Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we had our family holiday in the ID4... a real world test of what happens.
Added to that, it was actually two other friends who both drive diesel suvs.
Driving down to cornwall was a breeze... we were fully loaded with 2 adults 2 teens and a bike rack on the back and set off with a 100% charge.
Got to Route 303 with instavolt...
someone else was charging and the diner wasnt open (it was 0700 so too early!)
Started charging as we dicussed out plans for breakfast! Unfortunatly an Audi etron had arrived just before me so I had to charge at around 60kW not 125kW!
Was there for 10 mins added about 30 miles to the range.
Next stop exeter with Gridserve...
We arrived ahead of the barbarian hordes... only one charger in use, so I had no problems. But only charging at 50kW
As we left after breakfast I was bedlam outside and people queuing for a charge.
Left with an extra 100+ miles, but we couldnt wait any longer.

Arrived at St Ives bay with about 50 miles range left - so was fine.

That night I went to charge (had an A, B and C plan!)... GeniePoint is common but be aware I used 4 different geniepoint locations (and one in Ross on Wye) and none charge at 50kW they all charge at around 40kW.

Arrived at the first one and a cocky tesla drive was plugged in... I sat there for a while beside him and he eventually said...'im gonna be here for an hour and a half so no point in waiting' Great I thought because by that time I was on about 15% charge left. He then said 'oh and the one down the road isnt working, I was just there... you'll have to find somewhere else!"
Fortunatly there was a C plan and a D plan... so I headed off to by C plan without checking if their info was correct about the other site.
Got there with less than 10% left and was able to charge with no problems... however a quick reminder to people... load apps and set up cards in advance!
BUT is a long wait when you have a charge of 42kW!!!! 90mins for me to fully charge.

Spend most of the week on that charge.
Then was back visiting a place (adventure quary) later in the week and stopped at the Shell in Penhale.
Nice 150kW charger but one of the two charge points was not working, so had a wait, the nice people said they were charging to 70% and gave me an eta.
We had a chat about challenges of charging on long drives. Only waited 10 mins.
Loved the speed of the charger and was up to 82% in 35mins
As I left 2 other cars arrived to charge.

Did one more charge at the morrisons in Redruth at about 6 in the morning the day before we set off... charged to 100% so was back by 9 to the holiday home!

End of the week, we drove up to Ross on Wye for a canoe trip.
Arrive at Collumpton with the barbarian hordes. People were parking on the verges, and waiting to get into any parking space!
I was lucky and only waited 5 mins. Nice Audi driver called out to me to give me his eta and I was able to start charging quickly.
The Ionty charger wasnt accepting payment... another driver came over to me and said 'we've all had problems starting the charger, so you need to ring them.'
OK called ionity and asked to start the charger using the app... I explaned i didnt have the app and also that there wasnt a data signal.
They gave me a free charge!... what a result!!!!
Anyway, in the time it took to queue for a burger and eat it we had added 150miles and shot off to ross on wye.

That night I drove to the GeniePoint in the local morrisons... empty and so charged up. Was going to be greedy, got to 80% and someone turned up, so I gave them a 5 minute eta and added an few extra miles.

That made the difference... I did the trips in ross on wye and got home without another charge.

Total miles over the 12 days was just shy of 1000 miles. and yes a bike rack on the towbar with 3 bikes on it does effect the efficiency! dont forget that in your planning!

So what's the point of the long ramble...
  • Firstly you can do family holidays in an EV.
  • You need to do your research on where chargers are and what you main stopping plan is. Be prepared for a B plan. (and know a C plan too) - people have said this often but you really need to make sure you know where the charge points are before you get there.
  • Expect the family to grumble, so be prepared to do charges at night or in morning when they are in bed, if you dont have access to rapid chargers. they wont notice you missing for 2 hours but they will notice they are sitting at a charge point for 90 minutes!
  • Slow down!!! I add this comment, because driving in a convoy in the first part of the holiday, I was being sucked up to higher speeds and watched the efficiency decrease. 5mph can make a big difference!!! I had my mates teasing be about range etc... by I got my own back when I was able to drag race them with a fully loaded car and overtake them!!!! Seriously thought, drive a few miles slower and the range increases a lot.
  • Set expectations... expect the journey to be a little longer; expect to stop for longer or maybe more frequently; expect you might need to turn off the aircon for a bit!!!
BUT more importantly, dont let range anxiety get hold of you.

Oh one last point... If you wonder why I didnt use the charge point in the railway station at St Erth... I recced the place... the station was full to the brim, the charge points were full and clearly the cars had been left there for the day! I would only use this as a last resort, in the early hours because clearly you cant get into that location to charge easily. Pick places with fast footfall, no places where people are leaving cars for long hours.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, with Tesla superchargers opening up (and I hope before next summer) that will help but yes the main issue isnt range… I could get everywhere I wanted.

it was all about the chargers… slow! Long waiting if you didn’t have b plan; long t8me to charge because not fast enough.

would love a charge forecourt with 350 and 150 charger points, near Newquay on A30 or maybe Redruth/Hayle acrea. Would help those in Cornwall a lot.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,110 Posts
Yep, with Tesla superchargers opening up (and I hope before next summer) that will help but yes the main issue isnt range… I could get everywhere I wanted.

it was all about the chargers… slow! Long waiting if you didn’t have b plan; long t8me to charge because not fast enough.

would love a charge forecourt with 350 and 150 charger points, near Newquay on A30 or maybe Redruth/Hayle acrea. Would help those in Cornwall a lot.
Gridserve are putting 12 chargers (under a canopy!) at Cornwall Services, hopefully by Xmas.
6x 350kW DC (inc 1 "accessible") & 6x 22kW AC (inc 1 "accessible") to go at the East end of the carpark.
The planning application for this was approved 22nd July 2021.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gridserve are putting 12 chargers (under a canopy!) at Cornwall Services, hopefully by Xmas.
6x 350kW DC (inc 1 "accessible") & 6x 22kW AC (inc 1 "accessible") to go at the East end of the carpark.
The planning application for this was approved 22nd July 2021.
great news, (and I forgot this location has been discussed previously till I looked at the plan!) It is a little far up for me if Im down at Hayle, but its good because it can be used quickly when passing!

BUT you highlight something which raised a question...
Its high season... 10 cars wanting to charge on the 350kWh chargers... 1 is an accessible bay... can I use it because there is a queue or do we leave it empty because I dont have a blue badge?
How will accessable charge bays work? will the rules be like regular parking bays? or is it just they have more space if they use that bay?

Do we know what the rules will be????
And seriously, if it were high season, with a queue, would anyone leave the charge point empty or would they ignore the fact its an accessable bay?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've literally just returned from Cornwall (Newquay) yesterday drove from Newcastle Upon Tyne. One stop at Birmingham at a Shell Garage and another around Devon way, both 175kw/150kw Chargers. The only issues I had where most of the service stations only have one fast charger mostly in use or is in poor condition so I'll avoid them for the next one.

The MFG Chargers were problem app didn't work and every time it failed and i provided my contactless bank card it reserved £15 which wasn't ideal, think it reserved about £60 before I eventually gave up and went to another charger.

·
EGGY
1,692 Posts
I think GeniePoint have over stay charges so your cocky Tesla driver might not have been so cocky when he got his bill :). The chicken and egg of demand for EV's vs availability of charging is going to be difficult for years, there's a bit of me that thinks we might have had it good in the last 3 years ...

Opening up SC ? Hmm, it will be interesting to see what the detail looks like and if they can provide the same trouble free experience to a wide range of cars from a wide range of manufacturers, many of charge point providers struggle with this. Of course if everyone is back on jets to the Med next year it will ease the holiday pressure on the UK public network :rolleyes:

PS, nice to hear that in general people were helpful and understanding of others needs to charge

Reactions: Flash DaEV

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've literally just returned from Cornwall (Newquay) yesterday drove from Newcastle Upon Tyne. One stop at Birmingham at a Shell Garage and another around Devon way, both 175kw/150kw Chargers. The only issues I had where most of the service stations only have one fast charger mostly in use or is in poor condition so I'll avoid them for the next one.

The MFG Chargers were problem app didn't work and every time it failed and i provided my contactless bank card it reserved £15 which wasn't ideal, think it reserved about £60 before I eventually gave up and went to another charger.
I've seen something today on an ID 3 group regarding the MFG chargers. Apparently they don't complete the handshake / checks etc because a locking tab won't engage due to the charger handle sitting differently within the socket on ID's.
The solution (apparently) is to apply pressure to the left hand side of the charger handle i.e. push the charger handle to the right. This then allows the tab to engage and the handshake / checks to complete. Haven't tried it myself as haven't been near the Wigan MFG chargers yet.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate Long Range RWD in Gravity Gold, Eco & Tech packs
269 Posts
So we had our family holiday in the ID4... a real world test of what happens.
Added to that, it was actually two other friends who both drive diesel suvs.
Driving down to cornwall was a breeze... we were fully loaded with 2 adults 2 teens and a bike rack on the back and set off with a 100% charge.
Got to Route 303 with instavolt...
someone else was charging and the diner wasnt open (it was 0700 so too early!)
Started charging as we dicussed out plans for breakfast! Unfortunatly an Audi etron had arrived just before me so I had to charge at around 60kW not 125kW!
Was there for 10 mins added about 30 miles to the range.
Next stop exeter with Gridserve...
We arrived ahead of the barbarian hordes... only one charger in use, so I had no problems. But only charging at 50kW
As we left after breakfast I was bedlam outside and people queuing for a charge.
Left with an extra 100+ miles, but we couldnt wait any longer.

Arrived at St Ives bay with about 50 miles range left - so was fine.

That night I went to charge (had an A, B and C plan!)... GeniePoint is common but be aware I used 4 different geniepoint locations (and one in Ross on Wye) and none charge at 50kW they all charge at around 40kW.

Arrived at the first one and a cocky tesla drive was plugged in... I sat there for a while beside him and he eventually said...'im gonna be here for an hour and a half so no point in waiting' Great I thought because by that time I was on about 15% charge left. He then said 'oh and the one down the road isnt working, I was just there... you'll have to find somewhere else!"
Fortunatly there was a C plan and a D plan... so I headed off to by C plan without checking if their info was correct about the other site.
Got there with less than 10% left and was able to charge with no problems... however a quick reminder to people... load apps and set up cards in advance!
BUT is a long wait when you have a charge of 42kW!!!! 90mins for me to fully charge.

Spend most of the week on that charge.
Then was back visiting a place (adventure quary) later in the week and stopped at the Shell in Penhale.
Nice 150kW charger but one of the two charge points was not working, so had a wait, the nice people said they were charging to 70% and gave me an eta.
We had a chat about challenges of charging on long drives. Only waited 10 mins.
Loved the speed of the charger and was up to 82% in 35mins
As I left 2 other cars arrived to charge.

Did one more charge at the morrisons in Redruth at about 6 in the morning the day before we set off... charged to 100% so was back by 9 to the holiday home!

End of the week, we drove up to Ross on Wye for a canoe trip.
Arrive at Collumpton with the barbarian hordes. People were parking on the verges, and waiting to get into any parking space!
I was lucky and only waited 5 mins. Nice Audi driver called out to me to give me his eta and I was able to start charging quickly.
The Ionty charger wasnt accepting payment... another driver came over to me and said 'we've all had problems starting the charger, so you need to ring them.'
OK called ionity and asked to start the charger using the app... I explaned i didnt have the app and also that there wasnt a data signal.
They gave me a free charge!... what a result!!!!
Anyway, in the time it took to queue for a burger and eat it we had added 150miles and shot off to ross on wye.

That night I drove to the GeniePoint in the local morrisons... empty and so charged up. Was going to be greedy, got to 80% and someone turned up, so I gave them a 5 minute eta and added an few extra miles.

That made the difference... I did the trips in ross on wye and got home without another charge.

Total miles over the 12 days was just shy of 1000 miles. and yes a bike rack on the towbar with 3 bikes on it does effect the efficiency! dont forget that in your planning!

So what's the point of the long ramble...
  • Firstly you can do family holidays in an EV.
  • You need to do your research on where chargers are and what you main stopping plan is. Be prepared for a B plan. (and know a C plan too) - people have said this often but you really need to make sure you know where the charge points are before you get there.
  • Expect the family to grumble, so be prepared to do charges at night or in morning when they are in bed, if you dont have access to rapid chargers. they wont notice you missing for 2 hours but they will notice they are sitting at a charge point for 90 minutes!
  • Slow down!!! I add this comment, because driving in a convoy in the first part of the holiday, I was being sucked up to higher speeds and watched the efficiency decrease. 5mph can make a big difference!!! I had my mates teasing be about range etc... by I got my own back when I was able to drag race them with a fully loaded car and overtake them!!!! Seriously thought, drive a few miles slower and the range increases a lot.
  • Set expectations... expect the journey to be a little longer; expect to stop for longer or maybe more frequently; expect you might need to turn off the aircon for a bit!!!
BUT more importantly, dont let range anxiety get hold of you.

Oh one last point... If you wonder why I didnt use the charge point in the railway station at St Erth... I recced the place... the station was full to the brim, the charge points were full and clearly the cars had been left there for the day! I would only use this as a last resort, in the early hours because clearly you cant get into that location to charge easily. Pick places with fast footfall, no places where people are leaving cars for long hours.
At St.Erth are you talking about the 50 or 22KWh chargers. Again if the 50KWh was hogged all day the £10 overstay charge would kick in after 95 mins.

·
Registered
Audi Q4 40 S line. VW ID4 GTX (on order)
147 Posts
The OPs write up doesn't instill any sense of holiday vibes to me. Sounds like a right chore, I don't want to be charge hunting on a night I want to be chilling out. I don't want to be wondering if we can get to the destination despite having various plans (if theres even multiple options depending on where you're going)

It's stories like this that put me of going as a full EV household and sticking with the diesel for the moment.

I guess trickle charging at the holiday destination is a work around, if you can do so.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The OPs write up doesn't instill any sense of holiday vibes to me. Sounds like a right chore, I don't want to be charge hunting on a night I want to be chilling out. I don't want to be wondering if we can get to the destination despite having various plans (if theres even multiple options depending on where you're going)

It's stories like this that put me of going as a full EV household and sticking with the diesel for the moment.

I guess trickle charging at the holiday destination is a work around, if you can do so.
thats your take on it, Im sorry.
Actually nothing was a real problem... the wife had more of an issue than I did because she has little patience! I was expecting a problem for the trip as I charge at home and dont use public chargers. Instead I found it was absolutely fine. Just required a little foresight to get charged.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
350 Posts
I think it's a mindset.i'm regularly doing trips from Hayle to Wolverhampton and back. I just write each day off at either end as an adventure day and love it. I've had 9 and 10 hour journeys over what was previously 4.5-5 hr journeys in an ice yet somehow I arrive more refreshed. I think because I'm more engaged in the trip, driving slower, not on the edge of my seat for the entire trip trying to get to the back on the next queue as quickly as possible and enjoying the problem of the challenge of where to charge next ( only got 30kwh with 'safe' range of 50 mIles - but will happily go to 90 ( in the summer) if I have to go a-huntin') .
I f l get a trip whereby I hit every charger with no hold-ups or problems what a day that is!! The sun truly shines 🌞🌞🌞.
.....aaaand I've met some lovely folks when having to wait. So much so that most times I'm glad I waited rather than going off a-huntin'
Lovely 😁👍
Thanks to the OP for the post, loved reading it.... and it sounded so much better than wasting all that time in an airport departure lounge 😂

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's a mindset.i'm regularly doing trips from Hayle to Wolverhampton and back. I just write each day off at either end as an adventure day and love it. I've had 9 and 10 hour journeys over what was previously 4.5-5 hr journeys in an ice yet somehow I arrive more refreshed. I think because I'm more engaged in the trip, driving slower, not on the edge of my seat for the entire trip trying to get to the back on the next queue as quickly as possible and enjoying the problem of the challenge of where to charge next ( only got 30kwh with 'safe' range of 50 mIles - but will happily go to 90 ( in the summer) if I have to go a-huntin') .
I f l get a trip whereby I hit every charger with no hold-ups or problems what a day that is!! The sun truly shines 🌞🌞🌞.
.....aaaand I've met some lovely folks when having to wait. So much so that most times I'm glad I waited rather than going off a-huntin'
Lovely 😁👍
Thanks to the OP for the post, loved reading it.... and it sounded so much better than wasting all that time in an airport departure lounge 😂
my neighbour was asking me about the EV and how I was getting on,
I said something similar... the mindset needs to be different! you need to take brakes, so take a book to read. Its actually quite relaxing.
I never would think of flying to cornwall... but yes agree it was a loverly experience and one that instilled more confidence in longer drives.

Just dreaming about what EV im going to upgrade to, next year! maybe an audi Q4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts