Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One advantage to converting an old car to electric has been the opportunity to show it to people at car shows. I have talked with many people with different opinions concerning electric vehicles in general. Many people are excited and genuinely interested in my car while others are opposed to the very concept. I was recently told that the concept clearly does not work despite the fact that I had driven the car many miles to the show. When pressed to explain his position, he went on to explain that I was destroying the Earth with very dangerous batteries and that the manufacturing footprint was much larger for an electric car. The fact that the car does not burn any gas and is energy equivalent to 125 miles per gallon did not impress him at all. The fact that every car has at least one battery and the chemistry of EV batteries is relatively safe compared to other automotive batteries did not sway him. He was on a mission to save the internal combustion engine which he felt is a much greener alternative to "very dangerous batteries" which, he said, are destroying the Earth. Another man had a very different reaction to my car. He was very supportive and enthusiastic however, I was unable to agree with his position that the batteries were not necessary because car alternators could generate the power to run the car. I attempted to explain why perpetual motion was not possible but, he was quite certain that turning alternators off of one or, more of the wheels, would generate all the power required. It is times like that when I wish people were not so supportive. There are a few people with their feet set firmly on the ground who understand the working principles of the car and there are children who are both curious and open to learning. These are the people that I enjoy talking with the most. My own outlook for the EV is that as batteries improve and have a greater energy density, the manufacturing footprint will shrink and as we break away from fossil fuels the benefits will outweigh any negative impact. Everything that is manufactured, especially batteries, must be recycled and reused so that waste is held very low. Perhaps there is nothing green about civilization, population growth, and everyone on Earth wanting to drive their own car but, we could do worse than the electric car.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Probably got the extreme confirmation bias response from the first fellow and the curious but ignorant response from the second. Hopefully the attitude of the first idiot will become a dwindling band of internet comment section Gish Gallopers and Dunning-Krugers (says the man posting on an internet message board for a niche product...) and the curious will take things further as social, environmental and, most importantly of all for most people, economic pressures bear down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts