Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW, and without regard to my usual efficiency 'techniques', I have been putting on a lot of 'conventional' motorway miles in the last few weeks. Almost all of it in the low single digit Celsius range with heating set to 16C and sucking ~0.5kW (it is actually much warmer than it sounds, in the Soul it keeps the heater on quite effectively when the outside temp is <10C, no need for a coat, without blasting hot air).

The mileage efficiency is pretty consistent;
60~65mph (target around 62mph indicated) = ~3.8mi/kWh
65~70mph (target around 68mph indicated) = 3.1~3.2mi/kWh
70~75mph (target around 72mph indicated) = ~2.9mi/kWh

(Indicated speeds are very close to actual speeds in the Soul, according to GPS-indicated speeds.)

There's no escaping the laws of physics, even if you have a well-trained right foot for hypermiling. 5mi/kWh is the stuff of sub 55mph runs (albeit taking advantage of terrain-assisted speed/efficiency to keep the average high, if possible).

From this I deduce the optimum pattern and timing of charge points, with due regard to back-up options. Stops usually have to be timed to allow for a margin to the next fall-back position anyway, so there is usually a time-benefit in pushing on a bit quicker to an earlier charger, recognising that the car will charge quicker than it uses up 'excess' power at higher speeds, so you gain more time from driving swiftly and a bit more charging than easing off and charging less.

·
Registered
924 Posts
One thing you can't ignore on any car is drag and the virtual thickening of air as speed increases.
Opposite to ICE, electric motors efficiency doesn't decrease as sharply. But aerodynamics still have an important role.
One other important influence is the tyres, I have changed mine recently and due to personal circumstances I opted for a CB rating instead the original AA. this has resulted in a loss of 20% range.
Regarding the heating system, when you start the heating from ambient temp the heater will use between 3 to 5kw for some time before reducing the usage below 1kw. the low usage will then occurs when the heating system is kept on and internal temperature stays unchanged.

·
Registered
924 Posts
One thing you can't ignore on any car is drag and the virtual thickening of air as speed increases.
Opposite to ICE, electric motors efficiency doesn't decrease as sharply. But aerodynamics still have an important role.
One other important influence is the tyres, I have changed mine recently and due to personal circumstances I opted for a CB rating instead the original AA. this has resulted in a loss of 20% range.
Regarding the heating system, when you start the heating from ambient temp the heater will use between 3 to 5kw for some time before reducing the usage below 1kw. the low usage will then occurs when the heating system is kept on and internal temperature stays unchanged.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Interestingly I find my speedo is quite inaccurate, it is reads 2-3 mph higher at 30.

If I maintain an indicated 30 mph it really pisses off the binary throttle, tailgating, brigade of mindless f***wits that so pollute our roads, you know the type pillocks that can't drive in the dark but can go too fast in well lit areas so do 41 mph everywhere!

Hence I tend to drive at a indicated 32 MPH in 30 zones to avoid those oh so common situations where dick brain behind simply has to overtake which puts everyone, pedestrians included at risk in doing so.

My speedo is around 5 mph higher at 70 assuming my GPS is accurate.

·
23,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do your figures line up with the consumption figures on this page ?

Kia Soul EV
"For example: sustaining high speeds in cold weather could result in a range of around 75 mi." Sounds a high energy consumption, I think that's probably for closer to 130kph.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just to revive old thread.
Yesterday I did a run along M8 in Eire from J3 to J8 at true 120 kph (~75 mph), dry, temp. around 20C. AC set to 21C as very sunny. Altitude difference of 31 meters over 51kms (climbed). Result: 2.8 mpkWh

·
23,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more data the merrier! Sounds realistic to me, pretty much what I get too.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hence I tend to drive at a indicated 32 MPH in 30 zones to avoid those oh so common situations
Please continue to do so!

I don't know about those other people you were referencing, they do sound like a thoroughly despicable type, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who likes to travel at speeds up to and including the posted limit where appropriate, and quickly gets tired of following someone going consistently slower than that, even by a few mph. Certainly I assume these are people who do not know by how much their speedo is over-reading. If they did know, but insisted on keeping to indicated speeds, that's just bloody-minded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts