Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yep, bound to happen and it's been said for years that this is what they'll be used for when cars can't use them.

·
Registered
955 Posts
What do they do with the cars? Equally perfectly reusable! Even a 2010 Leaf will be in very reasonable condition.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What do they do with the cars? Equally perfectly reusable! Even a 2010 Leaf will be in very reasonable condition.
Put a new battery pack in it and give it a new lease of life I'm guessing as the motor and drivetrain should be good for hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Super Moderator
7,227 Posts
Put a new battery pack in it and give it a new lease of life I'm guessing as the motor and drivetrain should be good for hundreds of thousands of miles.
I really hope there's an actual plan for upgrading batteries in gen1 cars, both of mine are down to 10 capacity bars now.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I really hope there's an actual plan for upgrading batteries in gen1 cars, both of mine are down to 10 capacity bars now.
I don't see why not, it's not a major replacement like an ICE engine would be, it's a few bolts and a few cables and making the batteries shouldn't be an issue, there's even the chance to upgrade the batteries as they've become more energy dense over the time the cars have been available.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
But will Nissan do this at a reasonable price? They like to sell new cars...
Exactly, but if third parties can refurbish or manufacture the battery packs then it would still be ok.

Prices are coming down but if I remember right it's around the £4000 to £5000 mark.

·
Super Moderator
7,227 Posts
I don't see why not, it's not a major replacement like an ICE engine would be, it's a few bolts and a few cables and making the batteries shouldn't be an issue, there's even the chance to upgrade the batteries as they've become more energy dense over the time the cars have been available.
Yep popping in a 40kwh replacement would be really good!

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
It has often occurred to me that fitting a block of batteries in a 24 kWh Leaf boot floor, that can be linked to the main pack to increase it to match a 30 kWh cars range, would be a useful modification using batteries from pranged cars.

Is there a technical reason why this can't be done, apart from introducing weight and suspension problems over the rear wheels? Perhaps @Mike Schooling could put me straight.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Exactly that. Weight, suspension and safety.

We have done 24KWH and it makes the car undrivable (awful understeer). 6KWH would make a diffe3rence but the price point would make it more viable to simply trade the car in.

Refurbs on the other hand....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
This is where who's battery's are going? Ie who has had a battery replacement that ment Nissan could re-use it somewhere else, or even better who are these hundreds of people ?
Maybe battery packs from warmer climates where the packs degrade quicker, or crash/recovered packs, or packs that had bad cells and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm sure there is some truth in that but it doesn't = hundreds for me. From a trawl of the web I see maybe 10-20 packs replaced. Plus if I crash my car and my insurance company sell the wreck at auction it won't be Nissan UK who buy it, I just can't see that happening, this sounds like green wash to me, yes this maybe a market in 5-10 years time, but the big demo systems you see now I'm sure are using a large number of battery's that have never been fitted into a car.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Presumably there were a lot of test R&D cars that they had to scrap (the US has a weird law about tax, which means you have to actually scrap the R&D cars in order to get tax relief or something)

Japan has also had the Leaf since 2010 so may well have run through a lot more packs - shipping them over as a PoC may have been justifiable.

I also have a suspicion that ex-PCP cars don't necessarily get sold on - I know that my Gen 1 Leaf is still showing as no MoT and no VED so it was either exported or scrapped. Or is parked in a dealer's lot somewhere, nearly two years later.

·
Super Moderator
7,227 Posts
I'm sure there is some truth in that but it doesn't = hundreds for me. From a trawl of the web I see maybe 10-20 packs replaced. Plus if I crash my car and my insurance company sell the wreck at auction it won't be Nissan UK who buy it, I just can't see that happening, this sounds like green wash to me, yes this maybe a market in 5-10 years time, but the big demo systems you see now I'm sure are using a large number of battery's that have never been fitted into a car.
At this point I expect it's made from cells/modules which failed QC at time of manufacture. But if the concept works, then they know it's worth collecting the old cells from cars and reusing them.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Lets hope the government don't see this, they will probably ban it over here as its too 'renwable' and sensible with not enough £ in it for them.;)

·
Registered
952 Posts
I suspect that Nissan will in the first instance require the old battery back when quoting for complete replacement; the potential market for even a well used vehicle battery for home storage has huge potential I'm sure they want to exploit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Exactly, but if third parties can refurbish or manufacture the battery packs then it would still be ok.

Prices are coming down but if I remember right it's around the £4000 to £5000 mark.
When I bought my 1 year old Leaf from Nissan in July, I specifically asked what the cost of a replacement battery would be. They were a bit non-committal, but suggested the replacement pack would be about £4k, but that there was a £1k rebate/ trade-in for the old one. Which seems to be another way of saying it'll be £3k, since I very much doubt many punters will want to keep their old, depleted battery pack.

I'm more worried that, if the battery depletes to the level where it's no longer useful for my travelling distance, the 24kWh pack will no longer be manufactured, so a replacement just won't be an option. As I understand it, the new 30kWh packs (and presumably any bigger packs that appear in the future) can't be fitted in the 24kWh cars.

All of a sudden, there's a lot of interest in BEVs with big batteries, and 24kWh is looking very puny.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts