Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
IONIQForum.com- The Largest Hyundai IONIQ Forum And Community!

It's hard looking for your first EV isn't it?

I'm still quite away from being able to afford a Tesla but the Ioniq is well within reach. If it was available in Iron Grey I would have bought by now for sure...

Had some fun with @Hyundai_UK on twitter and the last response was: "Hi Phil, if Iron Grey becomes available, we will certainly communicate this in a timely manner. Thank you." - I was just trying to get them to respond to a Tweet with a "No." but they didn't. Anyhoo...

Can we have some real world ranges that people have achieved? In James' and Kate's video:

(

@ 10:10 he says "The battery has dropped 24% after doing 55 miles; that's what we get in our Tesla".

Hyundai are saying 174m range - 55 miles of 24% of the battery means over 200 miles.

What's the truth?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you taken a look at this thread Hyundai IONIQ Electric Range

Range seems to vary from 100 miles all the way up to 200 miles, bjorn nyland on youtube has a extensive review on the car worth looking at
Seen them both - about 5 times... This is what's stopped me going into another ICE...

And

I've seen the range from 120-200! Want to know what's real...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
It's really hard to judge what the actual range is from other people's reports. Variable driving style, terrain and weather conditions don't make for a great controlled experiment. Anecdotally it seems a lot better than the 30kWh Leaf but I would want an extended test drive before I actually bought one.

I would like somebody to set the cruise control at 70mph on an empty motorway and see how far they get before needing to charge.

·
Hyundai Ioniq BEV
78 Posts
It's hard looking for your first EV isn't it?

I'm still quite away from being able to afford a Tesla but the Ioniq is well within reach. If it was available in Iron Grey I would have bought by now for sure...

Had some fun with @Hyundai_UK on twitter and the last response was: "Hi Phil, if Iron Grey becomes available, we will certainly communicate this in a timely manner. Thank you." - I was just trying to get them to respond to a Tweet with a "No." but they didn't. Anyhoo...

Can we have some real world ranges that people have achieved? In Jame's and Kate's video:

(

@ 10:10 he says "The battery has dropped 24% after doing 55 miles; that's what we get in our Tesla".

Hyundai are saying 174m range - 55 miles of 24% of the battery means over 200 miles.

What's the truth?
I've now got 1700 miles on my ioniq and the truth is driven reasonably (stick to the speed limits and don't floor it off the lights) I can guarantee 120 miles in any conditions the UK winter had thrown at me on any roads. That includes heating the cabin to 22 deg and assumes continuous driving with one or maybe two stops, Short multiple trips can reduce that range considerably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's really hard to judge what the actual range is from other people's reports. Variable driving style, terrain and weather conditions don't make for a great controlled experiment. Anecdotally it seems a lot better than the 30kWh but I would want an extended test drive before I actually bought one.

I would like somebody to set the cruise control at 70mph on an empty motorway and see how far they get before needing to charge.
Here's something from this thread: Hyundai IONIQ Electric Range

Cruise set to 70mph - total range 110 miles
Cruise set to 60mph - total range 125 miles
Cruise set to 55mph - total range 130 miles

·
Hyundai Ioniq BEV
78 Posts
Here's something from this thread: Hyundai IONIQ Electric Range

Cruise set to 70mph - total range 110 miles
Cruise set to 60mph - total range 125 miles
Cruise set to 55mph - total range 130 miles
From my experience I'd say that's not far off. I did a return trip from Northampton to high Wycombe on Friday 115 miles and arrived home with 9% battery remaining 11 miles range and average power usage of 4.6 miles/kW

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to Evan Halshaw in Leeds for loaning me the Ioniq for 24 hours. The Ioniq is an amazing car, really well finished inside, brilliantly equipped and really good fun to drive; I love it!

Picked up at 8:30am from Leeds at 88% and drove to Darlington hospital. Three charges of 32 minutes on EH giving 60, 63 and 66 miles of range means it's not a viable option for me. £6 per charge was fine too; for the convenience.

Are there no DC CCS chargers on EH that will give me 100 miles (80%) of promised charge?

The car is amazingly good over the Outlander PHEV, Leaf. I really want one but charging on AC to get 60 mile hops doesn't work for me... I'm devastated, I was ready to sign!

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Thanks to Evan Halshaw in Leeds for loaning me the Ioniq for 24 hours. The Ioniq is an amazing car, really well finished inside, brilliantly equipped and really good fun to drive; I love it!

Picked up at 8:30am from Leeds at 88% and drove to Darlington hospital. Three charges of 32 minutes on EH giving 60, 63 and 66 miles of range means it's not a viable option for me. £6 per charge was fine too; for the convenience.

Are there no DC CCS chargers on EH that will give me 100 miles (80%) of promised charge?

The car is amazingly good over the Outlander PHEV, Leaf. I really want one but charging on AC to get 60 mile hops doesn't work for me... I'm devastated, I was ready to sign!
Interesting to hear this. Unfortunately EH chargers rarely work at full speed. This is a shame especially as they charge for time. They need to update these dinosaurs and look at the new european ones. They also need to rethink their charging structure. Rurmours are that they are considering their options on the latter.

60 odd miles is pretty bad especially when you factor in how efficient the Ioniq is. What was your SOC on arrival? What was your average WH/mile? The numbers mean nothing if you were "booting it" and only getting 3kwh/mile etc.

·
Hyundai Ioniq BEV
78 Posts
Interesting to hear this. Unfortunately EH chargers rarely work at full speed. This is a shame especially as they charge for time. They need to update these dinosaurs and look at the new european ones. They also need to rethink their charging structure. Rurmours are that they are considering their options on the latter.

60 odd miles is pretty bad especially when you factor in how efficient the Ioniq is. What was your SOC on arrival? What was your average WH/mile? The numbers mean nothing if you were "booting it" and only getting 3kwh/mile etc.
This also my experience of EH. Best I have achieved was 18 kWh in 32 min, this was charging from 10% to 75%, typical charge rate from the DBT chargers appears to be 35kW. This is particularly disappointing as the Ioniq is designed to accept 100kW charging via CCS and charge to 94% which means it should easily be capable of adding 100 miles in around 20 mins if the equipment was available in the U.K.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hi Peter, I think the charging issue was related to the level I chagrged from.

First hop was southbound at Scotch Corner. There was 5% remaining and it charged to 63 miles of range.

Second hop was at Ferrybridge service, near home, SOC was 0%. Two miles a from the services it had 2% and half a mile later in droppped to "---". I got 60 miles of range from there.

Last hop was at 6am Tuesday at Ferrybridge When she charged from 34% to 66 miles of range.

It was very sad to learn that the UK charging infrastructure currently means I can't go BEV.

I'm now off to a meeting in Norwich some 3.5 hours away from Wakefield. If Peterborough had a 100kW DC CCS I could do this trip in a BEV.

I seemed to be getting 3.5mpkWH.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
EV's don't suit everyone at the moment as they are let down by the charging infrastructure. I couldn't really have anything over than the Tesla for my work without spending an extraordinary amount of time/planning. Hopefully this will change. Chargemaster are already looking into the faster 100Kw units. I know people hate them but I quite like their charging model. £7.85 per month and 9p/KwH. Unfortunately there aren't many rapid chargers around unless you live/work around Milton Keynes.

Can I presume at 3.5Miles per KwH you were doing the speed limit or thereabouts?

·
Registered
186 Posts
This seems a shame as other than the initial charge level the Ioniq would perform worse than my Leaf on a long journey. I have done several road trips from Essex to Glasgow and this was only possible due to being able to put in more than 60 miles per charge.

·
Hyundai Ioniq BEV
78 Posts
This seems a shame as other than the initial charge level the Ioniq would perform worse than my Leaf on a long journey. I have done several road trips from Essex to Glasgow and this was only possible due to being able to put in more than 60 miles per charge.
Im not sure that is necessary true for all ioniq drivers. Phil said he was achieving only 3.5 miles/kWh this seems low to me. My return trip from Northampton to London yesterday on the M1 driving at the speed limit gave me 4.7 miles/kWh that would give another @ 15 miles on a 50% charge

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Phil Atkinson how did you manage to get a 24 hour test drive, i'm struggling to find a dealer who will let me have one for 24 hours, but need to see if the car works for my usage profile

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Phil Atkinson how did you manage to get a 24 hour test drive, i'm struggling to find a dealer who will let me have one for 24 hours, but need to see if the car works for my usage profile
Hi 5GB,

Alex at the garage arranged it. They were more than helpful. I can share his contact details if Leeds is any good to you?

I've been to Norwich today. 154 miles with a stop for breakfast; not a charger in sight!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts