Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to hear what real world range others are getting with Zoe now that the weather is a little warmer. I'm regularly getting more than 100 miles from a full charge.

For example, I've just left mine to charge at the station with 16% remaining having done 99.4 miles. Zoe says still 15 miles range left, so comfortably getting 110+ miles now. This is 5.25mpkWh from steady, not-trying-too-hard driving (although not using much dual carriageway either).

And is Zoe better than the Leaf, even with the smaller battery? I guess Zoe's smaller size helps a lot.

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
ZOE definitely seems to be getting better range than the 2nd gen LEAF by all accounts I've seen and heard on here. I know @Eunicholas was doing well before his problems struck hard.
Makes sense, Zoe has the same CDa as the Leaf, but smaller frontal area, slightly lower weight and a motor that's less efficient at in town speeds but slightly more efficient at highway speeds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is so weird.

I have a Zoe and I've done a few long-distance (180mile legs) drives now, and I don't seem to be able to get more than 70 miles at a push (very careful driving).

Mainly, the Zoe is used to bomb around Bristol. Lots of stop-start during the day not in eco mode.

I've never actually run the Zoe down flat to see how realistic the range predictor is, but it seems to be pretty accurate.

Why would I be getting such poor range compared to you guys?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Kevin. That's good info. The strange thing is that I met another Zoe driver yesterday who does mainly motorway miles on very similar routes to the ones I've done recently, but he routinely gets upwards of 100miles actual range. That's quite a significant difference!
I wonder if it's my trip computer being quite pessimistic based on my (majority) city in-traffic driving? The odd thing with that is that my actual percentage battery usually tallies with the predicted range.
Each segment of my 8-part battery meter usually gives me about 8 miles of range, at 60mph continuous motorway driving.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My Zoe is averaging 88 miles from a charge recently, although with the warmer weather the average MPkWh is creeping up (currently at 4.30MPkWh). Travelling is mostly 80-90% motorway (and not particularily flat either if anyone is familiar with M1 Jnc's 21-23). I would love to be getting 100 miles plus, but with my commute I dont think that is going to happen.

Most I have had is 89.4 miles from a charge and upon plugging is the dash showedf 5% charge left although it had gone to - - -

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think that's it then. I should be getting 80-90 miles if I drive carefully on the motorway, but the trip computer is too used to my majority in-city bombing.around and keeps predicting based on that...
Have I got the nerve to try running it right down, though ;-)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Craig, try resetting your computer - keep the drivers door open, push down and hold the accelerator, break and then hold down the down arrow on the right stalk. Mine showed 124 miles after this but after using the car for that charge and recharging has gone back to my normal ranges. Worth a try but be careful as the battery segment use will be unfamiliar to you for that charge.

As a footnote, I travel on the motorway in Eco mode.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK. So I reset the computer. I got 111 miles. Amazing!

I then took a trip from Bristol to Street (just outside Glastonbury) at normal speed (maybe a little quicker), fast take off at lights, with air con on full and eco off. That's about 50-55 miles, round trip.

The range predictor dropped a bit, but not significantly.

When I got back to Bristol, I plugged in and had 50% range left with a predicted range of 55 miles.

Now, I'm not the type to believe in magic, the supernatural, spooks, spectors or ghosts - but I think you've magiced an extra 40 miles range into my car.

And for that, I thank you ;-)

Either that, or the range predictor is really precise and had learnt my usual in-town driving style over the few months I've had the car (compounded by the colder weather until recently) to give very pessimistic estimates.

To be honest, I'm still not convinced. I remember looking at the actual percentage battery life left after long journeys before, and I was being predicted to have 5 miles left after a 60 mile journey with a percentage battery life that seemed to be in the right ball-park (10ish percent). I'm assuming the percentage battery life is absolute and wouldn't be affected by a trip computer reset.

I have a longer trip coming up this weekend (100 miles from Bristol to South Devon). Mainly motorway. So I'll do a reset and report back after that. I'll also see what the range predictor recons after this week's worth of in-town driving.

Still confused! :confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Craig, your reset gave you 13 miles less than mine. That may be down to the age of the car perhaps, mine was picked up new on 1st sept 2013.

I would not do this kind of reset often as I think you will end up being stranded. It did seem amazing to me but will settle after a charge or two, just hoped it would give you a better prediction. Your last 150 miles is always part of the predicted miles and on your second charge after the reset will be taken into account.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A week after my first post and without any reset I'm up to 5.5 mpkWh. After today's full charge my predicted range is 121miles. I think this is down to the warmer weather.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My year old Zoe with 800 miles on only gives 81 mile range at 100% and I can't seem to make this reset work - all it does is zero my trip miles - can anyone guide me through the correct procedure please. Thanks.andy

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
When the car is charged to 100%, do this push both peddles down and hold them, and push down on the arrow on the right stick, hold them down till the range meter flashis and shows you the real range in your battery, you should see 124/125 miles. The zoe is designed to hide a lot of its range so you never run flat. Never do the reset when the car is not 100% Charged.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Thanks Eunicholas this reset was posted above by Appmacguy with no mention of 100% charge but said door must be open. I have just tried it again and it resets trip mileage but makes no odds to range no matter how long I keep button pressed. Shows 78 mile range now - maybe I should be brave and run it flat and see how far I really go or ask Renault for new battery under the 75% guarantee ?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Okay I have now done the reset on the r-link with both pedals down , motor off , driver's door open , 100% charge and it now shows 125 mile range. Whoopee - this is big milestone for me as could get me to London and back. I think I will do a test and drive up and down M2 till it runs out that way I would never be more than 15 miles from a charge point for recovery truck. Any journo's interested ?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,509 Posts
Funnily enough that is what I have, well I carry a wee engine and generator in the front, never have to worry about chargers being out of action and just look on them as a free benefit, even if it does take me 4 hours to charge but hey ho.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Following on from this thread my predicted range has now dropped again after the reset on the Zoe and I haven't had the balls to run it right flat to test range. Closest I got was zero miles left and it carried on another 2 miles to charge point. Anyone run out completely yet ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts