Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I've had my 58 kWh ID.3 since September I've only rapid charged it a few times and it's never charged as fast as I was expecting. The best I've seen is 80 kW but it's frequently been less. Yesterday I had a 120 mile drive with lots of motorway at 70 mph. We stopped for about 15 minutes then drove to the charger, I had to wait for 5 minutes for one of the Ionity 350 kW chargers to come free, it had just been charging up an EQ C at over 60 kW which was 80% full. I started the charge and the best speed that I saw was 48kW and it dropped down to 43 kW by the time I disconnected at 60% full (enough charge to get me home). I wouldn't have thought that the battery would have cooled so much in such a short amount of time to account for the slow charging rate. My 22kWh Zoe would charge at 43 kW to 80% reliably and the ID.3's battery is almost 3 times the capacity so the 100 kW charging should be a doddle. With no battery temperature display it's hard to tell exactly what's going on.

What charging rates are others experiencing?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I guess the first thing to check is the ID.3 charging curve:

As you can see you'll get full 100kW only up to 30% SOC and probably only when battery is in correct temperature. Other than that is always less than 100kW.

OBD dongle plus EVNotify app will give you battery temperatures.
Screenshot_20210404-194938.jpg

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,632 Posts
Although I've had my 58 kWh ID.3 since September I've only rapid charged it a few times and it's never charged as fast as I was expecting. The best I've seen is 80 kW but it's frequently been less. Yesterday I had a 120 mile drive with lots of motorway at 70 mph. We stopped for about 15 minutes then drove to the charger, I had to wait for 5 minutes for one of the Ionity 350 kW chargers to come free, it had just been charging up an EQ C at over 60 kW which was 80% full. I started the charge and the best speed that I saw was 48kW and it dropped down to 43 kW by the time I disconnected at 60% full (enough charge to get me home). I wouldn't have thought that the battery would have cooled so much in such a short amount of time to account for the slow charging rate. My 22kWh Zoe would charge at 43 kW to 80% reliably and the ID.3's battery is almost 3 times the capacity so the 100 kW charging should be a doddle. With no battery temperature display it's hard to tell exactly what's going on.

What charging rates are others experiencing?
Driving at even 70mph might not warm the battery as much as you’d think, especially if it’s cold weather.

What SoC did you arrive at?

I‘ve seen 104kW when I’ve arrived at 6% after 2.5 hours driving, until around 30% battery, and I’ve also had high 60s kW past 70%, so the FastNed curves aren’t necessarily gospel.

You’ve mentioned Ionity as well, I’ve found those chargers quite variable in power delivery, despite everything pointing to it being a max rate charging experience.

I’ve sometimes moved to the charger next door and got the expected speeds, but difficult to do when the bays are full obviously.

Of all the ID.3 issues, charging rates and reliability isn’t one of them usually, far more likely that the variation is in the charging units. I’m not sure why a lot of people always blame their car first.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I meant to say I started the charge at 42%, so I was expecting to get about 80 kW charging not 48. It was a cool day but I thought the battery would be hot enough. I just wondered if others are seeing slower charging speeds than they expected.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think that in an ideal world, the battery has to be north of 25c for optimal charging speeds. 13c for optimal discharging.

The car battery heaters charge to 13 and maintain and billowing down a motorway at a fairly gentle speed in temps less than 10c is going to do a good job of keeping the battery cool.

I saw 80kw once but I'd just be hammering it around for 70 Miles. Didn't do my economy much good but at least it charged well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts