Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - got my model 3 SR+ a week and a bit ago, and generally very very happy with it. However, I have what I think is a fault with the rear door openers. I called it in to Tesla and they confused me further, by leaving a voicemail saying it might be a fault, but then cancelling the service appointment saying it was as designed.

So before I go back to Tesla I want to check with other Model 3 owners. Does your rear door behave like mine or not?

The behaviour: if I press and hold the door open button, the window drops and stays dropped, and the door can be opened just fine.

If I press and release the door open button, like a casual user naturally would, the window drops, rises again, then drops again. The door cannot be opened - it catches on the latch with a small gap, neither open nor properly closed.

I've tried to capture it in this video. 20200915_160603.mp4

Is this design, or a fault?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
The window opens slightly to avoid any impact stress on the glass in the action of banging the opening or shutting the door. It is to ensure long term quality of the frame-less window.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's perfectly normal. It looks like you're not pushing the door fully open as you press the button down so it thinks the door is still closed hence why the window goes back up.
Thanks. Are you saying that if you press and release your door button without pushing on the door, you get down-up-down movement like I do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The window opens slightly to avoid any impact stress on the glass in the action of banging the opening or shutting the door. It is to ensure long term quality of the frame-less window.
Thanks, I know that. I'm asking about the down-up-down movement that I experience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks. Are you saying that if you press and release your door button without pushing on the door, you get down-up-down movement like I do?

Yep. Happens all the time when I have passengers at the back and they're unfamiliar with how to open the car door. I wouldn't worry about it.

The important thing is that it goes down as the door opens, even if the door is only slightly opened. This is to avoid damaging the window. Once the door is slightly open and you release the button, it doesn't matter too much if the window goes back up again. So long as the window doesn't catch with the top arch then there will be no damage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine seem slightly different. Door pops out after window lowers. Looks like yours doesn't do that.
1st two times i just press the button. 3rd time onward i hold the door closed & it behaves as yours does. If you get the pressure right you can get it to freak out !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. Happens all the time when I have passengers at the back and they're unfamiliar with how to open the car door. I wouldn't worry about it.

The important thing is that it goes down as the door opens, even if the door is only slightly opened. This is to avoid damaging the window. Once the door is slightly open and you release the button, it doesn't matter too much if the window goes back up again. So long as the window doesn't catch with the top arch then there will be no damage.
thanks. If I successfully open the door then the window does not raise again, but if the door stays on the latch, it does. If it is by design, then it is an odd design decision!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi try doing it not holding the door handle just press the button and the door should slightly open
that doesn't happen with my car. it's that exact operation that triggers down-up-down and the door being stuck slightly open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts