Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I have read many reports of squeezing different levels of economy out of the ZS, and other cars, on this site and what strikes me is that many of the people claiming awesome economy are using conditions that put me in mind of the lab testing conditions that have got car manufacturers into so much trouble.

Who would like to join me for a real world test?

The conditions are as follows:
1. Start with the car fully charged
2. Use normal driving mode
3. Use the comfort consumers as you would in an ICE car
4. most critically, drive it as you would an ICE car. If you tended to do 70+ on the motorway in an ICE car then do the same

I am entirely cognisant of the idea that to get maximum efficiency out of an EV one must change driving style. However, changing habits, as well as everything else that needs to be changed when swapping to an EV, is probably too much for many people. For many people a regular 2, 3 or 4 hour drive needs to stay as similar as it can be, clearly charging is an issue in those cases.

The test is over once the HV battery light starts to flash (I don't want anyone to be stranded). Report the distance travelled.

No cheating: Don't tell me that you have always done 50mph down the M40 drafting lorries regardless of the car.........

·
Registered
276 Posts
You are in an EV, not an an ICE. Driving style HAS to be relearned and drive it as an EV, not an ICE.

More relaxed driving is the life of an EV driver. If you bought an EV and expected to fly around everywhere at 80 mph, then you have bought the wrong car. IMO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am not going to try this , but would assume you will be closer to 100 miles range , if you can actually drive that far at 70 mph in one go (not possible round where i live for sure!)

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I like the op idea. I'm not retired and most of our general trips are fitted in around other things and time is often an important consideration.
I drive at the speed limit on the main roads as most people do and will carry on doing after they have switched to an EV.

I drive a Niro not an MG so my miles on a charge aren't relevant but on longer trips mostly on the A14 dual carriageway with its abundance of roadworks around Cambridge I average about 3.4-3.8mi/kWh this time of year but that isn't all at 70 because of the road works.
A constant 70 on a winters day in East Anglia is probably 3.0mi/kWh and up.

This morning with a light covering of very wet snow on the roads I only averaged 2.9 instead of my usual 3.6-3.8 driving to work in the Golf so wet roads make a huge difference.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are in an EV, not an an ICE. Driving style HAS to be relearned and drive it as an EV, not an ICE.

More relaxed driving is the life of an EV driver. If you bought an EV and expected to fly around everywhere at 80 mph, then you have bought the wrong car. IMO.
Happy to have differing opinions about what real world driving looks like, I think everyone has a different opinion. Flying around at 80 everywhere is unrealistic in an EV, I agree. Sitting at 50 on a motorway is equally unrealistic for any significant volume of driving.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Happy to have differing opinions about what real world driving looks like, I think everyone has a different opinion. Flying around at 80 everywhere is unrealistic in an EV, I agree. Sitting at 50 on a motorway is equally unrealistic for any significant volume of driving.
Agreed. However, sitting at 50mph on UK motorways seems to be the norm now in a lot of places. Reading to London on the M4 is a good example. All the "smart" motorway sections generally result in slow speeds - not to mention the dangerous lack of a permanent hard shoulder.

I try and keep between 60 and 65mph on the motorway section of any trip I do. Allows passing of trucks and generally does not hold anyone up.

Driving at this speed (60 to 65mph), compared to 70 to 80mph gains a lot of range and can mean only one stop for fuel rather than two. I doubt that you can drive far and keep at least 70mph on any UK motorway. I used to drive up the M5/M6/M69 from Gloucester to Liecester and back twice every Friday and Sunday evening. The traffic was so bad it was quicker to drive up the A46 and stick to around 50 to 60mph. My average speed for the trips were quicker on the A road than the motorway.

I have been driving EVs for about 5 year now. You learn to slow down and relax when driving. I find it much less stressful driving EVs than I ever did in an ICE.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Agree. I’ve stuck to 60mph on motorways with this car but once I’ve got a charge and confidence it’ll get me home I’ll drive faster.

Im totally with you that the public are not going to mass adopt EVs if the advice and perception is “they are slow and every one drives slowly in them”. Has to perform as a well as an ICE car or better.

Personally I drive mine like I drove my old car, don’t get concerned about economy, charge speeds etc etc. Just drive it normally and recharge as I need to so far.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Personally I drive mine like I drove my old car, don’t get concerned about economy, charge speeds etc etc. Just drive it normally and recharge as I need to so far.
My current car has much better economy than my previous one, so I am happy to drive it "enthusiastically" on occasion rather than always try and optimise for range. I expect I will do the same with the MG, the cost of the electricity vs fuel will mean I won't care too much about the cost (and on some days I will be paid to drive it because grid price is negative!), other times I will want to get a good range for the convenience of not having to stop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll join in on this one. My daily commute is a 30 mile round trip consisting of 1/3 built up and sharp bends (30 & 50mph), 1/3 single carriageway (60mph), 1/3 dual carriageway (70mph). All pretty flat. Of course as I'm commuting I don't often hit those speeds for any significant length of time and there's a huge difference in traffic on a day to day basis.

I've had the car for 3 weeks and having such a short round trip means I have no concerns about range, and I've basically driven it how I would an ICE e.g. I cane it every so often, some late braking, heated seats when it's cold, demisters on when the windows are steamed, keep it toasty in the cabin etc.

For the last 3 weeks I've averaged 2.9mi/kWh. Compare this with my previous diesel
(A-Class 180d)
when I was getting about 53 mpg. It's been pretty cold and wet the last few weeks so the heating has been constantly on. Once I get myself onto Octopus Go, that equates to 1.7p/mi. I'm happy enough with that. It'll be interesting to see how this changes in the summer when I'll have the AC on.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
I think you should start at 90% charge to allow for regen.
Isn't that presuming your going to be slowing hard right at the start of your journey? Whereas when planning a long trip you drive at your most ginger at the start and speed up as the range comes to you.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
A data point from a bygone EV age: My 2012 i-MiEV averages 6 or 7 miles/kWh. Of course, it's much lighter, with a smaller frontal area and skinny tyres:
How big is the pack? 17kWh? I got 80miles in one once.... I thought I had done pretty well but that would only be 4.7mpkWh

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
A data point from a bygone EV age: My 2012 i-MiEV averages 6 or 7 miles/kWh. Of course, it's much lighter, with a smaller frontal area and skinny tyres:

View attachment 128195
I very very nearly bought one of these in 2013. Garage run around, so was going for only £12k!! and I'd just got my pension payout. The test drive had me whooping with joy. SWMBO put the kibosh on it with worrying about how long the batteries would last and how much they would cost. No-one knew. I even contacted Nissan CS and they told me they didn't have enough data yet. When I was quoted £8k SWMBO said no way. I wish I could go back to me in 2013 and tell him what I know now. :(

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I think you should start at 90% charge to allow for regen.
Why? Driving will always take more out of the battery than regen can put back in (good regen returns about 30%). Unless you start at the top of a hill.

Reactions: Nickel and Neilew

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I always drove my ice’s at 60-65mph because my fuel bill was so large At 25-30,000 miles a year, that I saved a fortune on fuel. So I drive my EV at similar speeds.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
Nice, can that thing even do 70? I would poop myself on a busy motorway in it as well. Maybe we should all just get Twizzys and be done with it.

I did 70 in one, didn't push it further though they are a bit skittish in cross winds, as you can imagine quite tall for its narrow width. Seats were terrible, no under thigh (literally, the seat finished just barely after your ass). I semi-considered one but bought a Zoe because it was more sensibly shaped, space, had better real range etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why? Driving will always take more out of the battery than regen can put back in (good regen returns about 30%). Unless you start at the top of a hill.
I'm equally baffled by the idea that regen doesn't work if the battery is full. Which I've seen several times. Is there some battery chemistry issue I don't understand?

Unless Elon has started selling a new model - the Tesla PM (Perpetual Motion), of course. ?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I'm equally baffled by the idea that regen doesn't work if the battery is full. Which I've seen several times. Is there some battery chemistry issue I don't understand?

Unless Elon has started selling a new model - the Tesla PM (Perpetual Motion), of course.
It does depend on the EV but the Golf and Leaf don't have regen when the battery is fully charged. Doesn't last long before it slowly starts to allow some, but it takes a few miles before there's full regen.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts