Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be taking two kids plus camping gear (which is mostly bulky but not stupidly heavy) on a longish trip next week. I’ll be starting fully charged (in a 4+).
I drive pretty conservatively and will be in Eco, using cruise etc.
What do you reckon my realistic range is?
TIA

·
Super Moderator
7,572 Posts
You’ll lose roughly 3 miles range per adult (or stuff that weighs the same as an adult) so long as it’s inside (not on a roof rack etc).

actual range, well it’s warmed up a bit, driven steady below 70mph shouldbe an easy 250 miles.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That’s really helpful. Will all be inside, my children weigh about 1 adult between them and the tent and other stuff probably 2 adults. Happy days. I’m only going 90 miles and can charge at a Tesco near the campsite before we come back. First long trip and I’m solo so it feels like a big responsibility to get my range maths right 😅

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,563 Posts
On motorways driving with just me vs with another adult and luggage in the car makes no difference at all. Clearly if you load it up then you’ll notice some impact but I did a 340 mile round trip on my own this week followed by 120 mile trip with someone else and some stuff. Exactly the same 4 mi/kWh. Suspect you might notice if you climb a lot of hills or stop start a lot. That’s where extra weight would have a more noticeable penalty. Basically in a car that weighs 1800kg adding an extra, maybe 200 if your family are large and camping gear heavy, isn’t that much as a proportion of the weight the car has to move anyway.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks everyone, we had a great trip. Niro is now full of muddy footprints, dried grass and a faint smell of campfire - definitely one of the family now 🤣. Driving him there and back was an absolute dream even though I’m totally new to all the tech. Adaptive cruise or whatever it’s called is bloomin’ fabulous!
Even on the drive home in cooler temps with heavy rain the range was never an issue. Used Eco mode and had the climate control set to 22deg Auto driver only which seemed to keep us all a comfy temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts