Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
They'll still beat a lot of others to market with a medium range car (assuming ~150 miles is the design goal). Hopefully what's happened in the background is that the news/rumours of Model E in 2017 made them change their mind from a styling refresh, infotainment upgrade and a few% more miles (for relatively little investment on their part), to a much more significant upgrade in range with changes to the layout/platform to actually put in the ~40kwh we wanted from the start. Sounds like that tied in with the Infiniti vehicle, which would have been shipping now with the Leaf powertrain but instead waits for something actually competitive (maybe).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Read and tweeted a fair bit on this yesterday. If they make it 2016 it may tie in with my current car going back and keep me in a Nissan... Otherwise, too late!
Ditto

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Read and tweeted a fair bit on this yesterday. If they make it 2016 it may tie in with my current car going back and keep me in a Nissan... Otherwise, too late!
If "too late" what are your other options given that - Tesla excepted - nobody else is offering greater range?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
If "too late" what are your other options given that - Tesla excepted - nobody else is offering greater range?
Push bike if Tesla's not an option! Who knows what else will be around, but if it's not an obvious upgrade I may downgrade to a cheap older/secondhand EV until something exciting happens. We'll see!

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
I wonder how long this new Leaf will take to "rapid" charge!
Let's make some assumptions:

New battery is 40kwh, with 90% usable. The voltage is the same as the current pack, but the Ah have been increased from 66 to 110.

From ~10% to ~50% the current Leaf will charge at just over 100 amps (about 35kw). The larger Ah cells (66% larger) can cope with a higher current in this phase, we can assume 166amps, but chademo tops out at 125. So from ~10% to ~50% the Leaf would draw 125 amps (about 44kw). Filling 44Ah at 125A would take 21 minutes, and give you roughly 55 miles.

That's not too exciting, but there you go.

Next is the ~50% to ~80% phase, which I normally see about 80 amps. the 110ah cells could take ~130amps in this phase, but we're still limited by 125A on chademo. However battery voltage is increasing to the ~380V range, so we're closer to 48kw charging. That gets us another 33ah in to 80% in a further 15 minutes. 77ah is going to be about 90 miles.

After 80% you would be down to ~30amps on todays Leaf, that should be about 50 amps with 110ah, still about 20kw. That's roughly a further 25 minutes to 100%

So in one hour you'll get about 130 miles. Not exactly stellar, but the fact the 50-80% phase is so much quicker, and that you'll be happier to stay in the 10%-80% phase means the real world experience would be a lot better than with todays Leaf!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Makes a lot of sense, and isn't too dramatic. I wonder though if they will stick with the same charge technology, somehow blend with Renault's approach, or do something different and joined up along the lines of CCS? (CSS?! morning meetings have eaten my brain).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So in one hour you'll get about 130 miles. Not exactly stellar, but the fact the 50-80% phase is so much quicker, and that you'll be happier to stay in the 10%-80% phase means the real world experience would be a lot better than with todays Leaf!
1 hour charge to do 130 miles? I could live with that. Given that the Highway Code says you should take a break every two hours, that should be very roughly 130 miles on the motorway. Factor in the speed at which most motorway services sell their food and that hour could be very adequately used.
It would mean that journeys of about 300 miles (assuming you leave home with 100% charge) should be roughly equivalent to an ICE (also assuming the ICE driver stops for food too). How often do you need to travel more than 300 miles?

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
Makes a lot of sense, and isn't too dramatic. I wonder though if they will stick with the same charge technology, somehow blend with Renault's approach, or do something different and joined up along the lines of CCS? (CSS?! morning meetings have eaten my brain).
Well the CCS units being deployed also top out at 125A, so even if they switched the outcome would be the same. There's "plans" for 200A CCS but that's a few years away yet, but it would help in the 0-50% phase.

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
1 hour charge to do 130 miles? I could live with that. Given that the Highway Code says you should take a break every two hours, that should be very roughly 130 miles on the motorway. Factor in the speed at which most motorway services sell their food and that hour could be very adequately used.
It would mean that journeys of about 300 miles (assuming you leave home with 100% charge) should be roughly equivalent to an ICE (also assuming the ICE driver stops for food too). How often do you need to travel more than 300 miles?
Personally I'd want more like 200 miles an hour(with 200 mile range), that means a one hour stop every three hours. Six hours of driving with an hour break in the middle would be at the top end of what i'd want to do in a day - although if that 200 miles can be delivered in 30 minutes that would be even better.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I could live with 130 miles driving then a break, assuming 130 miles is doable on the motorway at 70-75mph.
In practice, I would probably drive 100 miles, then charge for 20 - 30 mins, then do another 50 -60 miles to my destination.
Assuming I could then charge near my destination for an hour before heading home.
Definitely workable :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Personally I'd want more like 200 miles an hour(with 200 mile range), that means a one hour stop every three hours. Six hours of driving with an hour break in the middle would be at the top end of what i'd want to do in a day - although if that 200 miles can be delivered in 30 minutes that would be even better.
200+200 is close to my sweet spot as well... even driving hard on the motorway recently I still only averaged 51 mile per hour (618 miles over 2 days) because of traffic and roadworks. That equates to eight hours driving with a one hour stop in the middle in a 200+200 EV which is more than enough for me.

Continuing with the wish list theme, wouldn't it be amazing if Nissan licensed Tesla 135kW+ SuperCharger technology and leapfrogged CCS... that would give them a serious lead over the german cars :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
@Flaninacupboard - your calcs make sense, but the recently announced Kia Soul EV has '100kW CHadeMO' charging. OK, today there are no 100kW CHadeMO chargers, but in 3 years its more likely. At least the connector and onboard is rated to take 100kW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts