Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a NextBase 312GW camera fitted to to my car since I bought it, its just plugged into the front socket. I have thought a rear facing camera would be a good idea for some time but I do not feel confident playing about with the cars electrics so haven't done it.
However after being tailgated for 3 miles this morning by a 4WD right on my bumper while the err lady ate her breakfast, swigged from a can, smoked a fag and answered the phone I think I really need to get one.
This may be unfair but I don't have much faith in Halfords capabilities for hard wiring a rear camera.
Can anyone offer advice on a company that would supply and fit a rear camera for me.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You could easily fit one yourself.

There's a fuse box in rear left, need to check what the live fuses are, and buy a piggy-back fuse for it, they are quite cheap.

Also, does the camera take 12V or USB 5V?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could easily fit one yourself.

There's a fuse box in rear left, need to check what the live fuses are, and buy a piggy-back fuse for it, they are quite cheap.

Also, does the camera take 12V or USB 5V?
Thanks @RunningStrong Im old school and know nothing about Canbus wiring which I dont want to upset. Im not familiar with a piggy-back fuse, I will have a look, are there any risks?
The NextBase 312GW camera I have on the front just plugs into the 12v socket in the dashboard storage.
I noticed later today that there is a NextBase Duo with font and rear camera but I doubt that there would be a big enough view for the rear camera. I wonder if anyone here has experience of it.
Nextbase DUO - Front and Rear Dash Cam | Nextbase

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nextbase do a 'permanent' fitting kit. You basically remove a fuse that is powered when the car is powered up, plug in a jumper cable, re insert the fuse for the existing supply and then plug into the dashcam.
Thanks h8ten, I wasn't aware of that, I think that is what I will do.
I will check on here to see how the routing of the cables go and best position to mount the camera, I will probably buy another NextBase 312GW as the one I have on the front has been excellent.
Thanks to you both for the advice.
Phil

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's a good question on where you can you mount it. Being a hatchback I would assume mounted to the glass hatch, but this will eventually affect the alignment and adhesive holding the camera in place(through opening and closing).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a good question on where you can you mount it. Being a hatchback I would assume mounted to the glass hatch, but this will eventually affect the alignment and adhesive holding the camera in place(through opening and closing).

Any ideas?
I cant see an obvious place, I hoped someone here had found a good place. Failing that it would have to be a front and rear facing camera like the NextBase Duo but Im not convinced the rear facing camera with a zoom lens would be adequate. I will ask in the General EV Discussion Forum to see if anyone has tried the Duo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts