Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my e-208 GT at the back end of November, but I am finding I'm getting no where near the expected range of 217 miles. In fairness I never expected to get anywhere this, but maybe expected at least 160/170? In real world I am getting around 70/80 miles from a full charge. This is driving in eco (freezing my b***s off), no phone plugged in, using the D/B mode properly, easy on the acceleration etc etc. This morning I drove 1.6 miles (with heater on this time as it was frosty) and it took 13 miles range off me.

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the car?

I've had it in with the local peugeot dealer (Sherwoods Durham), who were less than useless. They told me that there was nothing wrong with the car in particular, but there is something wrong with ALL the e-208's and peugeot would be releasing an update early 2022. So in short, I had to put up with it and sit tight.

I've also been on to the Leasing company I got the car from and they are investigating it and trying to get an answer from Peugeot, but nothing as yet.

I understand the colder weather and driving styles can affect range, but 70/80 miles form a full charge cant be right can it? What real-world range should I be expecting??

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,080 Posts
Welcome!

The only way to resolve this is to understand your battery capacity, equivalent of fuel tank size. Your car has a battery which can hold 50kWh of energy - of this, you can access about 45kWh, with the rest being held to protect the battery from damage at very high or very low charge states. You need to look at your consumption of energy when driving to see what's going on. This will be reported on the dash as either miles per kWh, or kWh per 100 miles.

One of two things is happening - either, you're getting all the energy out of the battery and using it with very high driving consumption (short journeys, lots of heating, etc) - or, you have a battery fault and you're not getting the full 45kWh of energy out (very, very unlikely but possible).

So - what's your long term reported driving efficiency? - this will help us understand the root cause. If there's suspicion of a battery problem, a longer journey from full to empty battery and recording the energy consumption will definitely give you evidence as to what's going on.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,478 Posts
Received my e-208 GT at the back end of November, but I am finding I'm getting no where near the expected range of 217 miles. In fairness I never expected to get anywhere this, but maybe expected at least 160/170? In real world I am getting around 70/80 miles from a full charge. This is driving in eco (freezing my b***s off), no phone plugged in, using the D/B mode properly, easy on the acceleration etc etc. This morning I drove 1.6 miles (with heater on this time as it was frosty) and it took 13 miles range off me.

I've had it in with the local peugeot dealer (Sherwoods Durham), who were less than useless. They told me that there was nothing wrong with the car in particular, but there is something wrong with ALL the e-208's and peugeot would be releasing an update early 2022. So in short, I had to put up with it and sit tight.

I've also been on to the Leasing company I got the car from and they are investigating it and trying to get an answer from Peugeot, but nothing as yet.

I understand the colder weather and driving styles can affect range, but 70/80 miles form a full charge cant be right can it? What real-world range should I be expecting??
I’m not that familiar with the e-208, but using the consumption figures from a short drive and extrapolating that to the whole battery back to arrive at a total range figure isn’t accurate.

Over a longer journey and once the battery was warmed up, it would settle to a more sensible consumption.

I have read that the e-208/Corsa-e do have erratic range prediction, but watch the battery % to give you a better idea. You fill the battery with energy, not miles.

·
Registered
eNiro 4, Zoe 135 GT RC
580 Posts
Ditto what @Tooks said

IF , and it is a big IF the actual range, ( the distance you can actually drive as opposed to the “guess” that the car is giving you…..is as low as 70 miles, then something is wrong

It would help to get a better view, and maybe change your frame of mind, if you ignore the GOM ( range predictor/guesser) and work on how far you have actually gone, and what level of battery is left. Then do a calc in your head

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info all, I'll have a dig around in the system and see if I can find mile p/kwh and driving efficiency, however when I've looked previously I couldn't find a figure for either battery percentage or remaining kwh, only estimated miles remaining which is clearly not great at guessing

I have a drive of around 70 miles today and it should be fully charged when I set off, so I will monitor how many actual miles I drive and hopefully compare it to the remaining kwh or battery percentage if I can find it in the system.

·
Registered
eNiro 4, Zoe 135 GT RC
580 Posts
Thanks for the info all, I'll have a dig around in the system and see if I can find mile p/kwh and driving efficiency, however when I've looked previously I couldn't find a figure for either battery percentage or remaining kwh, only estimated miles remaining which is clearly not great at guessing

I have a drive of around 70 miles today and it should be fully charged when I set off, so I will monitor how many actual miles I drive and hopefully compare it to the remaining kwh or battery percentage if I can find it in the system.
Let us know

·
Registered
2021 MINI Cooper SE (Level 2)
81 Posts
Sherwoods are hopeless imo and I’d recommend sticking with a different dealer in future for servicing or choosing your next car if you can.

All of the cars made by PSA (Peugeot/Citroen/DS/Vauxhall) have this same issue. For some reason their cars are horribly inefficient in the winter months. All EVs lose range in the cold, wet and windy conditions but these are especially poor, slashing your range by about half.

Ignore the range that the car is guessing, try to preheat when plugged in, and accept that things will be even worse if you do lots of short journeys or drive at high speeds. Note also that usage doesn’t seem to be linear. Certain parts of the battery will seem to be used up faster than others.

You should be able to get a little better than what you’re claiming right now, but honestly there’s not too much you can do but wait for it to warm up a bit. In summer you should easily be able to double this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove 23 miles in my 2022 mokka-e a few days ago and used 16% of the battery. The return journey used 13%, no significant change in driving style. Temperature about 5degrees C and heating via seats and stearing wheel. Perhaps these figures will provide some comparative measures for your assessment of where your car performs.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-E 2022
47 Posts
70 seems extraordinarily low. The earlier stellantis group cars are known to be inefficient in winter hence they’ve done a rework of the heat pump system in December. However I reckon the sentiment already expressed here is true; the miles remaining meter isn’t known as a guess-o-meter for nothing.

Ive yet to receive my own stellantis EV but have some experience with a 21 plate Mokka. It has the consumption figures in a user configurable mode on the digital display. Im sure the Peugeot will have similar. Once you’ve got your miles per kWh you can do the math up to 45 usable kWh to give you an approximate real range with an eye on the battery meter.

Preheat also makes a big difference. The Mokka was managing about 150 miles indicated (probably more likely 130 real world) on 30-50mph commuting in eco mode with regen on and preheating, but that was about a week ago where it was about 5 degrees not below zero. EDIT: the owner does also drive like miss daisy. ;)

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,005 Posts
Short runs in cold weather use far more energy than anything else. 200 mile range is basically warm weather and flat and not that fast. The range meter also defaults to this fictitious range on start up which doesn't help.

It's about normal. I'd think consumption in a petrol or diesel would also be horrific under the same very short journey patterns.

70 mile trip should show you what more normal consumption is like.

The corsa E I had was about 120 miles in winter but that was with a regular 55 mile round trip. On short runs it would be even worse. I never bothered with Eco. Just had it in normal and set it to a comfortable temperature. Heated seat was always on low. Being miserably cold isn't worth the effort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info. In fairness I've found that the consumption is also just as bad longer range, I've travelled 50/60 mile round trips with a full charge and come back to having to charge it again. There is probably a little range anxiety in there too and it doesn't help that my home charger isn't yet fitted (waiting for an install date) so I'm nervously hanging around service stations, of which there is 1 close by with 1 charge point.

I've had a play about in the infotainment system and have managed to get my m/pkwh on the dash, however can not find a "remaining kwh" or "battery percentage" level, I just have the remaining estimated miles and the traditional fuel tank type gauge. Found an older thread (below) which indicates this lack of info display has been an issue for others too. Seems like I have a display of the car with 8 battery cells, each 12.5%, probably my best tool

I'll do the drive today and record what I can

Thanks again all

A link to the thread No battery percentage for e-208...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Jumped in my car yeserday eve in frost and switched everything on Font screen blower and electric defrost, rear screen, cabin heat max and seats on max and set off when i could see. At 1 mile i had done 0.9mls/kwh !! (a record for me) but got home,35mls having done 4mls/kwh. At this time of yr length of journey has huge effect

·
Registered
2020 Peugeot e208 GT
11 Posts
I've had my e208 GT since October and can confirm that (a) the cold weather does have a significant impact (I now garage my car overnight which I hadn't planned to do), and (b) although it takes a while, you do start to look more at the %ge utilization of battery dial (albeit not numbered) rather than the rather erratic "range".

I have seen my 100% charged range as high as 205 miles back in November when the weather was mild. I've seen it as low as 135 miles on 100% charged on a freezing morning when it was on the drive all night.

By garaging overnight (not that my garage is particularly warm - but it does stop the frost) it's now typically around 160 miles in the morning when fully charged. I'm hoping that come spring it will go back to the 200 ish range.

Last week I had a range of 65 miles showing when I set off on a 35 mile round trip. During the trip (some on the motorway) the range dropped down to 30 miles even before I got to my destination - but by the time I got home it was showing 35 miles 🤷‍♂️

Either way - if you really are only getting 70 miles from a 100% charge then you have an issue I would say.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
544 Posts
It is important to know that the first 5-10 minutes of driving in cold weather will use A LOT more energy than the rest of the drive - that is because the car is bringing the battery up to the best operating temperature and you are (presumably) warming the cabin to a decent temp as well. If your total drive is only 10-15 minutes you will see a significant impact on range in the winter, since most of your drive is at that high consumption. However, if you go on a longer drive you should see a big range increase since it is really only the first 5-10 minutes where the efficiency is crap. For example, my Zoe can easily drive 130-140 miles in one long winter drive, but if I am using it mostly for short (18-minute) drives to and from work where half of my drive is "warming up" I might not even hit 110 miles on that charge. My other EV (ID.4) is notoriously bad with this - if the battery is under 8 C it turns on a 5 kW battery heater until the batteries reach 13 C... During one very cold week when I was driving the ID.4 to work instead of the Zoe, I probably would have been lucky to even hit 150 miles on a full charge, even though I can generally count on 200+ miles even at motorway speeds in the winter! Lots of short trips in the cold can really hammer your range, which is not usually a problem if you charge at home, but it something to be aware of!

·
Registered
e208 with ID3 Pro S Tour ordered
395 Posts

We have an e208. Your range will depend on the type of driving you do but repeated cold starts will drain the range. I did an experiment last week. One day I preheated the car whilst it was charging from the house. On the e208 this also pre heats the battery. Important point. The car gave 3.4 miles for each kW over a 55 mile journey averaging 60mph (mix of dual carriageway and motorway). Temp was 4 or 5 degrees C. Next day, short journey of 6 miles with no pre heating and the car used 10% of available charge in those 6 miles. Sound familiar? The cost to the battery of heating the cabin to 21 degrees and warming the battery which takes even more power. Car returned 2.1 miles/kW over those 6 miles. Had I continued 55 miles the miles per kW would have improved but instead, I stopped and took Mr Dog walkies and then repeated the cold start and used another 10% of battery on the way home. I drive with the heating on 21 degrees and the second day's driving it was even warmer.

If you can, conduct the same experiment. Remember the car must be drawing power from the house when you turn on heating remotely and leave for 20 mins. It's a good way of boosting range for important journeys and for short journeys it doesn't matter so much as you can charge once home I presume?

FYI I am getting about 120 to 130 miles at 70mph out of the 50kW (45 usable) battery. So 3.4 miles/kW x 45 = 153 full to empty which sounds about right. Repeated cold starts will kill that range though. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,056 Posts
Low efficiency for short journeys is a common issue. Drove our e-Niro about 80 miles the other day. Didn't indicate better than about 2.2miles/kWh for the first few miles. By the time I got home the average was 4. The e208 won't reach this because of the mentioned low winter efficiency but I'd expect you should be able to get better than 3 miles/kWh which is approx 135 miles range.

·
Registered
e208 with ID3 Pro S Tour ordered
395 Posts
Low efficiency for short journeys is a common issue. Drove our e-Niro about 80 miles the other day. Didn't indicate better than about 2.2miles/kWh for the first few miles. By the time I got home the average was 4. The e208 won't reach this because of the mentioned low winter efficiency but I'd expect you should be able to get better than 3 miles/kWh which is approx 135 miles range.
Interestingly, according to the EV Database figures the winter highway efficiency for the e Niro is 2.5 miles/kWh (400 wh/mi) vs the e208 2.7 miles/kWh (375 wh/mi) and I would have expected this as the e208 is small with less frontal mass to cause drag and both are not purpose designed EVs. What makes the difference is 68kW of battery vs 45kW. The e208 doesn't suffer from any worse efficiency than any other EV adapted from an ICE design. Realistic winter figures should be covered as part of the sales process I think the issue is it hasn't been covered at all quite often.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts