Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Greetings, new to this forum.

Only had my brand new e-Niro 2020 for 6 days and its a fantastic car. However, I already have a problem and wondered if anyone has seen this before?

Just washed my car with a hose on sprinkler setting and not a jet wash getting water into places under pressure and now when I put the car into reverse I get a blue screen instead of the camera. The usual sensor car picture is there on the right and a pop up appears to adjust the brightness settings, etc (see photo).

I can't believe washing the car has caused an issue.

Forgot to mention that I have replaced the single nearside reversing light bulb to an LED as per the EV-olution video and the internal lights to LED as on this forum. Maybe the rear camera is linked to the power to the reversing light and this LED is interfering with it?

Many thanks for any help.
IMG_20200712_124213.jpg

A

·
Registered
36 Posts
It does sound like the led bulb is interfering. Have you tried swapping it back. I've found some leds do cause some electrical gremlins to appear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Working again now! I started to change back all the interior led bulbs just in case as these are easier than taking the underneath cover off and checking the camera each time. Nothing! I read on another website for a different EV that getting the system to boot up from the manufacturer's symbol on the screen often works. I just left it a couple of hours and when I turned on the car it started this time with the Kia/Uvo symbol on screen then the rear camera screen was working fine. And I didn't have to change back the reversing led bulb!

Does anyone know if there is a button sequence to press/hold to get the system to reboot without going back to factory defaults, resetting and losing any custom settings e.g long pressing the volume on/off button?

Thanks
A

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
That sounds far more like water getting in that evaporated off over the course of a couple of hours, particularly on a warm, breezy day like today. Might be worth getting the dealer to check the wiring as it shouldn't do that after a gentle sprinkling...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Working again now! I started to change back all the interior led bulbs just in case as these are easier than taking the underneath cover off and checking the camera each time. Nothing! I read on another website for a different EV that getting the system to boot up from the manufacturer's symbol on the screen often works. I just left it a couple of hours and when I turned on the car it started this time with the Kia/Uvo symbol on screen then the rear camera screen was working fine. And I didn't have to change back the reversing led bulb!

Does anyone know if there is a button sequence to press/hold to get the system to reboot without going back to factory defaults, resetting and losing any custom settings e.g long pressing the volume on/off button?

Thanks
A
This is for the 2019 First Edition, it may be the same for the 2020 4 version:
Look between the Power/Volume knob for the infotainment system and the Radio button and you'll find a small hole containing a sunken button. Press that briefly with a small object such as a straightened paper clip and that will reboot the infotainment system.

Reactions: rosinchard

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well now the rear camera has failed completely and I've got a permanent blue screen in reverse. Crap for a 3 week old car. Got to take it in and leave all day. Can't have a loan car due to Covid! If needs new camera then they have no idea how long for a new one to be delivered as not a stock item and will come from overseas. Could be weeks. They said as car's driveable then not a problem waiting! Yes I realise that but that's not the point when you get a brand new car and something fails already. Spoils the experience really. When it does arrive got to leave it with them again, no loan car!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would make sure you switch the LEDs back out, as if they come back with that causing the failure it wouldn't be covered by warranty.
Not sure about loan car as I just had my HEV niro in for a service yesterday and they loaned me a e Niro for the day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah definitely going to put the halogens back in. I already did when it first happened and still was blue so don't think it's the LEDs. They could easily say warranty void if I leave LEDs in. I think the loan car and Covid is an individual dealer rule as someone wasn't that concerned when the driver drove my new car 80 miles to deliver it to me!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car went in today and they've said there is a fault with the camera so ordered a new one. Bit odd on a brand new car. Should be done in 2 days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A lot of electronics follow what is called a bath tub curve - so high number of faults when brand new - usually manufacturing defects or batches of components being right on the ends of tolerances causing issue, then relatively few failures mid-life and then high failures again as stuff gets older. Glad it is getting fixed though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts