Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you- how do I check the BMS upgrade?
Hi Kirsty, I just went into my local Nissan dealer and asked them to do a (free) 100 point check and to check whether the updates had been done.
I mentioned the BMS upgrade in particular and also that it should increase the displayed SOH and range, so that they knew what to look for.
I can't find the reference No. for this, but it's called "LI-ION Battery Controller" upgrade on my paperwork.
I think I've seen a ref No. somewhere else on this site so someone may be able to help with that.
It should give about a 4% increase in SOH (mine did).

·
Registered
91 Posts
How does a simple question lead into such an open debate! :) Feel sorry for @Kirsty H - hope we haven't scared you...

The bottom line is that with an EV, the range is more notifiable than in an ICE - hence all the discussions. All the feedback about driving slower, don't use cruise control etc etc. is also applicable for ICE cars, but the fact of the matter is the effect is less noticeable.

My suggestions are to simply drive the car and enjoy it. If you are forever worrying about "should i use cruise control"?, should I do this, that or the other, we will all end up paranoid and mis the true understanding of why we chose an EV - "low cost motoring and to help the environment". If these are all concerns of yours then simples - go back to an ICE. And yes, the cold, wet winter DOES also affect the range of an ICE as much as it does affect an EV.

Everyones driving experience is different and there isn't a real right or wrong answer. If you have charging available, does it really make a difference if you consume a little more energy? No - even ICE cars have to be filled up from time to time :)

Oh, and with LeafSpy - Although I have it, I don't always rely on it. Again paranoia sets in. It has been proven that EVs are very robust and although the range goes down as the car ages (and battery life decreases), the real effect isn't that great.

I for one, now find driving more relaxing and if the journey takes slightly longer, then so be it - I just plan accordingly.

Happy driving everyone!

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
It's been said many times and is still true despite there being more chargers around.

" There is no such thing as range anxiety - just charger anxiety"

If everyone could utterly rely on being able to charge when required then they would not be concerned other than just planning such stops.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Probably depends on how out of balance the cells are, but if I set it to charge to 100% it says that the time to full charge is about an hour longer than I calculate it should be - by my calculation from not very much to 100% should take about 5.5 hours, but the display (if asked) says about 6.5 hours, and if I go out to stop the charge between these times the left-hand blue light is still flashing, but having unplugged and switched on the %SOC displays 100%

I think cell balancing is done by shunting the higher voltage cells with a small resistor, which allows a small current to be put into the battery without overcharging the higher voltage cells, thus bringing up the lower voltage cells. The heat dissipated in these resistors will slightly warm up the battery pack, which in this cold weather may help to improve the range.

I try to charge to 100% at least once per week, on a night when I will be driving the following morning.
Thanks Dave, helpful as ever.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It's been said many times and is still true despite there being more chargers around.

" There is no such thing as range anxiety - just charger anxiety"

If everyone could utterly rely on being able to charge when required then they would not be concerned other than just planning such stops.
There are still some gaps in the Rapid charging network where the distance between Rapid charging points is such that in winter I would be worried about making the distance without having to annoy other motorists by using hypermileing techniques such as sitting at 40mph on a single carriageway road.

BEV drivers with Zap-Map are in the same situation as early ICE drivers with their yellow AA book with all the garages listed at the back.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I don't find availability of Rapids these days to be much of a problem. I've rarely had a route where Zap or ABRP couldn't identify suitable stops at places where the battery would be low enough to accept a decent rate of charge. But I still don't trust such recommendations because they cannot be relied upon to dispense electrons. So I have to stop much earlier so that plans B & C can be used if required. As I said, my problem isn't range anxiety but charger anxiety.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts