Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT Line S
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had some dreadful experiences today driving with HDA and cruise control.
It all seems to be related to the low sun and trees, I was driving west and back east on the M27 and A31.
Every time the road was tree lined the car behaved very oddly, the cruise kept stabbing the brakes on, a lot of times the ABS dashboard light came on, at one point all of the driver assists turned off (Cruise, HDA and lane keep). If you can imaging the shadows of the tree laying down a barcode pattern, driving over this caused the issues.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Unsurprising in these conditions with any vision system.

The short explanation is that lane assist cameras use edge detection and this is usually contrast based. If the road is full of barcodes it has no idea what’s a lane line and what is a shadow.

As for ACC, again if the vision is obscured by sun then it doesn’t know if the bottom of that bridge is a truck as it can’t see the rest of the object, and it does look a bit like the back of a truck, so best to brake just in case.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT Line S
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unsurprising in these conditions with any vision system.

The short explanation is that lane assist cameras use edge detection and this is usually contrast based. If the road is full of barcodes it has no idea what’s a lane line and what is a shadow.

As for ACC, again if the vision is obscured by sun then it doesn’t know if the bottom of that bridge is a truck as it can’t see the rest of the object, and it does look a bit like the back of a truck, so best to brake just in case.
I agree with all your points, I am also glad that it errs on the side of caution.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was driving through a long section of the M1 with a speed restriction of 60mph on the gantries with the active cruise set to 60mph. Most of the time it kept at 60mph or if the traffic slowed kept a safe distance before speeding back up to 60mph.

But a couple of times it indicated 70mph in the HUD speed sign (even though the gantries were still showing 60mph). I had to manually brake to slow back to 60 mph.

Reading the manual I expect this is something to do with the navigation-based smart cruise control (SCC) which supposedly uses road information from the navigation function while SCC is operating perhaps picking up some incorrect data.

Is there a good video guide to all the safety systems and what the icons mean as the manual is hard to consume!

There are multiple icons and word to get one’s head around which seem to be either green, white or flashing including
Lane safety icon
Steering wheel icon
Cruise icon and speed (yellow when approaching a speed camera)
HDA
Lane change assist

In the end I just wanted to switch it all off and drive the traditional way as I actually found all the pulling and adjusting and multiple flashing icons and words a bit stressful 😀

Reactions: J2T2

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
The OCR used in the speed limit detection is universally rubbish in every car I’ve tried it in tbh.

It’s always struck me as bizarre that you have to authorise increases in speed limit, but that deceleration for decreasing speed limits is autonomous. IMO it should require driver confirmation both ways.

In terms of learning how the systems work, manufacturers are terrible at driver education. I only have a decent grasp on it because I’ve literally built this stuff for sims.

Essentially if you don’t know how it works, and what it’s limitations are (and there are many that vary from system to system, although it is becoming more standardised thanks to NCAP’s safety assist tests) I’d switch them off.

Except lane departure avoidance. That stuff saves lives every day.

Reactions: J2T2 and WarwickBoy

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
The problem with the M1 section near Northampton is that the 60mph restriction signs get blocked by lorries on the nearside, and after so long and at set points the car resets to the Navigations Preset Speed Limit unless it sees the signs to confirm its still in a restriction.

Same as with the Variable Gantry signs, They are supposed to put the National Speed Limit one on at the end of restrictions so the car knows its ok to cancel the restriction and resume full speed limit, but they often forget and and the end of restriction is just met with a black sign, so the car is set that after a certain distance with no reduced limit showing on signs or overheads it assumes its back to the normal limit.

This is something they are going to need to sort out before they systems become compulsory in new cars from next year.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
791 Posts
The problem with the M1 section near Northampton is that the 60mph restriction signs get blocked by lorries on the nearside, and after so long and at set points the car resets to the Navigations Preset Speed Limit unless it sees the signs to confirm its still in a restriction.

Same as with the Variable Gantry signs, They are supposed to put the National Speed Limit one on at the end of restrictions so the car knows its ok to cancel the restriction and resume full speed limit, but they often forget and and the end of restriction is just met with a black sign, so the car is set that after a certain distance with no reduced limit showing on signs or overheads it assumes its back to the normal limit.

This is something they are going to need to sort out before they systems become compulsory in new cars from next year.
My last ICE, before I switched to EV, was a Peugeot 3008. It had a speed limit detection thingy, but it was used to just display on the dash / HUD, not linked to active cruise.

To say it was annoying on managed motorways is an understatement. It would read the gantry sign as 60, show that as the limit, and would switch back to 70 within 10 seconds if you had not passed another gantry confirming it was still 60. Utterly pointless.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
My last ICE, before I switched to EV, was a Peugeot 3008. It had a speed limit detection thingy, but it was used to just display on the dash / HUD, not linked to active cruise.

To say it was annoying on managed motorways is an understatement. It would read the gantry sign as 60, show that as the limit, and would switch back to 70 within 10 seconds if you had not passed another gantry confirming it was still 60. Utterly pointless.
The EV6 system works 2 ways

1: you are on Highway Assist and have the ACC Set to exactly the speed limit, then as you pass the Gantry it will drop to the new speed. (But after a while if it does not confirm the speed it goes back to the posted limit for the road) Unless there is a vehicle in front keeping the speed low

2: you are on Highway Assist with the ACC Set at any speed other than the speed limit for the road, it just advises and flashes to change your speed but not automatically

Both options can be turned off in the menus

·
Registered
554 Posts
Having just completed my Driver Speed Awareness course as an alternative to three points on my licence, I have been reminded that speed limits on motorway gantries come in two flavours. Apologies in advance to those who already know this but….
The first with numbers and flashing orange lights in each corner is purely advisory.
The second with numbers in a red circle is mandatory.
Does the EV6 know the difference?
In any case, I don’t use the cruise control for many of the reasons mentioned but am tempted by the speed limiter to reduce chances of speeding on motorways.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Having just completed my Driver Speed Awareness course as an alternative to three points on my licence, I have been reminded that speed limits on motorway gantries come in two flavours. Apologies in advance to those who already know this but….
The first with numbers and flashing orange lights in each corner is purely advisory.
The second with numbers in a red circle is mandatory.
Does the EV6 know the difference?
In any case, I don’t use the cruise control for many of the reasons mentioned but am tempted by the speed limiter to reduce chances of speeding on motorways.
Yes as the ones with the flashing yellow lights don't have the red circle. No red circle and the car does not respond

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,576 Posts
Frankly it ought to slow for both, or at very least warn for the advisory ones.
I am very concerned about the inconsistencies on these systems both in design and user customisation. The get out always appears to be RTFM and the driver is supposed to be concentrating at all times, but we all know that the former doesn't happen and latter defeats the object of all of the tech.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Yes it’s literally just OCR, like your scanner or photocopier. It’s not new technology.

Reactions: stageshoot

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was driving through a long section of the M1 with a speed restriction of 60mph on the gantries with the active cruise set to 60mph. Most of the time it kept at 60mph or if the traffic slowed kept a safe distance before speeding back up to 60mph.

But a couple of times it indicated 70mph in the HUD speed sign (even though the gantries were still showing 60mph). I had to manually brake to slow back to 60 mph.

Reading the manual I expect this is something to do with the navigation-based smart cruise control (SCC) which supposedly uses road information from the navigation function while SCC is operating perhaps picking up some incorrect data.

Is there a good video guide to all the safety systems and what the icons mean as the manual is hard to consume!

There are multiple icons and word to get one’s head around which seem to be either green, white or flashing including
Lane safety icon
Steering wheel icon
Cruise icon and speed (yellow when approaching a speed camera)
HDA
Lane change assist

In the end I just wanted to switch it all off and drive the traditional way as I actually found all the pulling and adjusting and multiple flashing icons and words a bit stressful 😀
Yes M1 it must have sections in NAV that is receded at 70mph. The way around this is to set the system to 61 or 59 mph in a 60. This then overrules the auto HDA speed limit system so then all works fine. Then once you hit normal speed limit adjust to national limit and the system then re-activated auto HDA. Remember the system is “Assist” not “control”

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,576 Posts
Once you start having work around something it kind of defeats the purpose - you may as well just set it each time the limit changes.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Agreed, I’d never trust auto speed limit changes given how flawed the system is.

ACC and lane follow are pretty solid these days, but whoever thought it was a good idea to attach 1990s-standard OCR to the brake-by-wire system was ambitious to the say the least.

Reactions: stageshoot
1 - 17 of 17 Posts