Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1904, electric cars were widely available in the USA.
They could do about 80 miles on a single charge and travel at speeds up to 60 mph.
Such a lot of progress has been made in the last 100 years, 2.1/2 times the range, a similar improvement in the speed :)
The only significant changes are in the shape of the body and the addition of a few gimmicks.
That's what I call real progress.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,469 Posts
They could do about 80 miles on a single charge and travel at speeds up to 60 mph.

It is correct that the land speed records of the 1800s were all electric cars, peaking at 65mph in 1899, but the mass market vehicles were designed to do around 25mph and I doubt anyone would have wanted to even attempt to get any production car before 1910 above 40mph. At 20mph, you could get around 60 miles. You could probably get a 22kWh Leaf beyond 200 miles at 20mph.

If you have contrary information, please share it. There seems to be little in terms of genuine technical specifications of these early vehicles.

Also worth mentioning that the price of a typical electric car in those days was the same relative money as a top range Tesla would cost today. So bearing in mind that comparison, that's going from 60 miles at 20 mph to 300 miles at 70mph, for the same relative money.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,853 Posts
In the early part of the last century gasoline, steam, and electric were pretty much neck and neck in market share - the internal combustion engine won out due to ease of use and range. Interestingly the gasoline ICE was hailed as the solution to London's pollution problem - horse excrement!. As @donald says, the vehicles of the time and in particular the EVs were pretty slow by modern standards, partly due to the poor roads and partly due to the mechanical suspension and steering systems of the time. Battery life and recharge rate was limited by the technology of the time but for a time it was still pretty competitive. The ICE won out partly because the liquid fuel could be transported more easily than building a grid infrastructure and the energy contained in it was far in excess of what could be stored in battery.

The advances in battery technology but more particularly electronics and computers have made EVs now a more viable option coupled with the realisation over a number of years of the harmful effect of pollution. It's interesting to note however that some of the original EVs are still functional today with little or no restoration compared to their ICE counterparts - have a look at Jay Leno's garage episode on the Baker Electric as an example. He found the original batteries were still functional after a flush out - he did swap to Lead-Acid, but more for convenience.

As an aside Jay Leno also has a collection of steam cars which have always fascinated me, including two Dobles which were incredibly advanced - his video on how not to start a steam car is quite fun!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Such a lot of progress has been made in the last 100 years, 2.1/2 times the range, a similar improvement in the speed :)
The only significant changes are in the shape of the body and the addition of a few gimmicks.
Reminds me of the old business conundrum, “Ok Mr customer, there is price, quality, delivery time, you can choose any two attributes, I get to set the third”. So your point should be revised to “there is up to 80 miles of range,up to 60mph top speed, and price, you pick any two I set the third”

And back then as pointed out by other posters, you could not have both 80miles range and 60mph top speed, you got to pick one only.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,469 Posts
As a discussion topic, it is also worth focusing on @pbceng point about electronics. Handling large electrical power flows according to the modern requirements was impossible then. Today the DC supply is digitally chopped into thousands of short pulses every second by the inverter, and the number and/or width of the pluses finely controlled to achieve the desired level of sophisticated control.

In those days there was no inverter at all (nor on-board charger*) and the DC motor stator was constructed into 4 windings, each called 'quadrants' (no rare earth metals*). The driver merely selected the first quadrant to get going then slowly fed in more quadrants. Basically, the accelerator had 4 set points. Probably not an acceptable level of refinement these days.....

*(imagine how much cost is taken off a modern electric car without these parts)

So we're not just talking range and speed, we also consider price, refinement and several other quality factors, safety being quite a big one these days! Of course we know this already. There again, there might have conceivably been some advantages; maintenance requirements would have been higher too, but would have also been much simpler operations, possible repairs at the side of the road. Unlike today where some recovery services actually refuse to come out because it is an electric car!

We live in a different world now. Things change. We love the old electric cars of the turn of the 19th century, and we'd all like to have a garage like Leno with a few of them in it, but our fate is a modern life and the cars of today that are available to us now are different technologies offering new opportunities. Relish the past, but onward to the future!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

Or I suppose it could also remind me of the What Have the Romans ever Done for Us speech.

Rest is just gimmicks.
What about safety and abilty to survive a crash at 60mph?
Well OK there’s safety but otherwise gimmicks.
What about abilty to charge up to 80 miles in 30 minutes.
Well OK yes there’s that but otherwise gimmicks.
What about abilty to cycle the battery 10x more?
What about 4x power density allowing more space in cars?
What about zero maintenance of the batteries ?
What about abilty to have double the speed and double the range, together?

Ok, I see what you mean, apart from safety, charge speed, battery life, reduced space of batteries, no need to maintain, more room in cars, and double the speed and double the range at the same time, the Romans have done nothing for us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts