages will start offering a battery repair service for a sensible sum. There is already a 40kWh battery on ebay right now for £5k. That seems a bit high but it has already started.
I know from experience that getting the battery out is a very simple thing to do. You just need people that want to repair the battery. A couple of hours of labour and how ever many cells are needed then you are good to drive away again.

With all that, I am not even slightly concerned about the battery being this stupidly expensive brick with no value.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,622 Posts
FWIW, aka nothing.....
  • Repairing one defective cell pair just to get it over the SOH limit, while true to the contract, doesn't make much sense unless that one cell is SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE than the others, meaning, well, that that single cell is, ehm, defective. Otherwise the customer would be back in no time and the battery handling is expensive. Yes, I know, they could lift it over the warranty limit etc, but truth to be told, those are all very speculative stories. I for one (sample of one indeed ) have never heard of this happening.
  • I did buy out the battery lease of my late 2013 Q210, 83% SOH
  • I intent to drive this battery for at least another 2 years, probably more. After that, I do have nice, known, cheap donor hardware for restocking it with proper, modern, cheap cells. I fully expect that operation to double both the range of the car as well as it's lifespan. Yes there are always lemons but I have had only good experience with my ZOE (knocking on wood while writing this)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line with CCS
137 Posts
I just had the call from RCI. Offer is £4000. I'm hardly using my ZE40 Q90 (Sep 2017), as I also have a leased ZE50, but as I am paying the top-end monthly rental it makes sense for me to buy it...and just sell it in the car future when I want to. If I have that invoice to say I own the battery it just makes life easier.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,728 Posts
I just had the call from RCI. Offer is £4000. I'm hardly using my ZE40 Q90 (Sep 2017), as I also have a leased ZE50, but as I am paying the top-end monthly rental it makes sense for me to buy it...and just sell it in the car future when I want to. If I have that invoice to say I own the battery it just makes life easier.
I think you can change the battery rental to a lower level.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Saying that your rental is cheaper than buying the battery misses the whole point of actually buying it - you own it! The car value will go up almost certainly covering the cost of the battery purchase, so you've lost no money by buying it and "wasting" money by paying RCI for the lease. It's a bit like the difference between buying and renting a house.

But our 55k-mile 2015 R240 is sitting at 83% SOH and falling. Previous summers have seen the range at around 80 miles for the daily commute; this summer, it's between 65 and 70. So purchasing the battery is less attractive as we (or the next owner) may have to claim on the battery warranty. So leaving the lease in place at least gives us the peace of mind, and gives us (or a future owner) the option to purchase later.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts