Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MY14 Volt
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, went to get wife's Zoe out garage, but one rear wheel seized. Clearly a handbrake problem. Tried back and forth to free it.
In the end got it out the garage by having the locked wheel slide on a bit of wood.
It seems to rotate so far then lock.
Should I risk more aggressive attempts to free it or Jack it up and have a look?
Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Could be corrosion, was it driven in the wet before parking up in the garage? Handbrake left on overnight.? If driving the car back and forth a few feet each way does not work, you might need to jack up rear, remove wheel and drum. Might be best to get drum removal instructions in case there are brake shoe adjusters that need to be manually backed off.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
As above, but hit the backplate using a decent size hammer and long bit of 4x2. Try to tap near the studs (opposite where the cable goes in).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
As above, but hit the backplate using a decent size hammer and long bit of 4x2. Try to tap near the studs (opposite where the cable goes in).
Try doing that with your new-fangled disc brakes!

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
720 Posts
Hi all, went to get wife's Zoe out garage, but one rear wheel seized. Clearly a handbrake problem. Tried back and forth to free it.
In the end got it out the garage by having the locked wheel slide on a bit of wood.
Should I risk more aggressive attempts to free it or Jack it up and have a look?
Thanks
Simon
Could you let us know whether your wife's ZOE is a ZE50 (which has rear disc brakes) or a ZE40 or earlier (which have rear drum brakes).

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Thanks
Simon
If it rotates a bit then locks, this indicates one of the shoes is stuck to the drum and is being prised off its mounts. Likely to cause damage to the mechanism so dismantling would be most conservative option.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,098 Posts
If it rotates a bit then locks, this indicates one of the shoes is stuck to the drum and is being prised off its mounts. Likely to cause damage to the mechanism so dismantling would be most conservative option.
Exactly this. Don't whack what you haven't checked visually first. You might successfully dislocate the pad and have it rattling around inside the drum. Car will drive but it'll be "fun" slowing down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts