Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating upgrading from a Leaf24 to a Leaf40.

As an experienced Leaf driver I already know;
  • the GOM is nonsense
  • the WLTP etc are all nonsense
  • and that in reality you never want to drive right down to 0% as you will need a flatbed if the range anxiety hasn't given you a heart attack first.
I have seen people here saying that realistic motorway range is about 90-120 miles between rapid charges but my question is, if driven at 55pmh on a steady motorway in the most efficient mode, and if theoretically driven from 100 to zero, in typical British weather (light drizzle and temp between 10C and 20C) how far does a Lead 40 go?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The new capacity is 37.5kWh, just multiply that by the relevant consumption rate for your existing car (about 4m/kWh) so something in the order of 150 miles to Turtle. But it's speed and weather dependent as you know, so rely only on 100 in the depths of a cold, wet, winter.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

• the GOM is nonsense
  • and that in reality you never want to drive right down to 0% as you will need a flatbed if the range anxiety hasn't given you a heart attack first.
I have seen people here saying that realistic motorway range is about 90-120 miles between rapid charges but my question is, if driven at 55pmh on a steady motorway in the most efficient mode, and if theoretically driven from 100 to zero, in typical British weather (light drizzle and temp between 10C and 20C) how far does a Lead 40 go?
The Gom is better but still inaccurate. Always better using percent.
The NEDC was complete pie in the sky, the WLTP is achievable in the right conditions.
At 55mph you would die of boredom before running out of electrons.
But in answer 120 miles easily, 140 more probably.
That's just using my m/kWh I can achieve I have never actually done it.
Life is too short, and electricity is too cheap to suffer that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you are going for a used 40Kwh LEAF, the oldest are coming up to 2.5 years old now, it's worth noting that in my experience and according LEAFSPY the battery tends to loose 1Kwh range per year. The 2,Zero I had was 37.5Kwh when new (as @ElectricIan said) after 2 years and 24K miles, the battery capacity was 35.5Kwh. That is 2Kwh's lose or about 8 miles range.

·
Registered
463 Posts

• the GOM is nonsense

I have had a Leaf 40 for 2 years now. I have had ranges of about 180 miles to as low as 90. The best has been in the summer months with trips around Devon/Cornwall/Dorest all non motorway. My normal 'longest' trip is Devon to Heathrow. Its 200 miles. In the summer I can do that with one rapid charge at the 110 mile mark where I am usually down to about 20%-25%. There are 2 routes I could take. One mainly motorways and one mainly A roads. If I stick to a max of 60mph on the motorway then the 'mpg' is the same as the A roads.

My worst ever trip was coming back from Heathrow this February. It was early morning, dark, windy cold and torrential rain the entire trip. I used the M4 and M5 and due to the conditions rarely got above 55mph. The GOM was dropping like a stone. I needed 3 rapids and got home with little to spare. Luckily 'Rapidagte' didn't affect me even at the 3rd charge.

From my 2 years of Leaf driving I would say that in the summer my range is 150. In the Winter 120. Knock off a good 15% if you want to drive at 70mph and not 60. Likewise knock off another 15% if its very wet and windy.

Others will no doubt have their experiences to tell

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm actually looking to keep the body of my 24 and get a 40kWh battery inserted so it would be a new battery.

Its purpose would be explicitly to make long journeys easier.

Before I commit I will be asking difficult questions of the installer about rapidgate but, regardless, I figure the best way to prevent rapidgate being a serious issue is to, for example, take a 250 mile journey as two legs of 125 miles rather than three of 84 miles with two rapid charges. Going at 55mph will also maintain battery temp better. Hence the question about maximum theoretical range. Living in Glasgow, it is not out of the question that we might want to visit Wales or the far North on holiday hence the thoughts about range.

We have a Chademo V2G home charger and no great desire to overspend hence the upgrade to 40kWh Leaf seems a better option than splashing out on, say, a Kona.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,896 Posts
Cheapest option for 40kWh is the Zoe. Knocks the leaf into a cocked hat on range. The ZE40 110 also seems to have a better heater ie some heat is actually produced. It's noticeably better than the R90 model I had. It's also not that much slower on longer journeys as the leaf charges so slowly and is so inefficient the Zoe is isn't that far behind. I'd think a Q zoe would be on a par if you timed your stops right.

I'd work out the costs. The zoe boot isn't that small, it's the same volume as the Kona...

How much is the 40kwh pack with fitting? I'd wonder what it would cost to wang a 60 pack into a 40.....

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I'm actually looking to keep the body of my 24 and get a 40kWh battery inserted so it would be a new battery.
Where are you going to get a new battery from? All of the conversions that I'm aware of use batteries recovered from written off vehicles.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I regularly do a 110 mile journey in mine, mostly motorway, and I arrive with circa 20% remaining. I make that just over 135 miles.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

• the GOM is nonsense
I reckon 150+ miles in light drizzle at 55 mph with temperature above 10C.

My 40kWh Leaf is 28 months old. I did 37 miles today on local roads and used 23% battery which extrapolates to 160 miles. I wasn't going 55 mph though because it was mostly 30,40 and 50mph speed limits.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheapest option for 40kWh is the Zoe. Knocks the leaf into a cocked hat on range. The ZE40 110 also seems to have a better heater ie some heat is actually produced. It's noticeably better than the R90 model I had. It's also not that much slower on longer journeys as the leaf charges so slowly and is so inefficient the Zoe is isn't that far behind. I'd think a Q zoe would be on a par if you timed your stops right.

I'd work out the costs. The zoe boot isn't that small, it's the same volume as the Kona...

How much is the 40kwh pack with fitting? I'd wonder what it would cost to wang a 60 pack into a 40.....
We are a family of 5 and a Zoe would just be too cramped. Plus we have a Chademo V2G unit which we like. A 62 pack is not technically possible as the battery is a different shape and size than a 40 pack.

Thanks everyone.

As for the source of the new battery, I will be asking for guarantees and seeking proof of safety of batteries. Upgrade is very new process and not without risk. Car is out of warranty so that is not an issue but we want to extend the car's useful life so only wajt decent quality parts.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
We are a family of 5 and a Zoe would just be too cramped. Plus we have a Chademo V2G unit which we like. A 62 pack is not technically possible as the battery is a different shape and size than a 40 pack.

Thanks everyone.

As for the source of the new battery, I will be asking for guarantees and seeking proof of safety of batteries. Upgrade is very new process and not without risk. Car is out of warranty so that is not an issue but we want to extend the car's useful life so only wajt decent quality parts.
I do get your intention on repurposing the current car but do the numbers stack up? What could you sell your car for? Cost to upgrade to a 40 pack? Cost to buy a 40?

Its not like the current 24 wouldn't suit someone as a second car and would be scrapped.

That would bring extra warranty on all EV parts.

However your intention is admirable.

Reactions: Petriix and 80698

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a 2013 Acenta with 68k miles so best resale value would be £7k. But it is a family car with a few scratches and dents, partly caused by our garage where we park/charge it being barely big enough for the job, so a realistic best resale value would be £6k. An appeal of holding onto our Leaf is that it fits in our garage (just, when you park at an angle and don't store anything else in the garage). Whereas a car even a couple of inches longer would not fit. We think we can upgrade for £7-8k so total worth of car would then be £14k which is a bargain for a 40kWh car provided that the battery is good as new and the 2nd and 3rd rapid charge of the day are at least 22kW speed.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Two questions:
  1. Where are you going to get a 40kWh battery fitted for £7-8k?
  2. What ongoing support are you going to get once the battery is fitted?
The charge rate issue is an interesting one. Both Emile and Daniel can tailor the charge rate to your desires but both have moved to being cautious.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two questions:
  1. Where are you going to get a 40kWh battery fitted for £7-8k?
  2. What ongoing support are you going to get once the battery is fitted?
The charge rate issue is an interesting one. Both Emile and Daniel can tailor the charge rate to your desires but both have moved to being cautious.
1. I am speaking to electrongarage.co.uk but it is at very early stages.
2. Excellent question and one which I will be asking.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,896 Posts
The leaf 40 is an inch bigger roughly so that would probably fit. It's also got the 360 camera so I assume you could fold the mirrors in and still drive it in and out...

There's also insurance to consider too. Will they accept a heavily modified car?

It's probably going to be cheaper to knock down the garage side or build it with thinner blocks that would allow a few more inches of width and a bigger choice of cars. Assuming you own your own house I'd think that would offer a better return in the long run than upgrading the Leaf.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I believe that they are using the NZ company EV Enhanced's battery pairing tool. If so, this gives them no control over any of the other parameters that Emile/Daniel have such as charge rate.
My concern is that Nissan will walk away from any future issues with the car and you'll be only supported by that garage.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for helping me think this through.

The garage is so tight that even an extra inch would not be a pushover and there would be inevitable scrapes as corners of the car touched garage walls, especially as the 40 does not have as rounded corners as the 24 thus the real extra space needed at vehicle corners would be more than an inch. We have given thought to extending the garage (or getting a new garage door at the front end to grind out an inch or two) but we are currently budgeting to put a second toilet/shower onto the side of the house as well so every thousand quid is accounted for.

I am trying to weigh up the obvious temptation of a relatively cheap upgrade with the risks of going with new tech and, as you say, probably getting no future support from Nissan. It is not an entirely new concept as I am aware of a couple of other companies offering a similar service.

Who are Emile/Daniel?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,896 Posts
Have you costed up switching to a 30 Leaf as it's going to be a bit better on range but without the size penalty? It may be a good half way house while choice of models increases. There isn't the support complication or the modification complication either.

Acenta with a 6.6 kw charger is £10,500

How long would yours be out of action for while the conversion was done?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Emile = Muxsan (Holland)
Daniel = Dala (Finland)

Daniel will support you working remotely, Emile is considering it but prefers the battery extender route.

For reviews of Muxsan ask people like @whereswally606 who have the extender battery in the UK.

Personally I can't see the value in doing it as the cost of a 30kWh is so small a step up in cost from the 24 and gives you a newer car with a stronger battery and a warranty with support from Nissan. Edit - snap - same advice from @srichards - are we great minds ;) or fools? :eek::p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts